Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

My Salty Balls - Advice Welcome

Yep. 

The past few times I have done Moink balls I have used fully cooked GFS or Costco meatballs. They have been unprecedentedly salty. 

Used Yardbird for the rub and thought that was it. Just checked and it's about the same as Dizzy Dust. (6-7% daily per 1/4 tsp)

Then I saw the meatballs and 3 are like 33%. 

BBQ sauce was a little high too (like all 12 of them in my fridge) but I'm cutting it with apple jelly. 

So I have to assume it's the salty balls that could be fixed. 

My initial thought as with all salty balls are just to wash them off. 

Have any of you soaked these? Use water? and does it help remove any sodium?  They seem pretty permeable so I thought it might help. 

As always, all other BS is welcome. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

Comments

• ColtsFanColtsFan Posts: 1,769
    I recommend Gold Bond 
    Two large BGE, KJ Jr, 36" Blackstone, FlameBoss 300
    Follow me on Instagram @ hoosier_egger
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 4,005
    I recommend creating your own balls and then you have more control over the salinity of said balls.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• LegumeLegume Posts: 8,191
    I think the precooked ones are heavily salted to prevent them from being sawdust dry.  And meant to be teabagged in sauce.  Make fresh ones or buy uncooked premade ones.
    Austin, TX
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 26,622
    You should really consult the Chef. 

• @Legume @shtgunal3

i probably should have prefaced this with "I have a huge BBQ event with people I don't know in like 4 hours and I have a 5lb bag that I'm trying to make edible and get out of my freezer"

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

That's good information. 

Boil your bacon before making them in fresh water.  Don't add any additional salt, that includes in BBQ sauce, rubs, etc.  Add sugar (offsets salt).  So maybe make your own rub without salt and your own BBQ sauce, without salt. 

They call me the wolf.  Stay calm. 

• LegumeLegume Posts: 8,191
    You're screwed.
    Austin, TX
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 16,751
    @nolaegghead- you and Harvey Keitel... 
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
    I love that guy.

• lousubcap said:
    @nolaegghead- you and Harvey Keitel... 
    I love that guy.

South of Nashville, TN

• gdenbygdenby Posts: 5,935
    If it wouldn't offend folks, serve them mixed into low sodium canned beans, or served along side. In other words, average the sodium per bite. Low or no sodium tomato sauce. Pureed fast cooked lentils or split peas.

Otherwise, I suspect it would take a day of soaking to significantly reduce what will be in every bite.
  • GymGym Posts: 306
    You should really consult the Chef. 

You beat me to it!
  • Update on my Salty Balls. 

I soaked for 3 hours and rinsed off the bacon. 

Seemed to do the trick. 

Went with dizzy dust and Stubbs Sweet Heat courtesy of @tonyled and the Sauce Exchange. 

By the time I got up to the line it was the only thing gone of the sides so apparently the masses concurred. 

South of Nashville, TN

• theyolksonyoutheyolksonyou Posts: 16,186

Jason NW GA- home of carpet and Mexican restaurants
    LBGE, MM, BS (Blackstone and the other kind)
    One sorry Labrador

My chili did not suck.