Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

heavy air tonight - I think anyway!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,897
I'm assuming heavy air is just a term for moisture saturated air before it actually rains...right? Anyway the forecast here is to start snowing later tonight and then we are to get 5 to 6" of snow. I had a heck of a time getting my large egg up to 400 tonight. I mean it fought me all the way and took 45 minutes. Only rationale I can think of is heavy air! 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @RRP - I have taken several different approaches to your question about heavy air and run thru the universal knowledge machine "Google" and can't find a solid definition.  Many are close to your above definition so you win as there is no consensus.  And it makes total sense.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    SGH said:
    Ron I have been passing a little heavy air myself after eating 2 Big Macs and a 20 piece McNugget. 
    If you had ron's money..............

Little Rock, AR

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    SGH said:
    Ron I have been passing a little heavy air myself after eating 2 Big Macs and a 20 piece McNugget. 
    That is my favorite value meal right now.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    That's what I'll call it from now on.

"Honey, you might want to avoid the bathroom for a while.   There's some heavy air in there."

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    SGH said:

This happened once, and caused me heavy air and also feeling like $h1t half an hour after I ate it
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    There is only heavy water.  Or heavy weight.  Two different things.  When you say "heavy air" that would pertain either to humidity being high or the atmospheric pressure.  AP likely being low.  As you might assume a high humidity might slow down a fire, slightly at best.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Sailors know very well that "heavy air" exists. Some love it. Some loathe it. As a former Laser sailor I loved heavy air. Very exciting.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Sailors know very well that "heavy air" exists. Some love it. Some loathe it. As a former Laser sailor I loved heavy air. Very exciting.
    Quintessential explanation.  Thanks for the vague, no science post.  Knowing you, anything else that us lay folk might decipher?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • HeavyG
    Options
    No science-y explanation available - just sailor's jargon. In sailing terms "heavy air" just refers to strongish winds. 

Of course that then opens up the semantics of wind having strength. :)

Heavy air would be generally defined as winds having a velocity of 15+ knots (in the Beaufort Force 5-6 neighborhood).

"Heavy weather" in sailing is a combo of high winds and high waves.

None of the above likely has anything to do with @RRP 's Egg.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    SGH said:

Brother Pharmacist, if I had Rons money I would dine on lobster and ribeye everyday  =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    No science-y explanation available - just sailor's jargon. In sailing terms "heavy air" just refers to strongish winds. 

Heavy air would be generally defined as winds having a velocity of 15+ knots (in the Beaufort Force 5-6 neighborhood).

Unless his Egg goes sailing across the patio.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    SGH said:
    Hey don't blame the mighty Big Mac. It's those nasty chicken nugget bombs that do the dirty work.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    SGH said:
    Have you tried the "grand mac" ?? Subsequent farts for those lucky enough to be in your presence mythological 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Never knew this. I always thought it referred to high humidity. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    isnt dry air heavier ;)  humid wet eggs are always slower to light, ash in my maine egg can turn to sludge in a week in the spring
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Well if I had to be proven wrong in my thinking glad it was by none other than Count Lorenzo Romano Amedeo Carlo Avogadro! Bet be could make a mean pizza! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i was just thinking about those heavey high pressure blue bird days when the fish dont bite =)
    fukahwee maine

• HeavyG
    Options
    RRP said:
    Well if I had to be proven wrong in my thinking glad it was by none other than Count Lorenzo Romano Amedeo Carlo Avogadro! Bet be could make a mean pizza! 
    His pizza recipes may be lost to history but he is certainly remembered to this day for "Avogadros Number".

• fishlessman
    Options

Image result for Avogadros Number
    fukahwee maine

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Can we get back to the Fart humor. All this science stuff bores me. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options

Ah, Avagadros number ... a bit sad I laughed at this, but I did.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Foghorn
    Options
    So, for @pgprescott, can someone please calculate how many molecules of stench smell are in a cubic yard of one of @SGH's "heavy air events"?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    So, for @pgprescott, can someone please calculate how many molecules of stench smell are in a cubic yard of one of @SGH's "heavy air events"?
    There are a lot of ppm's of stench in a cy of heavy air from sgh. A cy a stench is butt load of stench! Fo sho. 
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    There are a lot of ppm's of stench in a cy of heavy air from sgh. A cy a stench is butt load of stench! Fo sho. 
    No doubt.

San Antonio, TX

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options

Ah, Avagadros number ... a bit sad I laughed at this, but I did.
    Never seen him before, I would've expected he had a few moles.
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Avogadros give me "heavy air" when I eat them whole, but not when I use them for guacamole. Wonder why that is...
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • HeavyG
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    Avogadros give me "heavy air" when I eat them whole, but not when I use them for guacamole. Wonder why that is...
    The mnemonic I used in chem class many decades ago to remember Avogadros number gives you grams/mole was "avocados give you guacamole".

About the only thing I remember from that class 40+ years later.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Ron, aren't you glad you started this?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut