Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Pork burnt ends--ruined

I did pork belly burnt ends, bought from Costco, twice with excellent results. I had followed Malcolm Reed's method and required about 5 hours for the cook--3 hours smoking them, 1.5 hours in honey/sugar/butter followed by 15 min in glaze.

So thought of doing something special on Thanksgiving. Bought 9.5lbs pork belly from Snake River Farms. Put them for 3 hours at 275 and when went to take them out for the next phase , IT was already at 225F.  I was not using meat probe as did not believe I needed one as had already cooked burnt ends twice before .

Lesson learned--ALWAYS use meat probes. SRF pork belly cooks really fast.

Am glad that I am not hosting dinner today but wanted to contribute something this evening.

Bucks County, PA
Minimax, XL, Flameboss 200, Roccbox

Comments

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 16,794
    Dang- great plan on your part.  Sorry to read that.  Like you, I have never thought of applying a thermo to pork belly burnt ends.  Was the texture totally trashed due to the speed of the cook?  The belly looks like it has a good amount of fat to render.  Thanks for the PSA.
    Time to get positive and have a Happy Thanksgiving.  
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
  • The texture was still great. My wife who doesn’t like pork was raving about quality of meat. I will definitely try SRF again 
    Bucks County, PA

• @lousubcap. Thanks. Have a great Thanksgiving as well

Bucks County, PA

• I bet those are still awfully good!
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." - NdGT

"The truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand." - DT

• [email protected] After carefully removing most of the burnt parts I am still taking it for dinner 
    Bucks County, PA

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 16,794
    @NewbeeMinimax - great move on your part.  They will be gone quite quickly.  
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
  • bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 16,519
    Good save.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Update: served it for dinner—it was the first dish to run out. Most people didn’t notice  that they were over cooked. It’s a great crowd pleasure dish AND SRF pork made the difference. Am happy with the outcome :)
    Bucks County, PA

• SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 9,866
    They look great from here- just like extra crispy bacon! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• FoghornFoghorn Posts: 6,496
    Yep.  I'd hit that.

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX