Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Creative waterproofing for temperature control units

Options
I go through phases of considering buying a temperature control unit. The urge is strongest when getting up at 4am to adjust the air vent by 2mm. One drawback is the price, the other is that I doubt they like the rain and where I am, in the UK, it can rain at any moment. 

I waterproofed my Maverick thermometer (pics below) but I'm not sure whether it would be as easy to do the same for a gadget that sticks out of an air vent. 

Have any of you built a waterproof box or made another creative solution? I imagine they don't like being rained on? Pics appreciated!

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,346
    Options
    I put mine in a gallon ziploc bag. Works for me
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Surely that stops the fan working though?
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I've used ziploc bags, plastic clamshells from the grocery store.

For use with my Fireboard I splurged and use one of the disposable Ziploc food containers and drilled a few holes and installed some plastic cable glands to feed probes thru.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    ColtsFan said:

right there with you. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Same 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • CanDid
    CanDid Posts: 106
    Options
    TheToast said:
    ColtsFan said:
    Get yourself a Smobot and you won't have to worry about a fan. Put the controller in the contraption you show above and use a kamado chimney cap to protect the servo motor.
    BGE XL
    NWArkansas
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    TheToast said:
    ColtsFan said:
    Where exactly is the fan located on your control units?
    None of my control boxes, that would need protection have a fan.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    CanDid said:
    TheToast said:
    ColtsFan said:
    Get yourself a Smobot and you won't have to worry about a fan. Put the controller in the contraption you show above and use a kamado chimney cap to protect the servo motor.
    The servo is waterproof and doesn't really need protection.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• CanDid
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    CanDid said:
    The servo is waterproof and doesn't really need protection.
    Even better. Always an option though for doing L&S in the rain.
    BGE XL
    NWArkansas
  • TheToast
    Options
    @CanDid Would you recommend the Smobot? Not sure which I'd get. 

@Photo Egg I don't have one yet. But from looking at them, I didn't imagine the bit that goes in the lower air vent would appreciate heavy rain. 

Thanks
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    I have a flameboss and made a contraption very similar to what yours looks like. Hole in the back for the power cord and then a hole in the front for fan and temp probes to come out of. I never have done anything with the fan, just let it sit out. Has rained on it a couple times with no ill effects, but I don't remember a real hard rain, just a couple of light-to-medium ones. 
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    No worries for me, my deck is covered!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I am always surprised at the number of devices that are made for outdoor cookers that cannot survive outdoors!  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    My CyberQ has survived two or three thunderstorm weekends, not that I would recommend it, just forgot about it sitting outside....  Put it in a bowl of rice afterwards.... plastic bag works great, fan seems to be fine with the rain....
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    I just set the flameboss on the table and put a Pyrex dish over the top.  Heavy enough not to be affected by the wind, and vented underneath so it doesn't get too hot.

The fan is separate from the control unit, so it's not an issue.
  • CanDid
    Options
    TheToast said:
    @CanDid Would you recommend the Smobot? Not sure which I'd get.
    I can't honestly recommend the Smobot, because I don't own one yet, but I can tell you, that is what I will be getting as a temp controller, soon. I've been looking into every one of the temp controllers for a while now (youtube, blogs, discussions, reviews, anything I can dig up) and the Smobot just seems like a no brainer. Instead of using a fan to control your pit temp, why not just use the daisy wheel?
    BGE XL
    NWArkansas
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    Here is my FB solution.  If you look close on the egg you can see the meatloaf tinfoil cover I used.  Worked in snow and rain without issue.

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • TheToast
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac Nice. Was hoping for  some photos. Is flameboss battery or mains powered?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Just bump the cooking temp up to 160°C or so. Start a 3-4 Kg pork butt at 9-10AM and it'll be done in time for dinner. No temp controller or rain to worry about, no overnight cooks and an easy temp for the egg to maintain. Try one, you'll see.

Now, look at the £ I just saved you!! =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    TheToast said:
    @Ozzie_Isaac Nice. Was hoping for  some photos. Is flameboss battery or mains powered?
    Mains powered.  It can be battery powered.  If battery powered is necessary I would go SmoBot.  However, if mains is near then either one would work great.

My vote is Flameboss or SmoBot.  Both are great products with tremendous customer service.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • DaveRichardson
    Options

a simple small-sized aluminum loaf pan would work in a pinch for a rain shield over the fan unit......

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Here is my approach for my iGrill2.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    Options

Here's another thread.  I eventually added a small fan to the left rear corner - USB powered.
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1181767/stoker-rain-protection/p1