Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

KAB Review

Options
I purchased the SS KAB and divider.  I  have not yet used the divider, but I have used the KAB a few times and find it to be a very nice replacement/improvement over the stock CI grate.  There is no doubt that I was having lump plug up the holes in the CI grate as well as partially plug up some of the holes in the firebox and ultimately affecting flow.  KAB solved that problem.  I am a slow learner....and wish I would have done it sooner.

Bon Appetit ladies and gentlemen!

The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.

Comments

• dshaffes
    Options
    I've had my KAB for about a year and love it.  So easy to shake ash out and works great for airflow.  I'll be interested how the divider works for 2 zone fire.  Keep us posted.
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    dshaffes said:
    I've had my KAB for about a year and love it.  So easy to shake ash out and works great for airflow.  I'll be interested how the divider works for 2 zone fire.  Keep us posted.

Will do.  It's a very well made device.  I am glad that I opted for the SS version.
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • RajunCajun
    edited December 2017
    Options
    12212017 Update:  I have now used my KAB several times and I am very pleased with the increased flow of air through the bottom vent and through the lump pile.  As a long-time egg owner, I think we have all noticed that over time, lump size has decreased and the end result contributes to the possibility of plugged holes in the firebox, etc.  The KAB seems to solve that issue as it seems to keep the lump slightly away from the firebox wall....or at least that is how my eyesight sees it (after a few beers).  I realize that the KAB also makes it easier to pull the basket out and shake that ash....and I like that feature as well.  There's a lotta kicking that ash in my future.  My suggestion is to buy it and don't look back.   
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I'm sorry but I told you so!!!!!! Enjoy the better air flow!

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• RajunCajun
    Options
    I'm sorry but I told you so!!!!!! Enjoy the better air flow!

Yes sir!  I never claimed to be the sharpest shovel in the barn, but I can still dig.  Merry Christmas!
  • gbvinla
    Options
    bought  one in my one of my LGE and can't think of a better bang for my buck.  Highly recommend them. Expect to see another one for my other egg under the tree.
    Large BGE x2  Now we're cookin' in Dothan Al.
  • RajunCajun
    Options
    gbvinla said:
    bought  one in my one of my LGE and can't think of a better bang for my buck.  Highly recommend them. Expect to see another one for my other egg under the tree.

I've got another gadget in mind that I would love to see them produce and sell.  
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Someday! I've got to do a detailed ash removal tomorrow before the Christmas turkey cook on Saturday at the crack of dawn.
  • RajunCajun
    Options
    @Gulfcoastguy , ya gotta do it, I waited far too long to get mine.  I think I am going to do a few turkey drumsticks tomorrow to put some time on the Smobot.  Time to do a little research on turkey drumsticks.  Just thinking, I wonder if they sell emu legs...now that's a thought.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Love mine as well. Makes it better all around from getting fire ready to go and maintaining consistent temps. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • RajunCajun
    Options
    @JohnnyTarheel , the KAB has cut my "time to cook" time down by 50%.  I must admit, I was skeptical at first.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Well someday looks like 2 business days for Fed Ex to deliver. I have a will of steel, held out nearly 11 hours.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have two and I love them. I have one for the MM and one for the XL.

It may have just been my XL, but I do know other XL owners, who ran the KAB without the cast iron stock grate, and ended up with a cracked base. I ran mine for about a year, before the crack showed up. Found it while cleaning it out. I ran it without the cast iron grate at that time.

Since then, on the XL, after replacing the base, I run it with the grate. I have been doing that for about a year now, and have had no problems.

It also helps if you leave some ash on the bottom to further insulate it from the heat.
    It could be that my XL egg may have been defective, as well as all the others who experenced, the same issue, who knows?

I will say that running it with the grate and the KAB, has had zero impact on airflow, it still is an easy clean up, and still gets the temp where you want it in a hurry.

I do like the KAB,  recommend it, and still use it. I was just wanting to share my experience, and let you know there could be a potential issue. 

Hoping you never have the same problem. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • RajunCajun
    Options
    @YukonRon, Good info, thanks.  Was the crack along the side of the base or at the bottom?  Was the crack obvious?  I always remove the fire ring and box to clean out the ash before doing a long cook...and I always "inspect" for anything obvious.  Just wondering if I would even notice a hairline crack and if a hairline crack in the base would be enough to cause a leak resulting in funky temp characteristics.

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    agree with @YukonRon.   Going on my 3rd replacement base on my XL.   Ron is going to make a fortune off all the Rutlands I have to buy.   But come to think of it, I may not need the long-term gasket at this rate....
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • YukonRon
    Options
    @RajunCajun
    Mine was along the bottom, in the center and it looked like heat expansion to me, and it was obvious. It showed on both top and bottom of the base.
    I am not so sure a hairline crack would be an issue regarding funky temp characteristics, however, any crack can have detrimental effects.
    If there is a crack be sure to get it exchanged asap, as spilling hot coals is never a good thing.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • RajunCajun
    Options
    @YukonRon

Thanks for the info.  Sounds like I am good.  Will certainly continue to look for cracks.  Do you do any high temp burnouts or cooks by chance?
  • YukonRon
    Options
    I have not done a high temp burnout, and have done high temp cooks. With the grate there is no problem.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    So is anybody having cracked bases using a KAB without the iron grate on any size other than an XL? There seem to be a lot of cracked XL bases lately. At least going by what I hear on the site.
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    I've been running KAB's on my MM for about 3 years and on my Large for about 2.  No issues with base cracks to date.
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    So it might be an XL problem?
  • YukonRon
    Options
    I run my MM w/o the grate, no issues, 2 years.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Have had my KAB in my large for a couple years,  no grate, love it, works well. But, it's gotten pretty rusty looking and kind of bent up.  I don't think it impacts performance, only aesthetics.  And lump-holding aesthetics isn't any where near the top of my list of grievances.  All that said, and because Knowledge Is Good, I'm curious to know whether others have experienced similar issues.    
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • RajunCajun
    Options
    @HendersonTRKing , I went with the SS model in hope that it will last a bit longer.  Good to hear that you like yours....the KAB are good folks to deal with.

• baldeagle7007
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I have two and I love them. I have one for the MM and one for the XL.

It may have just been my XL, but I do know other XL owners, who ran the KAB without the cast iron stock grate, and ended up with a cracked base. I ran mine for about a year, before the crack showed up. Found it while cleaning it out. I ran it without the cast iron grate at that time.

Since then, on the XL, after replacing the base, I run it with the grate. I have been doing that for about a year now, and have had no problems.

It also helps if you leave some ash on the bottom to further insulate it from the heat.
    It could be that my XL egg may have been defective, as well as all the others who experenced, the same issue, who knows?

I will say that running it with the grate and the KAB, has had zero impact on airflow, it still is an easy clean up, and still gets the temp where you want it in a hurry.

I do like the KAB,  recommend it, and still use it. I was just wanting to share my experience, and let you know there could be a potential issue. 

Hoping you never have the same problem. 
    Are you still able to fill up with lump into the Fire Ring above the Fire box ??
    Without any problems?

Thanks, Jim Rice
    Jim

"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in."

XL
    MiniMax
    MHP Gasser
    Thermoworks Smoke & Thermapen
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Are you still able to fill up with lump into the Fire Ring above the Fire box ??
    Without any problems?

Thanks, Jim Rice
    Yep, no problem.
    Stillwater, MN
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    My XL base has cracked twice on me so far.
    I don't  run a KAB on my egg.
    I would like to get one for my MM.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    XL bases cracked long before KAB's came around.
  • Shawnodell83
    Options
    Love mine! 
    Edwardsville, IL (Near St. Louis, MO)
    Large Big Green Egg & Weber Genesis II 
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Neither of my XL bases have cracked. They both have KABs in them. Love em.