Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Leg of Lamb Steak Failure

Options
One of my local butchers carries a leg of lamb steak. It looks beautiful and sounds beautiful, so I decided to give it a shot. 

I asked him how he'd cook it since I've always cooked leg of lamb low and slow. He assured me that I should cook it like a beef steak. I didn't believe him, so I went home to do a little research. Sure enough, everything I read said to cook it for a few minutes on each side and cook to medium rare.

I made a rosemary / garlic paste and let it marinade for a couple of hours. I then cooked it to a gorgeous medium rare, poured a glass of wine, and dug in.

A W F U L!

Tough, and awful. :s
Have any of you cooked a leg of lamb steak? 

My dinner last night was wine and brownies. So, not a complete loss. ;)

I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,529
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, they look amazing though!
    edit: SV then sear next time perhaps?
    canuckland
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    @bgebrent is the lamb king around here. Perhaps he can offer assistance. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    This post made me laugh. We should all post our fails more often; I know I have them. To your question, I've never cooked a leg of lamb steak. I'll be curious to hear other's responses though; I would think what you did should have yielded a good result. If the meat is medium rare I wouldn't think it would make any difference if it came from a whole leg or a steak cut. IT is IT right? It shouldn't matter how you get there. Maybe it was the quality of the meat itself but how would you know?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    My Mom was a great fan of all things lamb, me not so much. She always braised lamb steaks due to the toughness of the meat. I think you may have had a tour down the garden path from your butcher. 
    Wonder if you could treat like a beef round steak? Pre-sear, drop in the SV for 18 to 24 hours to improve the texture and then finish sear for plating. As always, your less than tasty lamb steaks look awesome. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    No leg of lamb steak here, but I've definitely had wine and brownies. That was great, I think. It's kind of a hazy memory. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    i cut leg of lamb into kabobs and never had that problem, maybe the butcher cut it more with the grain than against. you want to lean more rare than toward medium with med/rare lamb, and cut that fat off =) lamb fat is gross
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Florida Grillin Girl Posts: 4,973
    edited April 2017
    Options
    In what way were they awful? The sure look like they would be good. 

Is it leg of lamb sliced? I have made that before and here is my post on it. 
    http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=112&func=view&catid=1&id=1391018#1391018

I will say that I prefer Australian or New Zealand lamb to American lamb.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • kaybee
    kaybee Posts: 120
    Options
    Maybe try a reverse sear approach to give them longer to cook and hopefully get more tender? They look thick enough to take a reverse sear.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I've only cooked (butterflied) Australian leg of lamb twice. Followed this recipe, though it didn't take as long to get to temp as they say it does. Excellent results. Sounds like you did pretty much the same thing though.

I'd go back to the butcher and tell him you want a freebie... one that's EDIBLE this time.

Or, just have another glass of wine? =) 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Thanks, y'all!  I think from now on I'll stick to Rack of Lamb and Lamb Chops.

And: brownies and wine. ;)

@Florida Grillin Girl that looks/sounds great! My steaks were tough-- I hated the texture.

John, god love him, ate every bite of his steak. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    Given your skill set and the cook, I would put this squarely on the lamb as others have said.  Never have cooked a leg of lamb steak but have done many leg's of lamb.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I'm not sure whether I've cooked leg of lamb sliced into steaks, but one of my very favorite lamb dishes is butterflied leg of lamb, marinated in red wine, herbs, onions, carrots, etc., and cooked like a thick beef steak, so it's crusty on the outside and medium rare on the inside.  LOVE that stuff!  It's not sliced the same way yours was, but it's the same cut of meat, and not cooked low and slow, but hot and fast, like a steak.  I didn't do reverse sear back then (haven't made it in a long time -- my wife hates lamb, so I don't make it often), and didn't have a BGE, but I'd guess I probably cooked it over something similar to 350° direct in a Weber kettle grill, cooking it medium rare (I'd reverse sear it, if I made it these days).  It was wonderful, and I don't understand why slicing the same piece of meat into steaks would have made it tough.

I'm sorry -- it's a mystery to me.  I would easily imagine well-done lamb leg might be tough cooked hot and fast, but you cooked it medium rare, so I don't understand it.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Given your skill set and the cook, I would put this squarely on the lamb as others have said.  Never have cooked a leg of lamb steak but have done many leg's of lamb.  FWIW-
    I'm with Cap here Kristi.  I think you got some bad lamb.  See what your butcher says.  Sorry it didn't turn out well for you.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

I did something last year that was similar - I think it was labeled as a shoulder steak.  Flavor was excellent but definitely tough.  If I do it again I'll use the sous vide tenderizer - 24-30 hours in a 132 degree bath, then a sear.

Those steaks up there look awesome.  Bummer they didn't cooperate!

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

Found it - my grocer carried a bunch of Lava Lake Farms products last year.  Awesome stuff.  Now I want to try the shoulder steak again and do it justice.

https://www.lavalakelamb.com/product/lamb-shoulder-steaks/

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    But the photo is still a winner...
    A friend of mine is going to cook at his first Eggfest next weekend. He had so many questions I just did not know what to do. So I sent him your web page link to your Eggfest photos. He said it gave him a great feel of what to expect and many ideas on things to cook.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I have never tried lamb steaks and probably wont! Oh well Kristi you cant win them all.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    In what way were they awful? The sure look like they would be good. 

Is it leg of lamb sliced? I have made that before and here is my post on it. 
    http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=112&func=view&catid=1&id=1391018#1391018

Besides your awesome skills, the nice cross cut piece you cooked might be the way to go.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SciAggie
    Options
    How are they different? The reason I ask is I don't have a refined enough palate to discern the difference between Angus or Hereford beef anymore than different breeds of chickens. Is it the difference between grass fed and feed lot beef? I see a difference there. I ask seriously because I hear this sort of statement often I have no frame of reference to understand how they are different enough to know where the meat originated. I'm genuinely curious.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    How are they different? The reason I ask is I don't have a refined enough palate to discern the difference between Angus or Hereford beef anymore than different breeds of chickens. Is it the difference between grass fed and feed lot beef? I see a difference there. I ask seriously because I hear this sort of statement often I have no frame of reference to understand how they are different enough to know where the meat originated. I'm genuinely curious.
    Australian and NZ lamb are usually grass fed. They will have more of a wild "gamey" taste to them. Nothing wrong with that as long as you don't cook it past Medium as that's when the gamey flavor starts to come out more. When cooking rack of lamb, I try to stick to Medium-Rare or more towards the Rare side of that.

American lamb is usually grain finished to try to fatten it up a bit. Some think the gamey taste has been bred out of the American lamb because it has a different taste to it. I'll eat it, but to me it doesn't really taste like lamb. You can cook American lamb a little longer.

My mom does a lamb curry with lamb chops. She always overcooks it. It comes out soft like an overcooked brisket. It's good but thought it might be better without overcooking the meat so I had her stop before getting to medium. Bad idea. The meat came out tough and wasn't as good. I told her to go back to overcooking it.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Theophan
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    ... My mom does a lamb curry with lamb chops. She always overcooks it. It comes out soft like an overcooked brisket. It's good but thought it might be better without overcooking the meat so I had her stop before getting to medium. Bad idea. The meat came out tough and wasn't as good. I told her to go back to overcooking it.
    For a curry, I'd think long, slow braising would be good, but I've never tried it with medium rare.

My mom used to broil lamb chops till they were well done!  I grew up with them, and liked them, actually.  But then when I started cooking, myself, and made some medium-rare lamb, wow, that's what I prefer, most of the time.

Toxarch said:
    ... Some think the gamey taste has been bred out of the American lamb because it has a different taste to it. I'll eat it, but to me it doesn't really taste like lamb.
    I'm with you!  I love the taste of lamb, have often thought I'd be interested to try mutton, sometime, which I gather has a much stronger flavor than lamb, but I've never seen any in the stores.  I think somewhere in the South, Kentucky, maybe, they do some sort of mutton BBQ, and I'd really like to try that!
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Theophan said:
    Toxarch said:
    ... My mom does a lamb curry with lamb chops. She always overcooks it. It comes out soft like an overcooked brisket. It's good but thought it might be better without overcooking the meat so I had her stop before getting to medium. Bad idea. The meat came out tough and wasn't as good. I told her to go back to overcooking it.
    For a curry, I'd think long, slow braising would be good, but I've never tried it with medium rare.

My mom used to broil lamb chops till they were well done!  I grew up with them, and liked them, actually.  But then when I started cooking, myself, and made some medium-rare lamb, wow, that's what I prefer, most of the time.

Toxarch said:
    ... Some think the gamey taste has been bred out of the American lamb because it has a different taste to it. I'll eat it, but to me it doesn't really taste like lamb.
    I'm with you!  I love the taste of lamb, have often thought I'd be interested to try mutton, sometime, which I gather has a much stronger flavor than lamb, but I've never seen any in the stores.  I think somewhere in the South, Kentucky, maybe, they do some sort of mutton BBQ, and I'd really like to try that!
    A little background @Theophan.

https://www.thespruce.com/owensboro-mutton-barbecue-331595

• NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

A friend of mine is going to cook at his first Eggfest next weekend. He had so many questions I just did not know what to do. So I sent him your web page link to your Eggfest photos. He said it gave him a great feel of what to expect and many ideas on things to cook.
    Cool, thank you!  After next weekend, he'll be hooked for life! ;) 
  • NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    I have never tried lamb steaks and probably wont! Oh well Kristi you cant win them all.
    Exactly.   I call them One and Done Meals -- meaning one bite and I move on to something better like chocolate &/or cheese. Life is too short! :smiley:

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    edited April 2017
    Options

John, god love him, ate every bite of his steak. 

That's a man who knows where his bread is buttered!

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    @SciAggie - I agree with what @Toxarch said regarding lamb. The American lamb just doesn't have that "lamby" taste that Australian and New Zealand lamb has, which I happen to like. I can only assume it is due to being fed a grain diet.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @Florida Grillin Girl Thanks for the feedback. I googled that question today and got a variety of answers so I appreciate your first hand knowledge. I only have experience with locally acquired lamb.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    Exactly.   I call them One and Done Meals -- meaning one bite and I move on to something better like chocolate &/or cheese. Life is too short! :smiley:

That's one that would go in my dog's dish.  She loves it all! 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Theophan
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    THANKS for the link!  It's more than 8h away from me, don't know if I'll get there, but I saved the info just in case.  I'd REALLY like to try smoked mutton.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    I lived in KY for more than 12 years a while back and I've not had it myself.  I love lamb and prolly would love this dish.  Its on my to do next time Im up there.  I found the history interesting.  I'll be through there this year.  I'll let you know.