Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Strange Plant Growing...Anyone Recognize It?

Judy Mayberry
Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
edited April 2017 in EggHead Forum
After the voluminous rains that ended the California drought, I saw a flowering plant growing in what had been an empty dirt-filled pot. It had yellow flowers and opposing round, scalloped leaves, and I didn't think of taking pictures till today. I saw these prickly seed pods(?) and took a couple of pictures. Google Images had no match.

Judy in San Diego

Comments

• Dont know what it is but I bet @nolaegghead would smoke it. 

Little Rock, AR

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    Just looks like your garden variety pricker.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    I use a plant identifying app called Garden answers, and one called Treelogy. Google playstore on my android.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    First guess is cocklebur but that's a guess.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    gmac said:
    First guess is cocklebur but that's a guess.
    I thought that at first as well due to the seed pods, but the leaf shape isn't right. OTOH it is probably of that family.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • flexfusion
    flexfusion Posts: 240
    the seed pod resembles a cocklebur but it's not.  In the South we call a cocklebur a "she bur." They are very bad in row crops like cotton, corn, peanuts, and soybeans.  
    Auburn, Alabama
  • the seed pod resembles a cocklebur but it's not.  In the South we call a cocklebur a "she bur." They are very bad in row crops like cotton, corn, peanuts, and soybeans.  
    Used to take our little long haired mutt crawfishing in the ditches between beanfields. It would take a severe hair cut and several weeks to get those suckers off him. But we always caught several ice chests full and he loved to go so it was worth it. 

Havent remembered that in 20 years..........

Little Rock, AR

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Our cockleburs grow taller than the other weeds and look more like a big milkweed. Even the stems have spines all over them. You definitely don't want those growing around your property. The leaves in your picture look different but I agree that it's probably in the same family. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    edited April 2017
    Yeah, I knew it wasn't cocklebur from the leaves. So since I happened to still have most of my old weed science books kicking around from University I took a look this morning when I was a bit more sober. 

That is burr medic. We have black medic up here and when I looked at the leaves more than the burrs I was pretty sure it was gonna be in the clover family somewhere. So that's where I looked. And it is. 

Do an image search for burr medic and you'll find it. Now kill it. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Milk thistle? Just a guess as it resembles the drawing on the supplement at the health food store and it looks like something that would be called milk thistle....
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    It's bur clover.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Good thing it's in a flower pot. Easy to get rid of it and all the dirt and it's less likely to have spread.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    @gmac got it right. The images for burr medic are exactly what this is. I pulled it up in one yank. You guys are THE BEST.
    Judy in San Diego
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    pricker.
    You can't say prick on the forum ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.