Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Thrift Shop Find

I found an amazing deal through a friend while camping a couple weekends ago. My wife and I have a common friend from high school who we are still very good friends with. We camp together with our families a couple times a year and the ladies decided to go thrift shopping while out in the country. My wife decided to stay behind and shortly after the other ladies left I got a text message from our friend asking if I was interested in this Egg. I sad to her "hell yes, does it have any cracks" she says to me " just some crazing". That egg came back to the camp site. Her husband is a chef but he never cooks on a small scale so she knew he wouldn't want it. Its a very nice Mini, needs a few parts but Dizzy Pig has me fixed up and has ordered a new Daisy Wheel and band set. Id say it wasn't a bad deal for $40.
Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!

Comments

• What a steal!  Congrats on finding the proverbial diamond in the rough.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Home run score...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Gooooooaaaaaalllll!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Score! It sounds like you owe your friends some good BGE grub
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    WeberWho said:
    Score! It sounds like you owe your friends some good BGE grub
    I always cook the night before we go. We usually do a butt and some ribs. Its amazing how many ways you can eat a smoked pork butt (I had to reword that sentence three time!). They are always happy with my cooks. 
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Nice find.  Congrats on the addition to the family

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    You suck 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    GeorgeS said:
    I found an amazing deal through a friend while camping a couple weekends ago. My wife and I have a common friend from high school who we are still very good friends with. We camp together with our families a couple times a year and the ladies decided to go thrift shopping while out in the country. My wife decided to stay behind and shortly after the other ladies left I got a text message from our friend asking if I was interested in this Egg. I sad to her "hell yes, does it have any cracks" she says to me " just some crazing". That egg came back to the camp site. Her husband is a chef but he never cooks on a small scale so she knew he wouldn't want it. Its a very nice Mini, needs a few parts but Dizzy Pig has me fixed up and has ordered a new Daisy Wheel and band set. Id say it wasn't a bad deal for $40.
    I will give you $50 and come pick it up.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    I hope you didn't have to pay full price. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    I thought you over paid at $4,000.  Then I looked closer.  $40 is a great deal!  Nice score.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    GeorgeS said:
    I'd give you $75 and let @northGAcock pick it up and meet me midway.   

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    GeorgeS said:
    I'd give you $75 and let @northGAcock pick it up and meet me midway.   
    Road trip!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Stolen.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,204
    That's a great deal, and a great story.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    I thought getting a big ol' Griswold for $10 was a good find.... 

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Thanks guys! Some of you all are extremely funny! It’s been a while since I’ve been active in the community. I forgot how awesome you guys are! 

@Teefus I don’t think so. It was found in a thrift shop out in the country. The town had a whopping 100 people or so in it. A bunch of houses out there still have out houses. It’s a very repressed area and I bet most people took one look and said why the hell would I want a 12” grill and had no idea what it was. The way the tape was stuck to it, it had been there a minute. 
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Awesome find! Congrats!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    10% of a new one. Score!!!!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC.