Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can a BGE be painted successfully???

Options
Reason there is a BGE that had been cracked and repaired for sale very inexpensively that my son was thinking about. To make it nice it need to be painted..   Thoughts???

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    The egg color is fired ceramic, not paint. BUT some people have tried a high temperature paint and then used their egg only for lo & slo. Personally if I were your son I'd pass it by, even though it is cheap!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    B747crew said:
    Reason there is a BGE that had been cracked and repaired for sale very inexpensively that my son was thinking about. To make it nice it need to be painted..   Thoughts???
    Good thought, but unless its $50 and will be placed on cement away from flammable stuff, I would pass.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    As others note above, cracked Eggs are dangerous.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    That little crack can get very expensive quickly. Just beware what you are getting into. Like RRP mentions, the egg is fired ceramic. The egg you son is looking into might not be an egg. Could it be an old clay cooker? Paint will usually fall off of those 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    If the rest of the egg is in good condition, it may be that you can replace the cracked part and still get a good deal.

NOLA
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    That little crack can get very expensive quickly. Just beware what you are getting into. Like RRP mentions, the egg is fired ceramic. The egg you son is looking into might not be an egg. Could it be an old clay cooker? Paint will usually fall off of those 
    My first kamado style cooker was one of those painted clay types,
    It was a real looker, red in color with black flecked finish. A real beauty until the finish came off. When it did it absorbed water in the rain. This eventually caused the egg to crack into many pieces. A total waste of money.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @buzd504 speaks the truth. But beware, other pieces will crack down the road and without a warranty, your son could soon spend more than he would have otherwise buying a new Egg with warranty. 
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    My advice is to pass on a cracked Egg, even "repaired" and cheap. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    Options
    It really depends on where the crack is folks.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Have bought 2 for $10.00 each, no complaints yet.

TEN BUCKS
    http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=733517&catid=1

BLACK BEAUTY
    http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1156764&catid=1

BGE, Kamado, Black Beauty, Richard Fl

1. Black Beauty:

2. She atarted out as a #4 Kamado whose previous owner acquired in Japan 40 odd years age. I found her in an estate sale for Yup $10 about 3 months ago. She had no bottom vent or bands.

3. Original manufacture's mark:

4. 2 tops and some innards:

5. Had a slight problem and the top became a Humpty Dumpty project:

6. The outer surface had been badly peeled off, so after fixing the top I used some Quickrete to resurface both parts:

7. More Repairs.

NOTES

1. The bottom vent happened to be the same size as a large BGE so got a new one. I had to get a band and the large BGE was 3 inches in diameter too large and the medium was too small. A fellow egger, John Yee, from California mentioned that he was replacing the scissor band on his large with the spring hinge, so we traded for his old band. Thanks John.

2. John Yee who provided the band.:
    When I decided that some of the surface area needed to be built up on the bottom and then I broke the top, bah I started to take a putty knife to all the ceramic on the bottom and easily peal it off. then I placed with the cement.
    That cement I used I had several pieces that were peeling off the bottom and after my accident with the top I just bought a can $6-8 at Lowes. Mix a little cup or so at a time as it has a fast set up time. Worked it all over and even did the inside of the top.. When I had done an area and it had set a little I took a wet rag and rubbed over lightly to smooth out the finish. It is slightly ruff grainy and after the whole thing was done, I took some 60-80 grit sand paper and just highlighted the finish, So far I am happy at this stage of the project.

3. Next had to get a welder to remove 3 inches on each side of the front bands. One welder wanted $75 and the other agreed to trade for a slab of ribs, 24 chicken wings and a 16 oz bottle of my chipotle BBQ Sauce. Guess which one got the job?

4. Now I only need a new handle. Anyone want to trade for some spices? Thanks for putting up with my wanderings.

5. NOTE to self. Keep under 375F.

Recipe Type: Equiptment/Toys

Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2011/09/22**
    Web Page: http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1156764&catid=1

Author Notes
    Egghead Forum, Stike 2012/06/02:

Dont confuse high dome temps with high temps

You can sear at 1200 on that with no issues

How?
    With a dome temp 400-500 and lump somewhat close to the grid, either by lowering the grid or filling with lump

Lump burns at 1200 or more, even when your dome says 250.
    Your eggs will sear just fine. Some folks as a rule sear at 400 dome anyway

So why do people claim you cant cook in that hing at decent temps? Dunno. Most of them dont own one, and are repeating admonitions that keep getting repeated simlly because they get repeated so often

The danger with the old earthenware kamados (whether yours is a BGE brand is irrelevant. It IS an old kamado) is that they can absorb water and experience cracking either through freeze/thaw (dont leave it outside in the winter), or from taking to crazy temps after periods of long soaking rains

Keep temps moderate (say 500 max), and have a ball. If you are considering making it a planter, you'll be ruining it anyway. Better to 'ruin' it by actually using it. But i'm betting you wont ruin it at all. The original owner didnt

A high temp paint will keep the rain off. The new eggs are made of a different ceramic and are glazed (effectively, glass-coated). But by painting yours (they were originally pained) and using it at less than skyrocket temps, you'll certainly be able to use it just like the original egg owners did.

Check the Naked Whiz's site for an original owner's manual

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    The color is a kiln fired glaze. If you fired it for the color, it can be done. You can overgraze ceramics. You can't Refire and fix a crack ... in fact Likly make it worse. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    No.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Sure why not. Depending on the actual asking price and more importantly where it's going to be placed for use. Use some gray matter and don't place in an area that's a potential for devastation. There are several options available when it comes to high temp paint. This one may be better suited for this application. Obviously more labor than a rattle can. 
    https://www.cerakotehightemp.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw2LjGBRDYm9jj5JSxiJcBEiQAwKWAC-ii2VIsgXUCUVoXDPvC7anUXUNvFxqOWDGwVHFkU34aAgNe8P8HAQ
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    No. Let somebody else have the problem. Do not risk a dangerous fire. That cracked and repaired egg could end up being a very costly way to cook food. Not worth the risk, and zero warranty. No way.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    I agree with the comments about the possibility of a fire. If my egg cracked and all the lit lump spilled out I doubt I would have a fire because everything out there is concrete and brick, but, with Murphy's Law, the day that would happen is when I would have bales of hay, a can of gasoline and my Acme Wile E. Coyote dynamite stacked next to the house.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Do it man. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    To be fair the OP wasn't asking whether he should buy it or not. He asked if he could successfully paint it. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    To be fair the OP wasn't asking whether he should buy it or not. He asked if he could successfully paint it. 

I don't care what was asked, if I have an opinion I'm going to share it!  Alfalfa pellets around your roses every few months, thank me later.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    It can be painted.

How long it stays painted is a more intetesting question.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Buy your son an Egg...great gift.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Conway_Twitty
    Options
    I find you can paint them with any paint, but the latex type paints are the best.