Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Brisket dry and tough

djohnson223
djohnson223 Posts: 4
I am having issues with my brisket, it is dry and tough. I am using USDA Choice Angus beef brisket Here is how I am cooking it

I take the brisket out and apply my rub (1/2 salt 1/2 pepper)

I let it sit out for about an hour.

While it is sitting I set my BGE at 275 indeirect 

I cook until it passes its stall time 165-175 and then wrap in butchers paper until it reaches 205.

I pull off grill and let it rest for 4 hours in a Cambro.

The point is juice but the flat is dry and tough.

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
    How big and how much bigger is the point...Are you wrapping it in foil after the cook? Butcher paoercalone alone during the rest can loose a lot
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Instead of monitoring final temp, check for tenderness.  When the thickest part of the flat, probes like buttah, pull it.  This can happen as early as 185-190F (doesn't usually, but can).

use temp to get you to the ball park, but let the probe be your guide. 

Now, as for the flat being tough.  That sounds undercooked, not over cooked.  An overlooked brisket will be dry and crumbly.  Since 205F is pretty high, verify that your probe is  accurate and is inserted in the thickest part of the flat. 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Robo2015
    Robo2015 Posts: 267
    I've learned the hard way to let the brisket settle for about 20 minutes before FTCing it.  That way it stays warm but doesn't keep cooking in your cooler.
    A Lonely Single Large Egg

North Shore of Massachusetts
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Great comments above and another vote for the cooling rack rest prior to FTC to stop the carry-over cooking.  Although not resting usually results in the overcooked and crumbly outcome.  Never forget, "The cow drives the cook."
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    Where in the brisket are you checking the temp?  You want to check it in the thickest part of the flat. As stated above, "tough" is usually undercooked. Overcooked brisket will fall apart. 

It can hit 205 in the point but still only be 185 in the flat. 

As also mentioned above, the brisket is done when the flat probes tender. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX