Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Electric starters gone up in price?

Options
Having to buy another electric starter, this will be my 3rd one. It seems like im averaging 2 years on these things. But the one thing I noticed when I looked them up online is it seems the price has gone up a lot. I could have sworn these things were about $40 last time I bought one and now they are $80. 

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    @ $80 brings the Looflighter into play

Greensboro, NC
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    @newby84, we went through a couple of those when we got our egg almost 19 years ago. The dealer told us to set a timer and pull the starter around 5 minutes after plugging it in. Haven't had to replace one since. That being said, we have switched to the Rutland fire starters. Seems easier and quicker. Still have the electric one and will keep it on hand just in case I forget to reorder the Rutlands in time.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • bikesAndBBQ
    bikesAndBBQ Posts: 284
    Options
    I just bought one this year from Home Depot and it was $15. Not BGE brand but still lights the charcoal just fine. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • newby84
    newby84 Posts: 133
    Options
    Dredger said:
    @newby84, we went through a couple of those when we got our egg almost 19 years ago. The dealer told us to set a timer and pull the starter around 5 minutes after plugging it in. Haven't had to replace one since. That being said, we have switched to the Rutland fire starters. Seems easier and quicker. Still have the electric one and will keep it on hand just in case I forget to reorder the Rutlands in time.
    Maybe that's where I'm messing up, my dealer told me to set a timer for 7 min. I wonder if that extra 2 min is messing it up. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Time for a weed burner!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290
    Options
    Check your dealer rather than online. Thought to find accurate prices online for bge branded stuff. Though as mentioned above, a generic one will be cheaper regardless. 
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    The Looflighter, if your Egg is reasonably close to an outlet, is worth the investment in my opinion.  I started out with an electric starter and haven't looked back.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    @ $80 brings the Looflighter into play

Agree with everyone on the loof. Got one for Xmas and haven't been happier.
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I don't want anything you have to plug in. Or remember to UNplug before it burns out. Give me my torch any day. $40 plus a propane cylinder that lasts forever and costs under $4. My torch is almost 8 years old and going strong. Plus, I can do plumbing. =) 

Second choice, oil and paper towel.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    The EGGniter may be a better choice since it has a fan/cool function.  Looftlighter is just ON or OFF.  EGGniter has ON (HEAT), OFF, FAN.......takes about a minute to cool it off.  Other than playing with one in the shop, I've never used it to start an egg, nor have I ever used a Looftlighter.  I just know from using heat guns, it was always a good idea to cool them off to help preserve the element, make it safe to set down, and let you put it away sooner.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    Another vote for the Looftlighter. I got one after my electric starter died. I hang it up on  a nail in my shed 10 feet from the Egg by the attached bottle opener. There is also a wall plug right there. I like using it as a bellows to really get the fire started fast.
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    edited May 2017
    Options

12 bucks at Amazon
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    Give me my torch any day. $40 plus a propane cylinder that lasts forever and costs under $4. My torch is almost 8 years old and going strong. 
    Plus, you can really extend its life if you do most of your cooking in the oven.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • vze3jnv2
    vze3jnv2 Posts: 12
    Options
    Thumbs up on the tourch thats what I'ved used for years
    LG BGE  Bressler (Harrisburg) Pennsylvania
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    @The_Stache is on the right track, cheap and effective.   When I want to cook low and slow fill the bottom section with lump and stuff paper into the part where charcoal is to go.   
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Options
    Harbor Freight heat gun, $8.99 with coupon.  Doesn't just apply heat, has a blower too.  Maybe 3 minutes to torch the 'coal in 3 spots.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    been using the Weber chimney since I started.  2 pieces of newspaper, 8 minutes later, dump and finish preparing - then ready to cook.   While the egg is getting up to tem, I finish my mise en place  (MEEZ ahn plahs). 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,346
    Options
    I enjoy this process. And it hasn't quit working yet. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Heat gun is $22 at Home Depot works great.