Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Ribeyes in the Fire

bgebrent
bgebrent Posts: 19,636
Cooked some prime ribeyes caveman style.  Never disappoints.  Egged gold potatoes and such.  Good ole steak and taters.  And great roundball.

The beef.

I trim the fatty tail off to decrease flare ups, just like with DA steaks.

Delicious.

Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga

Comments

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Brent, thanks for making me feel like crap about my cook tonight.   Those look awesome. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Nice. Very nice. Never cooked directly on the coals. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Great cook-caveman for the win.  Most eggcellent.  Sunday line-up will be quite the games, definitely best match-ups across the board.    
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,745
    Haven't had the guts to try caveman style steaks yet, but when I do try for the first time I doubt it will be with prime ribeyes. Great looking cook.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,829
    Thanks for posting this.  I was trying to figure out how to impress some VIP guests tomorrow when cooking at my in-laws' winter cabin on a Weber and for some reason it didn't cross my mind to do a caveman cook - until now.

Between this and the help you provided in picking my brackets, my hatred for you is diminished about 1%.

You're still a UK fan after all...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• bgebrent
    ryantt said:
    Brent, thanks for making me feel like crap about my cook tonight.   Those look awesome. 
    Your cook was awesome my friend!  
  • bgebrent

GrillSgt said:
    Nice. Very nice. Never cooked directly on the coals. 
    You should try it.  It's a game changer.
  • bgebrent
    lousubcap said:
    Great cook-caveman for the win.  Most eggcellent.  Sunday line-up will be quite the games, definitely best match-ups across the board.    
    Tomorrow is huge for sure Cap.  Our boys have a tough match up.  But I believe.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    How do you live with yourself? Good grief that's fantastic! 
  • bgebrent

Foghorn said:
    Thanks for posting this.  I was trying to figure out how to impress some VIP guests tomorrow when cooking at my in-laws' winter cabin on a Weber and for some reason it didn't cross my mind to do a caveman cook - until now.

Between this and the help you provided in picking my brackets, my hatred for you is diminished about 1%.

You're still a UK fan after all...
    You can copy all I do, but you're still a piece of Puke!
  • Those steaks look great.  But dang if I would have the courage to put prime ribeyes directly on the coals. 
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    NIce Brent! We had the same thing tonight, I went reverse sear and finished them in the cast iron on MiniMax!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • bgebrent
    Those steaks look great.  But dang if I would have the courage to put prime ribeyes directly on the coals. 
    You can do it brother!  They turn out amazing.  No guts... ;)
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    You've been on an extended run of great cooks my friend.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    SciAggie said:
    That Brent is a Professional.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • bgebrent
    SciAggie said:
    Thank you brother!
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Those steaks look great.  But dang if I would have the courage to put prime ribeyes directly on the coals. 
    Exactly what I was thinking Dave!  @bgebrent do you have to wait for the coals to turn red and then drop them on?  How do you gauge when to drop?  I'd be worried I couldn't get the ash off of them. 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • bgebrent
    GoooDawgs said:
    Exactly what I was thinking Dave!  @bgebrent do you have to wait for the coals to turn red and then drop them on?  How do you gauge when to drop?  I'd be worried I couldn't get the ash off of them. 
    Yes you want the coals red and a little space between steaks so the fire can breathe.  They collect no ash (using RW but probably doesn't matter).  Only have to knock off an occasional piece of lump.  No big deal.  Dome 500-600 works well.  Dome closed half the time during the cook.
  • lousubcap
    The key to success is a good hot, level/even bed of lump.  I run with the dome open for the duration.  Long tongs-toss 'em on-and  and run for around 2 minutes, (thickness dependent-1 1/2-2" work great), flip then go again; check for temp around 3-4 mins total.  If short flip again to hit the finish temp.  Lump won't stick and it is a show-stopper when guests are around and have not experienced it before.  Great crust.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Killer 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936
    SciAggie said:
    I'm convinced he has someone staying at his house, like a brother-in-law or a cousin Vinny.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • A caveman has been on my guy's night checklist. Have you ever reverse seared caveman Brent?  Most of my crew likes warm but rare. Wild game makes that a tough sell but may fair better with less fat on open flame. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    nice steaks! have your guests bought an egg yet?  
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • bgebrent
    SciAggie said:
    I'm convinced he has someone staying at his house, like a brother-in-law or a cousin Vinny.
    No, it's Nichole ;)
  • bgebrent

A caveman has been on my guy's night checklist. Have you ever reverse seared caveman Brent?  Most of my crew likes warm but rare. Wild game makes that a tough sell but may fair better with less fat on open flame. 
    Caveman is perfect for warm but rare, tailor made even.  No reason you couldn't reverse sear with caveman method.  I'd try it once or twice before being comfortable.
  • Small potatoes make the meat look big, I don't have the guts to cook a steak that way but you make it look really tempting. 

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• bgebrent
    Small potatoes make the meat look big, I don't have the guts to cook a steak that way but you make it look really tempting. 
    Try it! =)
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Still haven't tried caveman style, great results there. I need to give it a try.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • lousubcap
    As long as you hit the finish-line temp the cow doesn't care how you get there.  Trust the force and the thermopen.  Give it a go-
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Wow, that is some b-e-a-utiful beef. Havent done a cave man in a while. Might have to do one this week. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL