Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Thank you Cassini

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,487
Nice to have at least a bit of good news (even if bittersweet), Cassini spacecraft's mission ended this week, with Her plunge into the Saturnian atmosphere.
I actually got to see Her "in the flesh" at the Lockheed Martin plant south of Denver before She was launched.  There was a large controversy about even starting the mission, She ricocheted between several planets, including Earth, to gain the speed to reach Saturn, while carrying a dangerous Plutonium reactor for power (the Sun is too weak out Saturn's way to keep Her powered up).  
Along with gaining info on the Rings, She also discovered liquid water oceans under ice on one of her moons, good probability of life developing there.  My favorite discovery, however, is that the clouds over one of Saturn's poles form a near-perfect hexagon:

THAT blows me away; how/what causes that?!?  

Adieu, Cassini!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Botch said:
     She also discovered liquid water oceans under ice on one of her moons, good probability of life developing there.
    I wonder what kind of lump they prefer?
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    "I wonder what kind of lump they prefer? "

Enceladians buy huge amounts of lump rendered from carboniferous asteroids around Ceres. But those who know how to do Titanian bull typically go with the lump from Vesta's dryad L point satellites.

Don't blame me, I'm just lifting from "Smokey Spock's Saturn Spit&Pit" web site.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    When they first announced the heaxagonal polar shape I was like...wait...what?!?!

What fascinated me as much tho was learning just how thin most of Saturn's rings are.

Hope they got some interesting data as Cassini plunged to its death.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG
    Options
    The cable channel Science has a show called"Space's Deepest Secrets". The episode last night was titled "Cassini's Grand Finale" (Season 2- Episode 18).

It was a good overview of the history and fruits of the Cassini mission and had coverage of it's end of mission into Saturn. Was interesting to see how they were able to keep the antenna pointed at Earth so they could receive live data before it finally started to burn up.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    There was something like a 1 in a million chance Cassini would crash into the earth on the flyby, and an estimated 5,000 additional deaths from the seventy some pounds of plutonium in the atmosphere over a 10 year period.

Some people made a big deal out of that, but it seems like the risk is worth it to me.
    Options
    There was something like a 1 in a million chance Cassini would crash into the earth on the flyby
    So lottery tickets aren't a good deal?
  • HeavyG
    Options
    There was something like a 1 in a million chance Cassini would crash into the earth on the flyby, and an estimated 5,000 additional deaths from the seventy some pounds of plutonium in the atmosphere over a 10 year period.

Some people made a big deal out of that, but it seems like the risk is worth it to me.
    I bet you run with scissors don't you?

• nolaegghead
    Options

Options
    How many of the "All other causes" was from running with scissors?

I hate incomplete data.

• GATraveller
    Options

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    HeavyG said:

I hate incomplete data.
    I think that's a collection of under 2%, so less than 2%.
    Options
    gdenby said:
    "I wonder what kind of lump they prefer? "

Enceladians buy huge amounts of lump rendered from carboniferous asteroids around Ceres. But those who know how to do Titanian bull typically go with the lump from Vesta's dryad L point satellites.

Don't blame me, I'm just lifting from "Smokey Spock's Saturn Spit&Pit" web site.
    ^^^^^^ That^^^^^^
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    How many die from ingesting @SGH head cheese every year?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Wow!  Thanks for posting.  Jumped down that wormhole and spent a good hour at work reading and looking at those amazing pictures.  Fascinating stuff.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    A fun read. Thanks for posting. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    HeavyG said:

I hate incomplete data.
    I would've thought that "Accidents" would include the running with scissors victims.  That being said, I'd love to read the next 30 or so categories included in "All other causes"; when you exclude "Accidents", what else is left, especially that would include over a quarter of all deaths?    

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month