Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Lunar Photography for Upcoming Super Moon

December 4, 2017 at 0400 the exact time it will be closesest to the earth, giving us our first full moon, Super Moon, of 2017 according to astronomers.
I am hoping someone can give me insight on the best way to capture it using my Canon SLR.
Any help will be appreciated greatly.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,115
    Being lucky enough to be in a clear sky is key.
    Tripod and long, high quality optics. Bracket your exposures. Most of the newer cameras have this function built in. The moon is brighter than most think but also moves faster than most think. It's basically a long distance day light shot in a clear sky. Faster shutter speeds for camera shake using long lenses. 
    I shot some a couple years ago putting little effort into the shoot and it showed. They were marginal at best especially compared to stuff Blair used to post. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 17,073
    @Photo Egg
    I have taken up photography the last couple of years, and any of the keepers I have taken have been, at best, extremely fortunate.
    Thank you for the heads up. I will read and study this week. We will be in the Caribbean. Hoping it works out.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Have a good trip Ron.  You posted somewhere you were off for a month.  How long you going for?

Phoenix 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Use a telescope and DSLR.  And you'll need some luck with the weather.

https://www.space.com/31047-how-to-photograph-moon-telescope.html

blasting said:

Have a good trip Ron.  You posted somewhere you were off for a month.  How long you going for?

@blasting
    Not really sure at this point, I have a project that may require me to hop a plane sometime in the process.
    We are planning two to three weeks, but we will see.
    Thank you for the well wishes

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Use a telescope and DSLR.  And you'll need some luck with the weather.

https://www.space.com/31047-how-to-photograph-moon-telescope.html

Thank you, I will see what I can come up with.
    Hope it turns out.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,115
    YukonRon said:
    @Photo Egg
    I have taken up photography the last couple of years, and any of the keepers I have taken have been, at best, extremely fortunate.
    Thank you for the heads up. I will read and study this week. We will be in the Caribbean. Hoping it works out.
    @Gator Bait uses a high end angled spotting scope with camera adapter.
    Not as good as a good telescope but much more portable. And his stuff is always great.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Good advice so far. Use the sturdiest tripod you can find. I would recommend a remote release. Use manual mode. In my experience an Fstop of about F8 and shutter of about 1/125 to 1/500 works out. ISO 400 or 800. As Photo_Egg pointed out you are actually taking a daylight photo since the full moon is reflecting light from the sun.

Good luck - post pics!
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • nolaegghead
    SciAggie said:
    Good advice so far. Use the sturdiest tripod you can find. I would recommend a remote release. Use manual mode. In my experience an Fstop of about F8 and shutter of about 1/125 to 1/500 works out. ISO 400 or 800. As Photo_Egg pointed out you are actually taking a daylight photo since the full moon is reflecting light from the sun.

Good luck - post pics!
    Rather than a remote shutter I set the timer to the shortest setting - I think around 4 seconds.  Also, if you can, lock the mirror up if it's a DSLR. 
    SciAggie said:

Good luck - post pics!
    Yup, "sunny f16" exposure.  Back out to your widest aperture, then adjust ISO  to what you need to prevent movement with the focal length lens you're using.

Just a hint, photos of the full moon are kinda flat, as there's no shadow detail; they're much more interesting at half-lit (waxing or waning) as the craters and mountains really "pop".  

I once lived just a stone's throw away from a family who all died of mysterious head injuries. 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Rather than a remote shutter I set the timer to the shortest setting - I think around 4 seconds.  Also, if you can, lock the mirror up if it's a DSLR. 
    Yup, that works. I just don't think about it since I have a release. Good advice.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,160
    would be fun to own one of these nikons, not the best quality but i see a place for it

https://youtu.be/pDIPZFqfGGo

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 905
    Tripod is essential. You'll have time, and you can immediately see how it came out. Try a few different exposure times, and filters.. you can boost your "film speed" in the settings menu, that makes night filming a real adventure. Crank it all the way up. 

I don't know much, I use a 10 year old Nikon D60, but sometimes I get one that looks like I know what I'm doing. 

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    The trouble is that the moon is moving quite quickly.
    Roughly 1/4 degree per minute.   
    This means you need to get exposure down to hand-holdable range, at least for the speed.    The lens also needs to admit enough light ('fast enough') so you don't crank the ISO up to the Noise Level range.  

'Cranking your Film Speed' all the way 'up' is futile on a Digital Camera.    The nomenclature these days is ISO.   Related but not Quite the same thing and the effect is vastly different.    Digital Noise is easily distinguished from Film Grain by any veteran of film days.  

I dont' see ANY kit lens capable of this performance.   And long glass of the higher speeds (F2.8 and better) will get REAL expensive REAL fast.  

For BEST results, shoot in Mid-Apertures.    For most lenses, this will be around F8 to F11.   Smaller and wider apertures both have problems for the ultimate image.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    If you are in need of a long lens, consider renting a high end one.
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited November 2017

It's just another full moon. Actually nothing new to see, just larger.

Could you get the same effect using a zoom lens every full moon?

Viewing or photo-ing along the terminator will reveal the moons topography.

A full moon is so bright we would play golf by it in Tucson. 

Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• YukonRon

It's just another full moon. Actually nothing new to see, just larger.

Could you get the same effect using a zoom lens every full moon?

Viewing or photo-ing along the terminator will reveal the moons topography.

A full moon is so bright we would play golf by it in Tucson. 

I love the remote desert at night. You will have a shadow cast down upon the ground when the moon is full, and the sky is nothing but stars. I found myself looking for the dark night sky in between the stars, not looking for stars in the night sky.
    Amazing place to be.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,381
    You want the moon-I give you July 20, 1969.  The real-time exchanges between Houston, Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin (and the computer trying to do the right thing) are ice-water recordings.  Nothing more to add.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,373
    @JohnInCarolina was just saying yesterday that if you can hold out until Butt blast '18 that he would be happy to help you get a true super moon - full moon shot.   
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Photo Egg said:
    YukonRon said:
    @Photo Egg
    Not as good as a good telescope but much more portable. And his stuff is always great.
    Here's Blair's post (from 2011) on the equipment he uses. The photo bucket scam disabled the pics, but the words (and links) are still there.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1184377&catid=1

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• YukonRon
    thetrim said:
    @JohnInCarolina was just saying yesterday that if you can hold out until Butt blast '18 that he would be happy to help you get a true super moon - full moon shot.   
    Not to unusual from this group, just sayin'.......I think I am good. Thanks to all for the offers.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Photo Egg said:
    YukonRon said:
    @Photo Egg
    Here's Blair's post (from 2011) on the equipment he uses. The photo bucket scam disabled the pics, but the words (and links) are still there.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1184377&catid=1
    Thank you, appreciate the insight and help.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,613
    edited December 2017
    Playing around tonight learning. Never thought I’d have to close it down so much. Still not really good but leaps and bounds better than before.  f16 1/1600

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Just went out to try to take a pic with my phone. It was not having any of it, and I didn't want to go dig out my DSLR. @DoubleEgger - very cool shot.

My observations, it's pretty friggin cold out there without a coat. Also, if the moon was always that bright, I wouldn't need outdoor lighting. It is impressive.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • nolaegghead
    Our Brisket Camp lawyer has a few lunar shots in his flickr feed.  You have to dig.  

Dylan Utley shared a photo with you from the Flickr app! Check it out: https://flic.kr/p/CsUgDV
    Photo Egg said:
    YukonRon said:
    @Photo Egg

Thank you, appreciate the insight and help.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Playing around tonight learning. Never thought I’d have to close it down so much. Still not really good but leaps and bounds better than before.  f16 1/1600

Nice shot Michael. Hope mine comes out 1/2 as great as that.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Our Brisket Camp lawyer has a few lunar shots in his flickr feed.  You have to dig.  

Dylan Utley shared a photo with you from the Flickr app! Check it out: https://flic.kr/p/CsUgDV
    This portfolio is superb. I wish I had the skill set represented by these images, Dylan know a good image, and is excellent with the use of light in the process.
    Absolutely some of the finest photography I have ever seen in my life.
    Thank you for sharing, thank Dylan for teaching me something. He taught me not to ever show my pictures to anyone.
    Dude's got it going on.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Ron, your d&mn super moon woke every dog in the neighborhood up along with these squawky little people I live with. 

Guess its time to start the coffee. You better have some good pics. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• YukonRon
    Ron, your d&mn super moon woke every dog in the neighborhood up along with these squawky little people I live with. 

Guess its time to start the coffee. You better have some good pics. 
    Sorry man, mine suck but not as bad as usual. I did not have the glass for what I was trying to do.
    That moon gave the ocean a "Moon River" effect, I had to really cut out the light, and really speed up the exposure. Maxed out on both, actually, I have never seen it so bright, even though I have been in some remote deserts in my time.
    Bad news, there will be a couple more of these in January. Be prepared.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky