Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PSA - Costco memberships to increase in June.....?

Options
Just heard that the memberships are going up, $5 for Gold Star and $10 for executive. Will take effect in June. First increase in a long, long time as I recall. 
Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Yeah. The last increase from 50/100 to 55/110 was 15 years ago or so. They will still be paying me to shop there, so "meh" is the best I can muster.

EDIT: Check that, the last bump was in 2011. I thought it had happened when I still worked there. The one previous to that was in the late 90s, I believe.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    It's worth it. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • ToTheMax
    ToTheMax Posts: 150
    Options
    Again? They just increased it in recent years!

Eh... I guess I'll shell out more money. My executive check is usually about $120-$160, so it'll cover the full membership anyways.

Thanks for the PSA.
    Northern Virginia
    LBGE ~'14
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Increase is already in effect for any new memberships!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Increase is already in effect for any new memberships!
    Did not know that.....mine is due this month, will log on and see what they charge - my invoice says$110 - but even at $120 it is OK with me.
    As @ToTheMax says - Executive cheque this year paid for the membership, in my case it was well over $200. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    Don't spend enough there to justify the Exec membership, but plenty to benefit from the regular. I'll pay with no complaints.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • ToTheMax
    Options
    OhioEgger said:
    Don't spend enough there to justify the Exec membership, but plenty to benefit from the regular. I'll pay with no complaints.
    One of the features of the exec that many people don't know about, is if you don't get your full refund ($55, well now $60) at the time of your membership renewal; you go to the customer service desk and they'll credit you the difference.

So you never lose money, worst case you break even, best case you make money.
    Northern Virginia
    LBGE ~'14
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @ToTheMax that's what I was thinking. I use mine for our house as well as our church for bi weekly meetings to feed a Veterans group so I spend a small fortune there and my check back always covers the membership. 

Can you even find anything in Costco that is less than $10 (besides a slice of pizza and a hot dog?)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    @Killit_and_Grillit - lots of stuff for under $10, but they sure add up quickly. SWMBO calls it the $200 store, every time we go in, it costs us $200 to get out!
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    @Killit_and_Grillit - lots of stuff for under $10, but they sure add up quickly. SWMBO calls it the $200 store, every time we go in, it costs us $200 to get out!
    More often than not we're excited to get out of Costco for $200.   =)

Hoping that we get one down the street from Wegmans, where they're tearing down an old mall.  It would be much better than another Walmart super center.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @Skiddymarker @Acn At least. And GFS is next door to ours so they usually get me twice!

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    @Skiddymarker @Acn At least. And GFS is next door to ours so they usually get me twice!
    Speaking of GFS (Gordon Food Services here) buddy is the chef at a local pub/restaurant and he has me hooked on the 10# boxes of Pacific 16-24 size shrimp. He buys thru the pub and delivers to y door, just like Amazon. Would be about $5US/pound. I keep telling him he is worse than the local meth dealer. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Options

Acn said:
    More often than not we're excited to get out of Costco for $200.   =)

Hoping that we get one down the street from Wegmans, where they're tearing down an old mall.  It would be much better than another Walmart super center.
    It is a tough spot not to impulse shop - we keep both the one in Bellingham WA and our local Surrey wharehouse in business. It is a dirty job, but someone has to do it. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    For an extra $5, those bastards need to start carrying packers.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Amazing that the Bellingham WA Costco has Prime packers, <$3US/pound. Our Canadian Costco has nothing that even looks like brisket, no flats, no points, no nothing. Have one in the freezer now, thanks for reminding me, need to take out to thaw for next week...
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Amazing that the Bellingham WA Costco has Prime packers, <$3US/pound. Our Canadian Costco has nothing that even looks like brisket, no flats, no points, no nothing. Have one in the freezer now, thanks for reminding me, need to take out to thaw for next week...
    Georgia Costcos can't even spell brisket...
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Heard on the radio when they were discussing the price increase, they said 70% of Costco's profit was from membership fees. They also said Costco was feeling pressure from Amazon Prime.
    I don't currently have a Costco card, The only store in the area is 30 minutes from my home. When I had a card I liked using it.....perhaps too much.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Was reading back some comments to SWMBO, when I read your statement, she said with a straight face "Really? We have packers at our Costco". She was talking about the guy or gal that puts your stuff in the grocery cart/buggy.....
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    GregW said:
    Heard on the radio when they were discussing the price increase, they said 70% of Costco's profit was from membership fees. They also said Costco was feeling pressure from Amazon Prime.
    I don't currently have a Costco card, The only store in the area is 30 minutes from my home. When I had a card I liked using it.....perhaps too much.
    Amazon Prime in Canada is only $80CDN/year ($60US). The selection is much smaller but living in the Vancouver area, I can get same day delivery on Prime eligible items - so I can see Amazon hurting Costco's business. Loving the Prime Video, some good oldies and new shows. 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Lucky you, around here it's the 400$ store....

Options
    paqman said:
    Lucky you, around here it's the 400$ store....
    True, but I spend $200 in the Surrey BC store, then $200 in the Bellingham WA store, sometimes in the same week, so given the exchange I'm guessing it is the $460CDN store!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Total check from executive and Costco visa rewards was about $650 this year. I think I'm still shopping there.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    caliking said:
    Total check from executive and Costco visa rewards was about $650 this year. I think I'm still shopping there.
    Are you my dad? 

You need to try harder too. The limit for cash back is being raised from 750 to 1k.
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    ToTheMax said:
    OhioEgger said:
    One of the features of the exec that many people don't know about, is if you don't get your full refund ($55, well now $60) at the time of your membership renewal; you go to the customer service desk and they'll credit you the difference.

I never knew this. Was planning to cancel because we just don't go there that often anymore. Googled this and it seems they stopped doing it last year. Anyone have any solid data on whether they still provide the refund?
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    It is my understanding that an Executive membership is refundable in full at any time if you are dissatisfied with the service.

Risk-Free 100% Satisfaction Guarantee

• On Membership: We will cancel and refund your membership fee in full at any time if you are dissatisfied.
    @HofstraJet may be onto something - The only way to get the real answer is to visit a wharehouse and ask...you would have to do that to cancel anyway. 
  • ToTheMax
    Options
    ToTheMax said:
    OhioEgger said:

I never knew this. Was planning to cancel because we just don't go there that often anymore. Googled this and it seems they stopped doing it last year. Anyone have any solid data on whether they still provide the refund?

My friend signed up a few months ago and conformed the still do this. So if they did cancel it, it's definitely not last year, but more recent.
    Northern Virginia
    LBGE ~'14
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    GregW said:
    They are open about their business model.  Essentially, they run their stores to barely make a profit or break even.  The membership money is their profit.  

They pretty much do a flat 15% markup across the board.  So your commodity type items are usually not as competitively priced, but your more specialty type items that have a higher markup at grocery stores, are great deals at costco.   

There was a headline on of the news sites saying costco shoppers will be hit hard "HUGE INCREASE COMING...."  It is $5 on a regular membership.  Talk about being desperate to get people to click on a misleading link to generate traffic to your website.
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • Skiddymarker
    edited March 2017
    Options
    jak7028 said:
    There was a headline on of the news sites saying costco shoppers will be hit hard "HUGE INCREASE COMING...."  It is $5 on a regular membership.  Talk about being desperate to get people to click on a misleading link to generate traffic to your website.
    On one hand I can understand the media click bait, a just under 10% increase is pretty substantial in the retail world. On the other hand when you consider it is the first adjustment in over 6 or 7 years, suddenly it does not seem so bad. It would be interesting to know if the news coverage you saw/note covered the full topic. 
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    To be clear, I was asking about a refund of the difference between regular membership and executive membership if you don't make that back with the check. I know that Costco will refund membership cost at any time if you cancel - the executive differential refund is what wasn't clear. Thanks!
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Understood completely, thanks for the clarification....