Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide - information sources

Options
jtcBoynton
jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
The family got me an Anova for Father's Day. I am looking for trusted sources for sous vide information and recipes.  What are your favorite web sites and books for sous vide information?  
Southeast Florida - LBGE
In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Chef Steps - website

Sous Vide At Home - great book
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Second for ChefSteps. Great, well tested recipes. 

Check out douglas baldwins web site and read through the safety stuff. 

Becareful about the Anova site. A lot of recipes are from home cooks and a few have some suspect information. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • BGnogin
    BGnogin Posts: 76
    Options
    Serious Eats has a great Sous Vide 101 section
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

This guy knows his stuff.  The website isn't super comprehensive, but ive gained some insights from it.

http://sousvideresources.com/

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    If your not already on Twitter, I recommend joining if only for the the awesome Anova tweets AND, if you ever have any questions about a certain cook, they gladly answer any and all questions - Pronto!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Chef steps and Serious Eats are great. Chef Steps has started some paywall stuff, but most of it can be found on YouTube. Doug Baldwin's site is great, though a bit dry.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    The resources mentioned above are all good ones. 

I liked this guide from the chef steps  site. There is a printable version if you scroll down. I printed it out so I could refer to it easily when I was getting started with sous vide.

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/sous-vide-time-and-temperature-guide

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    SV has been around for decades, but mostly cost way too much for the home chef. More than many small restaurants could afford. As a hats off, here's a link to an article by a guy that predicted SV would be the next kitchen essential like the micro wave.

http://modernistcuisine.com/2013/01/why-cook-sous-vide/

The 1st book to be published in English was the 2008 "Under Pressure: Cooking Sous Vide" by Thos. Keller. His 92 hour short ribs recipe was the 1st I tried, and it was a K.O.

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited June 2017
    Options
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Chef steps and Serious Eats are great. Chef Steps has started some paywall stuff, but most of it can be found on YouTube. Doug Baldwin's site is great, though a bit dry.
    Being a PhD holder tends to predispose one to a drier personality I suppose.
    He has a lot of great info as you mentioned.
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    YouTube will be all you ever need
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I'm a sucker for a good cookbook, but I won't get a SV cookbook.  The online resources are so good, so quick, and so many options there isn't a chance I'd pull out a book.  Have fun with your new toy.

Phoenix 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Seems all the major makers of SV units have info and recipes on their sites and/or apps.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Enjoy the family gift, sous vide is a great tool for the home cook. ChefSteps is excellent, and entertaining - they now have a Premium section which does cost, but still, many of their basic recipes and techniques are free. MCAH and Under Pressure is where I started, great books that provide concept and ideas as well as some recipes. Have fun!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    caliking said:
    The resources mentioned above are all good ones. 

I liked this guide from the chef steps  site. There is a printable version if you scroll down. I printed it out so I could refer to it easily when I was getting started with sous vide.

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/sous-vide-time-and-temperature-guide
    Reminder to set the SV for 5-10 degrees lower on meats if you are planning to sear afterwards. 
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Get a large pyrex plastic container for its heat retention characteristics....metal bleeds off too much heat....
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Okay the XL BGE, Pizza Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Wok, Flame Boss 300 aren't enough so now I'm shopping for a Sous Vide...how do you like your Anova?  Did you get the wifi compatible model? 
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    I went with the bluetooth version.  Couldn't see a need for the WiFi features for my situation.  Works fine.  Bluetooth connection is typical bluetooth - works well in the kitchen but loses connection elsewhere.  I really am not concerned about remote control so its fine for me.  Have beef short ribs cooking now.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE

• jtcBoynton
    Options
    Get a large pyrex plastic container for its heat retention characteristics....metal bleeds off too much heat....
    Agree.  I used a couple of large pots for the first couple of cooks.  Picked up a 12 quart Cambro plastic container with lid.  Spent a little time cutting a hole for the Anova.  Now looking for something to create some space between the bags.

Southeast Florida - LBGE

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Agree.  I used a couple of large pots for the first couple of cooks.  Picked up a 12 quart Cambro plastic container with lid.  Spent a little time cutting a hole for the Anova.  Now looking for something to create some space between the bags.
    This Ikea pot lid organizer works great. All ss, and inexpensive. Get another one if you need a rib rack. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.