Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Home made ital sausage for sons birthday party sunday

Options
I actually ground this meat during holidays and froze it.   When i asked my son what he wanted for his birthday family party this sunday, he said, "Dad, i want sausage but none of that stuff in the store, just the stuff you make with all that equipment Mom complains about..."  so, thawed out 15 lbs worth of ground shouldah, mixed up some salt, garlic, red flakes amd fennel and lugged out the lem 15 lb piston driven stuffer amd heres what we ended up with

I am drinking tomorrow soooo, when these are on the bge, i may forget to take a pic of the finished product....

I also shredded some provolone and mixed it in with the meat...

Comments

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    Options
    "Dad, i want sausage but none of that stuff in the store, just the stuff you make with all that equipment Mom complains about..."
    Hahahahahahahaha!

And ... they look outstanding. A sausage maker is added to our list of gadgets to buy. Fortunately SWMBO has wanted one for a long time. :D
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    Props to you, by far my favorite lichen hobby...looks awesome 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Fantastic looking...
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Looks great!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Options
    Just made our first batch yesterday. Everything went as advertised until the twisting. Had a couple of blowouts while twisting. Maybe stuffed 'em to full??
    Another issue was getting the hog casings on the stuffer tube. What a pain! Had some LEM's 32~35mm casings and they refused to slide on the 32mm (OD) tube. Switched it out for the smaller 22mm tube but they were still a pain to get all the way on the tube. I had watched several videos on the subject and they all made it look easy. Not so much for me though.
    A test fry of the 1/2 cup or so that was left in the stuffer was great though.
    I just need to find the secret to threading the casings on the tube and the twist that won't break the skin.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Looks great!  I love making sausage because you can really alter the recipe and make exactly what you like. What size plate are you using for the grind? I am going a bit bigger anymore and using 1/4" to give it a "rougher"  texture.

@JohnH12,
    If you are having the casings bursting: I have had three causes that I have experienced which I have since addressed and eliminated 99% of bursting:
    1. Verify that the casings do not have any holes prior to stuffing.
    2. Stuffing the sausage too tight because of human error OR;
    3. I have noticed that if I do not add enough water/wine/beer, then I have the tendency to pack it too tight and rupture the casing.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Looks great!  I love making sausage because you can really alter the recipe and make exactly what you like. What size plate are you using for the grind? I am going a bit bigger anymore and using 1/4" to give it a "rougher"  texture.

@JohnH12,
    If you are having the casings bursting: I have had three causes that I have experienced which I have since addressed and eliminated 99% of bursting:
    1. Verify that the casings do not have any holes prior to stuffing.
    2. Stuffing the sausage too tight because of human error OR;
    3. I have noticed that if I do not add enough water/wine/beer, then I have the tendency to pack it too tight and rupture the casing.
    My guess would be #3.
    The wife mixed in the seasoning and said she didn't want it too runny. I wasn't in the mood to disagree since she's the Sweet Italian Sausage expert!
    Next time I might "accidentally" spill some beer in the mix as I'm loading the stuffer.
    Any tips on getting the casings on the stuffer tube? I have a Hakka with SS tubes. It came with 16, 22, 32, and 38 millimeter tubes that are about 6 1/2 inches long.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
     "Lube" the tube with water, make sure the casings have soaked for a while, and load the tube right from the water it is soaking in. That is the only thing I have ever done, and I have never had an issue.

Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    "Dad, i want sausage but none of that stuff in the store, just the stuff you make with all that equipment Mom complains about..."
    Hahahahahahahaha!

And ... they look outstanding. A sausage maker is added to our list of gadgets to buy. Fortunately SWMBO has wanted one for a long time. :D
    It was too funny!  my little guys and all their buddies love the home made sausage i make, they go nuts for it to the point they will help make it and do other chores just to be able to have some

I grew up in wisconsin amd we always had johnsonville brats.    After making my own bratwurst and just using fresh meat, no chemicals and all the right spices, i attempted to eat a jv brat and nearly upchucked....it was that bad compared to what my homemade sausage tasted like

My brother was a butcher years ago and he told me that i didnt want to know what went into hamburger and brats!
  • westernbbq
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
     "Lube" the tube with water, make sure the casings have soaked for a while, and load the tube right from the water it is soaking in. That is the only thing I have ever done, and I have never had an issue.

This is spot on and i pour a little olive oil down the input from the cannister opening of the tube and sort of work it through the casing...ive found this to be mega helpful in sliding the casing on

Always be careful to not over stuff and keep the casings wet so they slide right off the tube....
  • westernbbq
    Options
    @Sea2Ski,  as to size for grind it is single ground fine grinding plate for my LEM #12 grinder...which can pretty much handle all i throw at it
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:

Yup, and I found a long soak helps as well. I use the largest LEM tube and I found the long soak, make sure to get ALL the twists out of the casing and they go right on...my casings come in a saline solution. The ones Dry Packed really benefit from a day long soak 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • westernbbq
    Options
    Posted elsewhere here but here is the finished about to be eaten product....
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    I actually ground this meat during holidays and froze it.   When i asked my son what he wanted for his birthday family party this sunday, he said, "Dad, i want sausage but none of that stuff in the store, just the stuff you make with all that equipment Mom complains about..."  so, thawed out 15 lbs worth of ground shouldah, mixed up some salt, garlic, red flakes amd fennel and lugged out the lem 15 lb piston driven stuffer amd heres what we ended up with
    I love it.

On burst casings, I agree w other posters.  Liquid wont make the sausage runny, as it disperses when cooking anyway. Don't need to constipate your sausage. 

On getting casings on the stuffer, water, water, water. 

Nice work
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • westernbbq
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Thanks @20stone...i will admit when i first started making sausage about four years ago, burst casings were a recurring problem.   Water definitely helps both for elasticity on casings and mixing with meat to help it move along.   A side benefit is that the cooked product doesnt dry out.    Juicy sausages off the bge are incredible....

When i make brats, i mix in some lager beer, and the ital sausages have about 1/2 cup of chianti per 15 lbs plus the ice cold water....

I am thinking about perhaps chorizo with dos eqquis?   Or a little tequila?   The liquor is more for flavor than liquid lubrication....but last weekend i had plenty of lubrication for my brain as i put down a few beers.....

The beauty of sausage making is that your combinations and opportunities for creativity are unlimited.   
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Congrats.  That's a win on many levels!!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    The beauty of sausage making is that your combinations and opportunities for creativity are unlimited.   
    Absolutely.  Some types of cooking require pretty rigorous adhesion to recipes to work out, but with sausage, unless you screw up the lean/fat mix or over salt, can do just about whatever the heck you want.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    The homemade sausage looks fantastic!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • westernbbq
    Options
    I will see if i can find my salt spice sausage ratio guid and post it here if anyone in eggland wants to try it out.   herbs de province mix is pretty good for a nice french sausage and i am looking at making some swedish potato sausage 

Unlimited recipe combos and ill see if i can find my base mixture ratio. I think its either per lb or per 5 lb of ground meat....