Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- NCAA decision on UNC - OT

Options

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    No surprises especially since the NCAA was entering into a realm where they didn't have jurisdiction; academic issues.  Of course the school was aided by that fact that the courses were also available and taken by non-athletes.
    Should any accrediting agency want to pursue it is more in their area of responsibility than the NCAA.  
    All above said, it's like a known criminal escaping on a technicality-but that's the rules.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    No surprises especially since the NCAA was entering into a realm where they didn't have jurisdiction; academic issues.  Of course the school was aided by that fact that the courses were also available and taken by non-athletes.
    Should any accrediting agency want to pursue it is more in their area of responsibility than the NCAA.  
    All above said, it's like a known criminal escaping on a technicality-but that's the rules.  
    1000%

Any punishment would have been flipped on appeal almost instantly.  The only question was why it took so long, this was the only way it was going to play out.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Finally.  I knew when they got that big commitment, something was known.  

I still do not condone what was done, but that was done before Roy's regime and they imposed their own sanctions too.  

NCAA was witching hunting.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Bottom line it was academic not athletics in regards to classes open to entire student body.  Yeah classes were ridiculous and never should have happened.  Glad it’s over and now recruiting can get back to even playing field... Oh wait we are the current BBall champs... Guess we need to repeat.....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    We all have personal levels of shame and disgrace we tolerate. Big time NCAA athletics is pretty smarmy. The schools are academic institutions. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited October 2017
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @JohnnyTarheel & @tarheelmatt @bucky925 Out of respect for you guys "who I think and awful lot of" I will refrain from posting my thoughts. I would caution you however that a celebration here is not really warranted. Take your good fortune and be humble. See you on the playing field, court or diamond.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    It's entirely possible the faculty who set up these classes and directed athletes to take them did so on their own accord and without pressure from the athletics department or various programs.   I don't think that's likely, but it's possible.  

In any case, it seems clear the NCAA couldn't find a smoking gun.  Something of a technicality there, as others have said.

The bottom line from my view is that athletes benefited from sham courses, which made it easier to maintain their eligibility.   Even at large schools, athletic programs are fairly tightly-knit groups.  The bball players know the football players and the swimmers and so on.  Word of something like this... it gets around.

Regardless of the ruling, what happened here is about as shameful as it gets.  I mean, the head of an institute on ethics was actively advising her student-athlete advisees to take these classes.  The stain from this at UNC won't wear off anytime soon.  And yes I'm not unbiased being at Duke, but the fact is something like this could've happened at a lot of schools, and worse things are probably happening right now.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @JohnnyTarheel & @tarheelmatt @bucky925 Out of respect for you guys "who I think and awful lot of" I will refrain from posting my thoughts. I would caution you however that a celebration here is not really warranted. Take your good fortune and be humble. See you on the playing field, court or diamond.
    I think that's best especially on a Friday.  
    VIDEO: South Carolina Gamecocks Couple Caught Doing NSFW Things In The Stands
    The 2017 banner will be raised tonight at midnight. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    See you on the playing field, court or diamond.
    And maybe finally in an actual class
    Greensboro, NC
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Can we just do away with the NCAA now?  It is obvious it serves no point at all.
    And this isn't just a North Carolina thing.  The NCAA is all of the major programs b!tch.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @YEMTrey - I totally endorse the lack of independent oversight provided by the NCAA.  But the challenge is to put into place something that can serve some oversight and clout when needed.  That's not gonna happen as there is no-one that oversees the NCAA.  Kinda like the cesspool of " who lawyers the lawyers".  
    Since this thread is new- who outside of the big $$ can influence the spineless politicians in DC?  It is the same disease, but a different strain of the virus.  
    Off soap-box but I despise those who are in it for the money grab.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    With this finding, the NCAA has established the proper method for committing academic fraud.

It all makes sense.

It is not permissible for student athletes to cheat in qualification for entrance to college, but completely acceptable for members of the NCAA to cheat, so their student athetes remain in college.

By condoning this method of GPA stat padding (from the very institution that requires minimum GPA standards for student athletes, and monitors graduation rates from member institutions), opens the doors to question any and all previous decisions, rendering any form of punishment, by the NCAA, for academic transgressions. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky