Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Shoulder Steaks

Options
Has anyone ever taken a pork shoulder and cut it into steaks? If so, can you give me some advice? Thanks!!

Comments

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    My butcher did it for me after I visited St Louis and first even heard of them.  Cut them about 1.5" bone in and they were fabulous!!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    They are incredible. Do it. Just grill to well done or they will be tough. I use a little sauce but you don't need to. They are also amazing sous vide if you cook that way. Chef steps has a great recipe for SV Shouder steaks. If Mickey were on here he would give you a giant hug right now. He loves shoulder steaks

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    Donald Link Recipe, season with Tony C's grill serve between 2 slices of white bread with some Dukes. Incredible easy sammiches.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    I've never cut them myself, but pork (shoulder) steaks are readily found we're I'm at. I wouldn't serve them to company, but they're one of my favs and dirt cheap as well.
    Stillwater, MN
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Has anyone ever taken a pork shoulder and cut it into steaks?

Absolutely brother. 

If so, can you give me some advice? Thanks!!

Question for you. Are you asking for advice on how to cut them into steaks or how to cook the steaks? Or both?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• CharlestonGriller
    Options
    Thanks!! How to cut it. 
  • SGH
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Thanks!! How to cut it. 
    It's easier seeing it done rather than reading someone's written instructions. With that said, here is a half a$$ video showing how to steak with a knife and a saw. You can alter the thickness to your liking (go thicker or thinner). Hope it helps my friend.  

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fIA6FDdCsG0

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    What internal temp should you shoot for with pork steaks? 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • SGH
    edited July 2017
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    What internal temp should you shoot for with pork steaks? 
    The actuall temp varies with thickness. Simply cook them until tender. This usually involves cooking them "very well done". More often than not, up into the very high 190's. If extremely thick, it can be into the low 200's. 
    Again, it varies somewhat from thin to thick. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited July 2017
    Options
    For those who have never had Pork steaks, this is an incredible marinade for them. 

A word of caution, on marinate them about 30 minutes. You want to pick up a hint of the Dales, not overpower them. I use this as a marinade on Red Hots as well. Its outstanding on Pork steak when used sparingly. However as I said above, it can quickly become overpowering if you are not careful.  

Status- Standing by.

• EggNashville
    EggNashville Posts: 243
    Options
    I've bought pork shoulder steaks already cut from my local Publix...and they are amazing.  +1 on dales...we also love yoshidas. You will enjoy them I am sure... :)
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    St Louis Pork Steaks are a favorite, many ways to do them.  Sear, braise.  Braise, sear.  Cook's Country seared, braised, seared.  They take some time to cook.

Schnuck's, a grocery store out of St Louis, started running shoulders on the band saw, rest is history.
    They are really great, so tender when braised in Maull's and Bud.

Al Pastor is a favorite too.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."