Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Paella Grill MkII, Pulled Pork, Bread, and Stuffed Crepes - a fun weekend.

Options
2»

Comments

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    That is stupid huge. My mouth is watering just thinking about the scale of the cook. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    That looks fantastic. Great socarrat. 

For the big day, though it wont be cheap, I recommend going with bomba rice (https://www.tienda.com/products/bomba-paella-rice-peregrino-rc-03.html)

Also, seafood paella will be tough on that monster, given the relatively narrow window between "done" and "hammered".  Chicken and merguez (or andouille) would be much more predictable.

Very nicely done. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @20stone Oh, I’m ready for the big day. I have Bomba rice, really good ($) saffron, homemade broth, Spanish chorizo, and some nice smoked paprika already on deck. I’m planning on mixed protein for the group. I’m thinking chicken thighs (w/bone and skin), Spanish chorizo (already purchased), shrimp, and mussels. I made add some roasted red pepper strips and some nice green beans as well - not too many, but enough for flavor and garnish. And we’ll have lemon wedges around the edge of the pan when serving. 
    Since nice tomatoes are hard to get right now, I experimented last night. Instead of using the traditional grated tomato and onion for the sofrito, I used a mix of pureed and petite diced can tomatoes with finely chopped onion. It cooked down just as well as the fresh tomato puree. So I may go that way with a good canned tomato opposed to a poor fresh tomato. I’m pretty pumped. 
    I looked for a large format bottle of red wine in Austin (looked online) and couldn’t find one. I thought a 4.5L (jeroboam) bottle of wine would be cool. My thought is it would compliment the shock and awe of that big pan.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Aggie you are killin it dude!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Okay- a great way to convince yourself you needed a test run.  With your skills (you are an instructor...) there was no doubt that you would nail the cook and you did.  Looks like you had favorable wind conditions and that fire burned down to a great coal bed.  
    As above, great soccarat and all around cook.  Can't wait for the family introductory cook.  
    Did you have help removing the pan at the close of the cook as you mentioned empty it is quite heavy and a bit awkward?
    Thanks for the post.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @Mattman3969 Thanks!
    @lousubcap Yes, two people to transfer the pan anywhere is a must. I appreciate the vote of confidence. The test run gave me a chance to discover what size splits of wood or kindling were needed to control temps during the cook. When you add a few liters of liquid it takes a robust fire to get the water up to a boil, then it has to cool a bit to get things back to a simmer. This cook gave me a chance to figure that out. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Excellent choices (both for the trial run and the grande finale).  
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Wow home run Aggie! Can’t wait for the finale. Those are some lucky folks coming over to enjoy that grub.
    Snellville, GA

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Holy soccarat, Batman!! 

That paella is quite the undertaking, but you make easy :)

One question - how's the heat by your shins? Would it help to close off 2 sides? May also keep stray embers from landing on your crocs. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Holy crap.... wow!!!    Don't let an ember fall thru your crocs...  :D
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • caliking
    Options
    caliking said:
    Holy soccarat, Batman!! 

That paella is quite the undertaking, but you make it look easy :)

One question - how's the heat by your shins? Would it help to close off 2 sides? May also keep stray embers from landing on your crocs. 
    Fixed. Not enough coffee in me at the time.

• SciAggie
    Options
    @caliking At one point the fire was a bit toasty. I’m going to make a couple of little heat shields from some pieces of tin. That will do double duty by deflecting heat off of me and blocking wind from the fire. 
    I also have a piece of expanded metal I plan to bend into a circle. It will sit on the bottom and keep coals from rolling out into my crocs. 
    I’m learning that fire management is easier with small kindling sized pieces of wood. It’s desirable for the fire to catch, flame briefly, then die down.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    That looks amazing.  All of it.  But especially the socarrat.  
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @HendersonTRKing Thank you. I rub the bottom of the pan and “feel” for the socarrat. When it feels a bit sticky, it’s done. Before that, the forks slides smoothly on the bottom. Once you get the feel for it, it’s pretty easy to nail it. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @SciAggie said:
    ...I’m learning that fire management is easier with small kindling sized pieces of wood. It’s desirable for the fire to catch, flame briefly, then die down.

That's the key to stick burner fire management/control as well.
    You next addition ;)

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @SciAggie said:
    ...I’m learning that fire management is easier with small kindling sized pieces of wood. It’s desirable for the fire to catch, flame briefly, then die down.
    That's the key to stick burner fire management/control as well.
    You next addition ;)

Yeah, I hope my kids make good money - they won’t have any inheritance except for a bunch of cooking stuff. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    You win.
    You freaking win.
    Absolutely coolest, best, delicious looking, fun, envy causing, awesome, righteous, beautiful, logical, hunger starting, cash spending causing, creative, inspiring, best use of fire in outdoor kitchen, I have ever seen.
    As always. =)
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @YukonRon Thanks my friend. (It’s all smoke and mirrors)
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    You're going to have a camera crew over your shoulder and be mic'd up before you know it! That looks fantastic!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    My oldest would faint at the site of that paella in person.   It’s his favorite thing I cook.  Unfortunate, because it’s tough to nail.  Yours is amazing!

This might be one my all time favorite posts.  I haven’t bookmarked a post in years, but this one is bananas.  

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• lousubcap
    Options
    @SaltySam - what follows is a technique I took (he offered) from @SciAggie to nail the soccarat.  It is the best method I have come across.  Definitely takes the worry out of being close.  With thanks again to @SciAggie - here you go:

"Soccarrat - There is a trick I've learned to making a consistent soccarrat. Push the tines of a fork against the bottom of the pan and scrape it back and forth - to feel the bottom. It slides easily as the rice is cooking. As the soccarrat develops, the fork will begin to "stick" a little - that's the rice browning. Once that happens around the pan, it's done. Rotate the pan around the fire to make sure you toast things evenly."  

You will never wonder again!

• SciAggie
    Options
    @WeberWho Thank you for the kind words. 
    @lousubcap I’m glad you found that helpful. I’ll add that covering the paella with a towel when you take it off the heat is also important. It steams everything a bit. I think it helps release the socarrat from the pan. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @SciAggie - I loosely cover with foil (15.5" vertical handled pan) on a LBGE upon removal for around 5-10 minutes. I have never looked for or anticipated a release as I am quite pleased with the sticky rice consistency and soccarat.  But I'm always game for improvement with the cook.  Any thoughts?
    Probably my # 2 favorite cook behind the proverbial brisket as that presents so many variables with every turn.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @lousubcap That’s exactly how I do it. 5-10 minutes of rest. Release is probably poor wording on my part. Yes, it’s still sticky but I think the short rest makes it easier to scrape the socarrat from the bottom as opposed to trying it right away.  Paella is fun for sure. You have to stay focused 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    Options
    SciAggie= Paella Whisperer :)