Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Six Butts On LGBE

Options
Put six 7lb butts on the egg at 7:15A. Serving at 6P. Going to cook at 300 for a while and see where we are. Might push it to 350. Planning on no foil and spritzing with apple juice every hour. Feedback welcome! We're doing pulled pork sliders for 75 at a luau themed party.

Rubbed with mustard, kosher salt, coarse pepper, granulated garlic, and paprika.

The only thing I am worried about is that the butts are touching a little top to bottom. I'm hoping they shrink enough to separate.

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Looks awesome, once you pull for sliders, nobody will notice the bald spots.  No worries.

You might want to rotate occasionally, the bottom butts will take the brunt of the 300-350 degree heat.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    Ambitious cook and with your rub mix you don't have to worry about burning the bark.  Hope your drip pan can handle the renderings.  Good luck and enjoy the follow-on eats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tymaier
    tymaier Posts: 93
    Options
    Two hours in and IT is 115 mostly.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Looking good.  Now that is a stuffed Egg!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Johno94m
    Johno94m Posts: 9
    Options
    Wow this looks fantastic! That is what I would call a heroes load, enjoy
    XL BGE
    Niagara, Ontario, Canada
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    This is an impressive cook. I'm excited to see the end product. 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    You should park the truck closer to the egg. Joking. Looks great. Never done that many at time. Hope you have a drip Pan in there  ;)
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • tymaier
    Options
    Ran out of a full load of lump and seven wood chunks at 1:30P. Didn't know it could deplete that quickly but I guess it's working hard for all that meat on a large. Filled back up and rolling. Took me a second to figure out why the heat was dropping. I've got a couple coming off soon.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @tymaier - for clarification please expand your definition of a "full load of lump".  In every case prior that has happened when the LBGE is only filled to the top of the fire-box. Loading to just south of the top of the ring (enough room to land your heat deflector) will about double your fuel load-thus the protracted cook times you see here.  
    Now, if you went to the top of the ring and ran out then, "What lump did you load?"
    Great recovery BTW- Enjoy the remainder of the cook and eats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,350
    Options
    That's odd. How full was it loaded? I can burn 18 hrs at the fire ring level @250ish
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• tymaier
    Options
    I only filled to the top of the firebox. To be completely honest I didn't know if it was good practice to load above! I am using royal oak. About to pull some. Still have a couple at 160 so I'm going to wrap them since we only have about three hours until dinner time.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Careful when loading new charcoal- you have to burn off the VOC's again before adding meat back on. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • tymaier
    Options
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Ouch. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Uffda
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Well....that is terrible. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Damn! Did someone pull the truck forward. @Chubbs tried to warn you!!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• tymaier
    Options
    Got a make shift indirect setup on the gasser over there. Second gasser is broke. Was able to do three indirect. Just put the other three in an oven. Everything is running at 400 wrapped in foil twice.

I lift the lid up, the handle assembly popped off the lid once it was raised. Not sure if I did anything wrong but it felt typical raising it. That shook the egg and my grease pan spilled and then I had huge flare ups. Took all the meat off asap and foiled. Grill must have been running at 800+ degrees with 3ft flames. It was a nightmare. I'm assuming warranty doesn't cover this? Anyone know?
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Man I am really sorry that happened- sounds like a royal pain in the arse. If the bands were just too loose then unfortunately I don't think it is covered by warranty. If something in the band assembly broke then it should be covered. I would get in touch with Bruce at Big Green Egg and discuss with him. If nothing else he might be able to work with you on replacing parts at a reasonable cost. 

I am sure the butts will still be great. Enjoy the food and the party and the egg will be whole again soon. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Who assembled your egg? How long have you had it? Might have some recourse with the dealer if they assembled.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• tymaier
    Options
    Who assembled your egg? How long have you had it? Might have some recourse with the dealer if they assembled.
    Long story short, won it in a coin toss. The guy assembled it himself. It was only 3-4 weeks old. I might be stuck purchasing parts :(
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Ouch- hate that happened to you. You really have to tighten the bolts on the lid- to the point it often bends the bolts. 

Greensboro, NC
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    So did the lid fall off while it was shooting the 3ft flames? 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Totally sux.  Hate to,see that.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • tymaier
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    So did the lid fall off while it was shooting the 3ft flames? 
    Flames started after the lid fell off.
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Trainwreck. Sorry for your loss. 
  • tymaier
    Options
    Just started serving and honestly it tastes great. Good feedback from everyone. I'm drenched in sweat and mentally drained now lol. Just thankful the food worked out.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Take up a dome collection.  I think they run about $200
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    On the bright side the rest of it looks intact. I think you just inspired everyone to go check they're hinge bolts 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    Ugh. My heart just broke for you. 
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes