Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sea Bass with Onion/Shroom/Tater mix and Radish/Mango Salad

bgebrent
bgebrent Posts: 19,636
Learning the MM with simple cooks.  Got her hot and grilled the sea bass and charred the potatoes that then joined the sautéed onions and mushrooms.  My much better half made the salad. She plans to change up the dressing next time.  Original recipe is not as good as it sounded. The sea bass, buttery and flaky. Cheers.

A great evening for sure.

Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    I suck at life. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,173
    Great looking cook.  You definitely have access to a well-stocked fish market.
    Lake level improving or just a slightly different angle?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    lousubcap said:
    Great looking cook.  You definitely have access to a well-stocked fish market.
    Lake level improving or just a slightly different angle?
    Thanks Cap.  We've had some nice rain so the pool has come up 2'. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Foghorn said:
    I suck at life. 

@theyolksonyou, don't feel too bad.  Most of us here are top 1%ers.  Brent is just a top 0.01%er so we look bad by comparison.  It's all about perspective.

With that being said, I won't deny that if we eliminate Brent the rest of us will feel better about ourselves...
    You're saying a lot about a Kentucky alum, Dukester. I have to agree with you and Jason though. Us(some sadly former) ACCers need to stick together!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Beautiful cook. SEC. UK. We are expected to lead the way. 
    @theyolksonyou
    I feel like such a loser when I look at his cooks too.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Nice cook brother.... MM looks like it is performing well
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • bgebrent
    Foghorn said:
    I suck at life. 

@theyolksonyou, don't feel too bad.  Most of us here are top 1%ers.  Brent is just a top 0.01%er so we look bad by comparison.  It's all about perspective.

With that being said, I won't deny that if we eliminate Brent the rest of us will feel better about ourselves...
    Foghorn said:
    I suck at life. 

You're saying a lot about a Kentucky alum, Dukester. I have to agree with you and Jason though. Us(some sadly former) ACCers need to stick together!
    You guys are better cooks than me by a country mile.  I do appreciate the comradery.  Even from the evil empire ACC.  This dinner didn't suck.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    very nice cook.  and what a view!

i love radishes, but a little raw radish goes a long way.  if you've never grilled them, give it a whirl - OO, salt and pepper, and grilled radishes are the best snack with a cold beer.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    YukonRon said:
    @theyolksonyou
    "His cooks" my foot.  Must I poll your memory fellas....

DSC_5335
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Here is a shot of his station he shared with @piney For the record, I opened the dome at least twice for him personally. 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207

Wrong Sea Bass? 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    That Egg looks just to clean! Dinner looks spot on Nichole! :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• YukonRon said:
    @theyolksonyou

DSC_5335
    Ha! My sister came over the other day with the same damn shirt on. I too have to bow to the "certified" chef. 

Good cook. Seriously where do you get all your seafood?

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Here is a shot of his station he shared with @piney For the record, I opened the dome at least twice for him personally. 

I also notice another guy at that station Jason, but I know him well and he was asking a bunch of noob questions like what time and temp for this and that.  Just what my sources told me.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Nice cook Brent, I love how you let Nicole take the credit.  ;)

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Life is good my friend. Keep enjoying every minute. I'm envious of the nice fish; it looks delicious. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bgebrent
    YukonRon said:
    @theyolksonyou

DSC_5335
    Ha! My sister came over the other day with the same damn shirt on. I too have to bow to the "certified" chef. 

Good cook. Seriously where do you get all your seafood?
    Usually at Buford Farmers Market.  The sea bass I picked up at whole foods.
  • If all goes well Saturday, I'll be learning to cook on my MM next week.

Any tips?
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• bgebrent
    If all goes well Saturday, I'll be learning to cook on my MM next week.

Any tips?
    Still a novice but, for it to come up to 350-450 you need to light several (3) spots and let the fire develop for around 10 minutes before setting vents.  Have fun brother.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Sea bass is at the top of my inshore fish to eat which we catch up here in the Northeast only behind tautog.  Rarely, okay... never do we get them big enough to steak as you have them there.

Now you have me itching for some, because that looked fantastic!
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • bgebrent said:
    If all goes well Saturday, I'll be learning to cook on my MM next week.

Any tips?
    Still a novice but, for it to come up to 350-450 you need to light several (3) spots and let the fire develop for around 10 minutes before setting vents.  Have fun brother.
    Thanks Bro.

With the smaller firebox, I was wondering if I should light just one spot or do two or three.

Are vent openings comparable with the settings for larger eggs?
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Great looking meal right there!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Sea2Ski said:
    Sea bass is at the top of my inshore fish to eat which we catch up here in the Northeast only behind tautog.  Rarely, okay... never do we get them big enough to steak as you have them there.

Now you have me itching for some, because that looked fantastic!
    @Sea2Ski, are you talking about striped bass - or something different?  We catch those on Cape Cod every summer but they have to be 28" to keep so they are all big enough to make steaks.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    @foghorn  No, we call those Stripers, and further down from us they call them rockfish.
    I thought that we used the same names as up on cape cod. Guess not.  Or maybe sometimes....

"Our" sea bass are sometimes referred to as black bass, and when they get large we call them "hump heads". Here is a picture off the web (not me) of what I was referring to.

Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • bgebrent
    Yep, black bass.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    If its Chilean Sea Bass then it was a Patagonian Toothfish  - real ugly sucker!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Sea2Ski said:
    @foghorn  No, we call those Stripers, and further down from us they call them rockfish.
    I thought that we used the same names as up on cape cod. Guess not.  Or maybe sometimes....

"Our" sea bass are sometimes referred to as black bass, and when they get large we call them "hump heads". Here is a picture off the web (not me) of what I was referring to.

That's what I was guessing when I looked up the Massachusetts fishing size requirements. On the cape, people usually use "striped bass", "striper" and "sea bass" interchangeably.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    That looks excellent, Brent. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS