Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

OT: Once A Year

One moment of one day once a year this bracelet comes off. To take a minute to re-emphasize that 1) a man died selflessly for his country and 2) that it could have just as easily been me. 

I have been laid up all day battling an old injury and the pain is driving me crazy. But the alternative to life sounds overwhelmingly horrible today. 

I don't give a $hit about your oninion on Afghanistan unless you drop me a 10 digit grid to your favorite whack shack. Just take take a minute and be thankful that a great man traded all of his nights like tonight sitting by his grill, watching his kids play in the yard, listening to his wife tell them bed time stories for the idea of that dream.

Sometimes we just need a reminder of how good we've got it. 

That is all. Carry on. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

Comments

• paqmanpaqman Posts: 2,777

Sometimes we just need a reminder of how good we've got it. 

Agreed

If it is worth doing, it is worth overdoing.

XL, Medium, Minimax, Mini, Blackstone, WSM
  • You are a good man.  I'm sure he is having a drink with you as well as a moment of silence. Thank you for your service to this country. 
    Snellville, GA

• thetrimthetrim Posts: 6,811
    Rakkasan!  RIP Marine!   God Bless you for your sacrifice.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SardonicusSardonicus Posts: 1,709

Thank you.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."     
     - George Burns

• Thank you, sir.

Dec. 2016: Large BGE
    Covington, GA via Rocky Top, TN
  • JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 12,883
    Yes indeed.  An important reminder.  Thank you.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." - NdGT

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

• TN_Sister_StateTN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    edited May 2017
    Thanks for sharing, my cousin was a marine taking fallujah. Serious respect for all that have served and more for the ones that gave it all.
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• SpaightlabsSpaightlabs Posts: 2,010
    Missed this one yesterday but will pour some out for The Sarge today.

Thank you Sarge!
  • Thank You Sir

• SaintJohnsEggerSaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,587
    Thanks you sir for remembering.

All of us who served have a special place in out hearts for remembering those who gave their all.

I get the drink but I'm not sure why the bracelet comes off. But the important part is someone remembers and honors the sacrifice. God Bless you.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    Large Egg 10/16 MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• FockerFocker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2017
    Good post, and message.
    Unfortunately, I get reminded pretty much every day, fighting wars for life with folks, to appreciate every, single, day.  Not close to war, but similar in ways.

The ultimate sacrifice.  Thank you.  RIP Sarge.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."