Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

lower vent screen replacement

Just need some advice...the screen on the lower vent on my lg bge is shot and I'd like to replace it. 
The stand covers some of the bolt holes to remove the assembly, so is it possible to somehow slide
the new screen assembly in the slot without having to pull the egg out of the stand?  Or do most of
them wear out and best not to worry?   thanks in advance.

Comments

• DuranglerDurangler Posts: 1,084
    You shouldn't need to remove the cover bolts, but may need to turn the egg in the nest enough to slide the vent out. 
    My XL is in a nest and I'm able slide things out... carefully
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • WeberWhoWeberWho Posts: 6,341
    I agree with Durangler. You should be able to pull out the screen and vent cover without too much restrictions.

What do you mean whe you say wore out? I trying to picture it being wore out. Is the stainless steel version?  
  • YukonRonYukonRon Posts: 12,256
    Slightly rotate the egg in the stand, you should be able to remove and replace without too much trouble after the moving. Be careful.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • drumdudeguydrumdudeguy Posts: 95
    edited September 2017
    I just replaced my screen with the perforated style which was an improvement.  I have the nest handler so I had to remove 2 bolts securing the handler to the hinge and rotate the egg slightly. It slid right out.
    Charlotte NC - Large Big Green Egg (2009) w/Nest and Handler
    Accessories: PSWOO, Adjustable Rig, Smokeware Cap and Temperature Gauge
  • FockerFocker Posts: 8,282
    I just replaced my screen with the perforated style which was an improvement.  I have the nest handler so I had to remove 2 bolts securing the handler to the hinge and rotate the egg slightly. It slid right out.
    That looks really nice, and yet another aftermarket upgrade.

Where did you find it?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• StussStuss Posts: 75
    Really like the perforated screen……..looks much mire durable than the screen that comes with the egg.   Is that a Smokeware product?
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 5,672
    I just bought one of those!  Nice upgrade.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • kl8tonkl8ton Posts: 2,296
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EL7RWQ2

I may have to purchase!  Looks nice!
    LBGE - 36Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • DoubleEggerDoubleEgger Posts: 11,969
    I like that screen as well. Just a reminder that your vent settings won't be the same as before. No big deal just don't walk away from it the first couple times you use it.  
  • kl8ton said:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EL7RWQ2

I may have to purchase!  Looks nice!
    I have one and like it very much!  No tools required to install.  Simply sides on.  Highly recommend!
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr and 36" Blackstone Griddle owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • WylecyotWylecyot Posts: 183
    edited September 2017
    This is the one I bought.  Slightly cheaper (no shipping for Prime members) and in stock.  

BBQ Stainless Steel Punched MESH Panel Fits for Medium & Large Big Green Egg Draft Door https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XQFV1WJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_PklSzb24PMDX0
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr and 36" Blackstone Griddle owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • FockerFocker Posts: 8,282
    Wylecyot said:
    This is the one I bought.  Slightly cheaper (no shipping for Prime members) and in stock.  

BBQ Stainless Steel Punched MESH Panel Fits for Medium & Large Big Green Egg Draft Door https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XQFV1WJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_PklSzb24PMDX0
    Thanks.
    You didn't have to trim a 1/2" off(amazon review) like the other one posted by @kl8ton?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 16,502
    Of course. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga