Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide RR Ranch Tri Tip (and some Ribeyes)

Options
bgebrent
bgebrent Posts: 19,636
SV this almost 3 pounder at 125 for 3 hours.  Seared off on the egg where some ribeyes were cooked caveman style ( these kids can friggin eat!). This was a feast with no leftovers.  Hope it helps them remember their last spring break.  Thanks for looking.

After resting 15 minutes:

There was was no time for a plated shot after carving all the beef.  It was go time.
Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    That looks really good. SV definitely has a place in one's cooking arsenal. I never thought I'd say that, but it rocks for some applications. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Dang Doc- nailed it again.  Definitely on a roll.  I vaguely recall the feeding frenzy when the college gang rolled in.  Definitely keeps the fires hot.  
    BTW- at their ages their is no such thing as "last spring break..."  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Gman2
    Gman2 Posts: 421
    Options
    Great looking steaks, I'm starving now!
    LBGE, Mechanicsville, Va., LBGE, Duck, NC, XLBGE Wake, Va.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Dang Doc- nailed it again.  Definitely on a roll.  I vaguely recall the feeding frenzy when the college gang rolled in.  Definitely keeps the fires hot.  
    BTW- at their ages their is no such thing as "last spring break..."  YMMV-
    Love having them choose to be here.  Really good kids that give us a lot of smiles.  Thanks Cap.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have been thinking about doing this. I saw SRF had a deal going. I must say that looks very fine. Did you put a rub on it as you cooked it on the SV? I could have eaten that by myself.
    Beautiful looking meal Brent. Glad the children were all home.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    This is greatness all the way around. Win win. 
    Snellville, GA

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    Options
    Perfect cook, nice one.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Lucky kids for sure. Food looks killer too. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • bgebrent
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I have been thinking about doing this. I saw SRF had a deal going. I must say that looks very fine. Did you put a rub on it as you cooked it on the SV? I could have eaten that by myself.
    Beautiful looking meal Brent. Glad the children were all home.

Ron, thanks.  I salted, peppered the roast and let it hang out in the fridge most of the day.  In the bag was a sprig of fresh rosemary, several sprigs of fresh thyme and a couple cloves of crushed garlic.  Added subtle but nice flavors.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    @SaintJohnsEgger, this is a true MR steak (Tri tip).
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Wasn't sure what that playmate pic was. Thought you might be some kinda perv. That last shot in the cutting board tho. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Strong cook Brent!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Damn the tri tips are winning tonight. Outstanding brother!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Wasn't sure what that playmate pic was. Thought you might be some kinda perv. That last shot in the cutting board tho. 
    Good to know you know me ;)
  • bgebrent
    Options

Jeremiah said:
    Damn the tri tips are winning tonight. Outstanding brother!
    Thanks Jeremiah!
  • lousubcap
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @theyolksonyou -  for those of us who run in the lower aka substrate cooler environment- that is one of the finest there is out there.  Igloo makes all kinds of coolers, any of which have been used for extended FTC assignment with glowing results.  But no desire to use this thread as a launch for another cooler war.  ;)  
    Good on @bgebrent for representing the other side of the cooler spectrum.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @theyolksonyou -  for those of us who run in the lower aka substrate cooler environment- that is one of the finest there is out there.  Igloo makes all kinds of coolers, any of which have been used for extended FTC assignment with glowing results.  But no desire to use this thread as a launch for another cooler war.  ;)  
    Good on @bgebrent for representing the other side of the cooler spectrum.
    Your subtlety was most eloquent.  Next time I'll use my RTIC, or my YETI.  Hmm?
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @bgebrent - I'm guessing the hi-enders are not worthy.  Regardless, as above, one eggcellent result.  Just keep the low ender usefulness a secret otherwise there will some serious butt-hurt. =)
  • bgebrent
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @bgebrent - I'm guessing the hi-enders are not worthy.  Regardless, as above, one eggcellent result.  Just keep the low ender usefulness a secret otherwise there will some serious butt-hurt. =)
    Butt hurt avoidance tactic.  Very subtle Cap!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    Must be something in the air.  We had tri-tip tonight (SV at 117 for 2 hrs, then sear at 650, on the deck) ....  I won't show my fam your pics though.  Makes mine look like Golden Corral.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • lousubcap
    Options
    How did we get to this place in history without Yeti's and the challenge of RTIC's?  Maybe ice was better at cooling in prior years.  There was an Ice Age a few years ago... 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Nice! I Love that ours hang with us for spring break and other vacations too. I like to think it's my rugged good looks and rapier wit but it's probably my penchant for fancy foods and boutique liquors. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Must be something in the air.  We had tri-tip tonight (SV at 117 for 2 hrs, then sear at 650, on the deck) ....  I won't show my fam your pics though.  Makes mine look like Golden Corral.
    I know it was top shelf brother!
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Nice! I Love that ours hang with us for spring break and other vacations too. I like to think it's my rugged good looks and rapier wit but it's probably my penchant for fancy foods and boutique liquors. 
    Same page my friend.  Except no rugged good looks.  Food fest and liquor cabinet.  Wit usually crushes them to bed. ;)
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Just seeing this Brent....mighty fine looking tip. Clap, clap, clap.....
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Great board of meat right there.  Bravo!
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL