Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking in a coffin in Mexico

Options
Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,674
LawnRanger and I ate well at a friend on Beli's ranch. He cooked ribs in a "coffin". That's what they called it. Works for pigs as well. 
We also had steaks. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a winner to me Mick. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    What's the round iron gizmo in the table behind the steaks?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    That's a portable vault for Mick to keep his money in =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mickey
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I thought it was a type of wok but ask and he adds oil in it to deep fry. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    edited June 2017
    Options
    We were introduced to the best tequila (smoothest) I have ever had. They keep in the freezer all the time. Mike and I picked some up at the duty free shop in the airport this morning. 

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Very nice. Not too dissimilar than cooking on the La Cahachina (sp?).  Cool wooden box the use in South Florida for doing whole hogs!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Beli never disappoints.

How's Valeria doing? She must be quite the young lady by now.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Looks like a good day to me. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Mickey
    Options
    Beli never disappoints.

Very much so. Almost 15 and on the go. Lovely family. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Beli never disappoints.

I was wondering that as well. Isn't she and Mike's daughter, Marina, about the same age? So that places them in their early 20's I believe.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mickey
    edited June 2017
    Options
    RRP said:
    Beli never disappoints.

I was wondering that as well. Isn't she and Mike's daughter, Marina, about the same age? So that places them in their early 20's I believe.
    No, just shy of 15,  age of my youngest granddaughter. They brought her to Texas several years ago to go to summer camp with my granddaughter. 
    They are selling the most beautiful house in Mexico as Valeria has been accepted into a special school in Monterey. With the schedule they want to live much closer to her new school. They have found a mountain side to build on and about 3 times higher than this house. The house he has now he actually cut the top of the mountain off to place the pad for the house, same with the pool and BBQ levels. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Mickey said:
    RRP said:
    Beli never disappoints.

No, just shy of 15,  age of my youngest granddaughter. They brought her to Texas several years ago to go to summer camp with my granddaughter. 
    They are selling the most beautiful house in Mexico as Valeria has been accepted into a special school in Monterey. With the schedule they want to live much closer to her new school. They have found a mountain side to build on and about 3 times higher than this house. The house he has now he actually cut the top of the mountain off to place the pad for the house, same with the pool and BBQ levels. 
    That must be some special school to pack up, sell and re-locate.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Mickey, I notice the weather app is showing Linares. I always thought Beli lived in Monterrey. Just curious.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mickey
    Options
    Linares is south of Beli's (his friends house whose ranch we went to on Saturday). Beli lives in Santiago about an hour South of the airport in Monterrey. 

@Carolina Q
    it is a very special village like a postcard. 

• Mickey
    Options
    RRP said:
    Mickey said:
    RRP said:
    Beli never disappoints.

That must be some special school to pack up, sell and re-locate.
    I would say very special parents. 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Mickey said:
    It is a very special village like a postcard. 
    Thanks. I would say so!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    At those temps, you don't really need to build a fire - you just laid the food on the grid in the sun, right?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Mickey
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    At those temps, you don't really need to build a fire - you just laid the food on the grid in the sun, right?
    It was hot! Mike (LawnRanger) worked in his Spanish. The sheep were run off from the pool.