Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Last minute pointers

Options
Hello, I am going to attempt a brisket and couple butts in my large tonight. My target time to eat tomorrow is 4-5 pm. Weight of the butts is 15#. Brisket is 16#. I am thinking start my fire around 8 then put meat on at 10. Brisket below and pork up top. I have an RB adjustable rig. Target pit temp is 225 overnight then adjust in the morning. Shooting for 2-3 hours FTC on both. Anyone with more experience cooking both at the same time have any corrections or ideas? Thanks

Comments

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    You won't make it at that temp in my opinion. You will need at least 1.5 hours per pound at that temp. I would load the egg as absolutely full as you can and cook them around 275 (although it's going to be tough to get a temp with all that meat)
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
    you will be cutting it close however If it is Prime and IF you wrap @ the stall you will speed up the cook- I target 4-6 hours before the protein is needed---4-5 PM I am OK if it is done @ noon
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Furall
    Furall Posts: 124
    Options
     Ok, I will bump it up to 275. I loaded it to the top of fire ring. I am using my cyber q but can't get it to connect in adhoc at all. Not sure what's up with it. Wondering if I shouldn't just ditch the controller and get it dialed in before I go to sleep. Thanks for the help man. 
  • Furall
    Furall Posts: 124
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I can put it on at anytime before 10. May try for 7 or 8 and just ftc. Am I ok with pork above brisket or does it matter?
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I'm in the brisket on top camp. The brisket will cook at lot faster high in the dome so account for that. 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @slovelad isn't wrong, but I look at it differently.  I like to sleep during the night so I just let it settle in at a low temp when I put the meat on and then deal with things in the morning.  Lower is better.  You can always crank it up to 275 - 290 in the morning depending on the meat temp.  

Also recognize that with that much meat on the grill, when you first put the meat on your dome temp will probably read much lower as it will be sitting very near whatever cold meat you put on the top rack.  Don't chase the dome temp - especially early in the cook.  Just trust whatever temp it was at before you added meat will be the temp where it will settle after the meat warms up.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,383
    Options
    Great advice above-get it stable (around 250*F or so seems to the LBGE sweet-spot) for a couple of hours and then load it up.  As with @Doubleegger brisket on top to preserve the bark and sometimes it needs more care and feeding than the piggy.

BTW- your post-trim brisket weight can be anywhere from 1.5-3 lbs less than the purchase weight for reference.  
    One other thing given around an 8 lb butt for cook-time purposes (x2) expect a good hour or more to get back to the the pre-protein load stable temp as mentioned above.
    Make sure you have a good sized air-gapped drip pan for all the renderings.  
    Above all, enjoy the cook and follow-on eats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.