Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Learned things from a BBQ competition team, applied them to my ribs & chicken (long, few pics)

Options
Foghorn
Foghorn Posts: 9,842
edited October 2017 in EggHead Forum

So, as I mentioned on the "What are you doing now?" thread - a couple of weeks ago I had the opportunity to be a guest team member on a good competition BBQ team.  At the time, @lousubcap asked me to share what I learned. It has taken a while for me to digest and apply some of it, but I finally did it yesterday and I'm glad I did. My wife loved pork ribs for the first time in her life. My chicken still has some room for improvement. I didn't get a lot of pictures because I was mostly working alone and it was a lot of work. I didn't incorporate every trick due to the amount of effort required - or just because I didn't want to.  I didn't copy recipes exactly. In fact, I just used the sauces and rubs I already had - most of which had been sitting open for a while. 

Here are the highlights:

Ribs. 

St. Louis cut. Rubbed with Corky's (Memphis restaurant) rub. Cooked indirect over a foil drip pan on foil spacers for 90 minutes at 290 (that's just where the temp settled. I was shooting for 275 or so as I didn't have time for anything lower but I didn't want to go full turbo).  Then I covered the ribs with a thick layer of brown sugar and poured the remnants of some bottles of marinades or sauces that had some chipotle in them. Or maybe it was habanero. I don't honestly remember because it probably doesn't matter. Something with pepper.  I wrapped them in foil and put them back on the grill for 70 minutes. This time was a guesstimate based on the 290 cooking temp and it turned out to be perfect.  In competition we did it for 90 minutes at about 270.  When I unwrapped them nearly all the sugar had melted. I wiped off a couple of clumps that remained. I put the ribs on the grill unwrapped and let some bark set in for 20 minutes. Then I glazed them with a mixture of Sweet Baby Rays Honey BBQ Sauce and Franklin's Vinegar Sauce - because the SBR by itself seemed too thick and with the brown sugar already on the ribs, I thought adding a little salt/vinegar taste would be good. And it's what I had already open in the fridge. The ends of the racks were done (190+ degrees and probing without resistance) within a few minutes.  The middles were lagging (170 degrees and still a little tight).  And I needed to get my chicken on at a higher temp.  So, I cut a few ribs off the end of each rack and FTC'd them and raised the temp.  The rest of the ribs came off about 20 minutes later.  They were money. 

Chicken.

Halfcocked a 5+ pound bird. Rinsed and dried it and applied baking soda to the skin and let it sit in the refrigerator for a couple of hours.  I rinsed off the baking soda and patted the skin dry.  Then I peeled the skin back and applied a light coating of Granny's Magic Spice Cajun Blend (because I had some open in my cabinet) to the underlying meat.  Then I put the skin back and applied the same rub generously to the skin.  Then I cooked them at 375 with the legs (dark meat) in the hotter area of the grill for about 45 minutes until the breast meat was about 140 and the thigh meat was about 160.  I applied the same sauce I used on the ribs and pulled them when the breast meat was at least 155. 

Corn.

I covered 4 shucked ears with margarine, black Hawaiian sea salt, and a garlic spice mix then wrapped them in foil. They cooked about 40 minutes with the chicken at 375. They were a little overcooked. 

Zucchini. 

Sliced and marinated in a ginger orange marinade (had half a bottle in the fridge) and then grilled indirect at 375 for about 15 minutes. 

Guacamole.

Homemade by my wife

Pineapple (not pictured).

Sliced a whole fresh pineapple into chunks and sprinkled on some cinnamon and put it in a foil pan on the egg at 350 for 15 minutes. Ate it for dessert. 

Competition techniques I didn't use.

Multiple layers of rub

Multiple layers of glaze

Defat chicken skin

Brine chicken

Inject chicken

Apply a layer of squeeze margarine before applying the brown sugar to the ribs

Making a sauce of the perfect consistency such that you can drizzle it on from a squirt bottle and it will coalesce without needing to be brushed

Things I may do next time.

Put more rub under the skin. This is especially important when you get a skinless bite. 

Consider injecting and/or brining the chicken - but probably not.

Use butter instead of margarine on the corn and cook it 5 minutes less.

Pick a different beer. A barrel-aged saison fermented with a sour yeast is interesting and wasn't bad, but there are a lot of beers I'd rather drink. 

Thanks for looking. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

Comments

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Nicely done sir. Now where's my beer? =)
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    First up-thanks for sharing and the level of detail above.  But as you have noted, the competition side is a whole lot of work to nail a one or two bite sample for a judge.  While on the work-side you clearly put in a whole lot of effort with your above cook and turned out a great outcome.  Eggcellent results across the board.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Thanks @lousubcap.  While the competition techniques are not for everyone, I'll probably put brown sugar and some kind of pepper marinade on my ribs going forward - at least any time my wife is around.

Thanks @Hotch.  As always, YOUR beer is in MY cooler.  Not sure how that worked out...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options
    I would say you did a bang up job and appreciate you taking the time to share your adventure.  The plating looks tremendous and I would be proud to do something like that any day!!!!  march on brother.....

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Nice detailed description.  I may wrap my spares next time as you described. Smart to cut of the ends when done to finish the thicker portions.  Appreciate the write up. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Thank you brothers @pasoegg and @bgebrent.

San Antonio, TX

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Great looking cook, Fog. 

On the ribs, I've always been reluctant to add sugar. Does it give you a sweet bite, or does it combine with the sauce and rub?

On the tricks, you might try brining poultry. I think it's worth the extra step. 

On on a different note, I bought some datil pepper sauce, and think your wing recipe applied to StL ribs would be a winner. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Thanks @20stone.  I've been pleasantly surprised at how the ribs were only minimally sweet even though I used a full 2 pound bag on brown sugar to cook 2 racks.  (This gets into the excesses of competition cooking and some of the techniques that may not be that useful at home on a regular basis.)  I think pork takes on sweet very well - think ham with pineapple or apple sauce.

I've brined turkeys, but not chickens - just because I usually don't plan that far ahead for a chicken cook.  On this one, I had time for EITHER some time with baking soda on the skin - OR - a brine and I went with the skin treatment.  I may try brining in the future.  Thanks.

I've wondered about incorporating a datil pepper sauce into something other than wings.  I think it might work very well if we find the right combination.  The Buffalo/teriyaki/datil sauce I use on my wings would almost certainly be good and interesting on ribs, but I've thought we'd probably want to reduce or eliminate the Buffalo component and replace it with something that is more mainstream barbecuey.  Maybe the next time we're together we could put a couple of different sauce variations together and play with them on some ribs.  

San Antonio, TX

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    I've wondered about incorporating a datil pepper sauce into something other than wings.  I think it might work very well if we find the right combination.  The Buffalo/teriyaki/datil sauce I use on my wings would almost certainly be good and interesting on ribs, but I've thought we'd probably want to reduce or eliminate the Buffalo component and replace it with something that is more mainstream barbecuey.  Maybe the next time we're together we could put a couple of different sauce variations together and play with them on some ribs.  
    If you will cook them, I'd be happy to render an opinion.  I would be interested to follow the same recipe on a rack, though the flavors might overwhelm the pork (but it would certainly be tasty)
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    It's all about that one bite. Many bbq teams don't use the same technique at home as they do in competition. That one bite might be a great combination but could be overpowering if you were to eat more than that one bite. (Salt for example) Funny how bbq competitions go. I do enjoy it though. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Thanks for the write up, it's cool to hear what others are doing for competition. What I'd really like to achieve is the "lacquer" coat on ribs. Any idea how to make that happen?
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Foghorn
    edited October 2017
    Options
    @blind99, I tried to pay attention but there was a lot going on with multiple meats.  However, after the ribs are essentially done, the rib glaze (I didn't catch exactly what they use) is applied from a squeeze bottle.  It is fairly thin compared to most "BBQ sauces" as most of us know them.  It coalesces just from the dribbling out of the squeeze bottle.  It is a very meticulous process that requires some patience and some relative fine handwork to find the open spots.  They don't want to ever use a brush to spread the sauce.  Then they put it back on the smoker for a few minutes and as it warms up it gets even thinner and forms a nice glaze.  I'm pretty sure there is some sugar in the glaze.   I know that's not enough for you to replicate the process, but it's what I know so far.  I hope to hang with them at some future events and learn more as I go.  I tried to pay attention and ask pertinent questions, but I didn't want to take notes or act like I was trying to steal secrets.  

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    Here are the ribs we (I use that term loosely) cooked in the competition. They did not finish in the top 20 of 63 teams. 

San Antonio, TX

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    If a saison yeast is different from an ale yeast, why do they call saisons "ales".  Is it because they both bottom ferment?  That's always seemed sloppy to me.
    NOLA
  • Foghorn
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    If a saison yeast is different from an ale yeast, why do they call saisons "ales".  Is it because they both bottom ferment?  That's always seemed sloppy to me.
    @buzd504, I don't know what yeast is used for what - or how they classify/name beers.  I just know that I like most saisons.  But this saison had brettanomyces which (as I understand it) is not a typical saison yeast as it is a yeast used to make sours.  That plus the barrel aging (which I generally do like) made it interesting and gave it some depth, but the sour taste just wasn't for me - even though it was not a full on sour.  

San Antonio, TX

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    buzd504 said:
    @buzd504, I don't know what yeast is used for what - or how they classify/name beers.  I just know that I like most saisons.  But this saison had brettanomyces which (as I understand it) is not a typical saison yeast as it is a yeast used to make sours.  That plus the barrel aging (which I generally do like) made it interesting and gave it some depth, but the sour taste just wasn't for me - even though it was not a full on sour.  

Yeah, the bret is the souring agent and doesn't have anything to do with the actual beer (I like sours, generally, but that's another topic).

NOLA
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I enjoyed the read and appreciate your sharing your learnings. Beautiful work.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Thank you @northGAcock.

San Antonio, TX

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Dang those are some good looking ribs! I've thinned sauces to get them on smoother but always end up brushing them on. I'm sure I don't have the patience for drizzling it on like they did!  (HELLO, it's 7:30!!)

i like pretty strong flavors but I couldn't get into the sour beers. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited October 2017
    Options
    The problem with a brush is not so much the brush but the brush marks that can be left on the ribs.  Thinner warmed up sauces are less likely to leave brush marks.  This can impact your appearance scores but if you're cooking to eat and not for competition brush marks don't really matter.  

Nice looking cook @Foghorn!  I'm hungry now
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That's a pretty cool experience. Bet you had a ton of fun. 

I'm surprised you used that much brown sugar. I recall reading somewhere that on the KCBS circuits, it seems that the judges generally prefer a sweeter  bite. I tried the 3-2-1 variations for ribs, with brown sugar and the squeezy butter stuff in the foil, but I'm just too damn lazy to do all that. Ribs turn out pretty good without all the messing around. 

+1 for brining chicken. Or pork chops. Makes a world of a difference. But I usually haven't planned far enough to incorporate that in my cooks. 

Lastly, do whatever is necessary to keep your better half happy. It will ALWAYS be worth it. Especially when you need to spend a day or 2 cutting up a hog in someone's de luxe garage. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I'm with brother @Caliking that brining is legitimate for next level eats on the bird.  Setting it out overnight after a 24-48 hour brine sets you up for the best.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Have you tried Little Brett from Allagash? Good stuff.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks and sounds great.  Sour beers are both an art form in brewing and require a trained palate to appreciate (which I'm sure you have).  That said, most of mine are accidental.
    Options
    The presentation was first rate, thank you for sharing. Much work had gone into this, and much will be taken. The effort is appreciated greatly. Everything looked delicious.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Thanks @R2Egg2Q and @caliking.   I've always really like ribs with just some rub.  But when you discover something that will get your wife to eat something she wouldn't previously eat, I think you've found you're new "normal".  So I'm probably going to go with this technique until further notice.

@Eggcelsior, I have not tried the Allagash Little Brett.  It is a sour?  I haven't learned to like sours yet, but I won't rule it out going forward.  My son seems to like them as his new (first) favorite beer is Duchesse de Bourgogne.

@nolaegghead, I have a fairly limited palate in that I haven't learned to like IPAs or sours much.  So I don't know what a "good" sour tastes like vs a "bad" sour.

@YukonRon, thank you for our kind comments.  As always.  

San Antonio, TX

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited October 2017
    Options
    It's an American Wild Ale. A little tart on the back end from the Brett. Not a sour though.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    @Eggcelsior, that cool and I'd definitely try some if I could get my hands on it.  

Have you tried their Victor - or Victoria?  They sound interesting but I've never found them anywhere I've been.

San Antonio, TX

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Thanks @R2Egg2Q and @caliking.   I've always really like ribs with just some rub.  But when you discover something that will get your wife to eat something she wouldn't previously eat, I think you've found you're new "normal".  So I'm probably going to go with this technique until further notice.

Or make two slabs.  One with the sauces and one with rub only.  I'll often not apply sauce to one slab if I'm making 3 slabs, or not sauce half a slab if making 2 slabs.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    That's a good thought @Ragtop99.  But I have to admit, I really liked these ribs.  Better than any I've cooked in a long time.

San Antonio, TX