Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fair Price For a Used Large BGE

Options
GregW
GregW Posts: 2,677
edited March 2017 in Off Topic
I'm thinking about selling one of my large eggs. It's it pretty good condition with the exception of a cracked fire box. I also plan on including a plate setter and a cast iron grid.
I have a new Cookshack FEC-120 coming on deck tomorrow, and freeing up some space would be helpful. 
What is a fair price for the egg? maybe $325?

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I would say that is fair and you shouldn't have a problem moving it.  Can you warranty the firebox or are you not the original owner. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • GregW
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    I would say that is fair and you shouldn't have a problem moving it.  Can you warranty the firebox or are you not the original owner. 
    I'm the original buyer, however that was a long time ago and I don't have any paperwork, I've heard that a receipt is needed for warranty now.
    Is this true?

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Egg only or in a nest or table?  $325 would be more than "fair" imo. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • GregW
    Options
    Egg only or in a nest or table?  $325 would be more than "fair" imo. 
    I have a table, but I'm going to keep it for my remaining egg.
    I have a friend who know a guy looking for an egg. Hopefully it will go to a new home soon. It has served me well over the years.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I bet you could get 450
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    As above- you have effectively offered it here for a very low-ball figure.  If no one here jumps then I would go to $500 on CL-be ready to drop the price and see what happens.  Conventional wisdom is no more than 50% of new for used w/o the warranty and you are there with the options.  
    Dang-your new acquisition is quite a piece of cook-ware.  Congrats on the rig and best of luck.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    The warranty depends on your dealer. I have purchased oneness and one off of craigslist. My dealer has never asked me for a receipt but a picture of the broken item, then replaced. In a week or two. I'd certainly try the warranty route. Good luck. 
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    That price is very fair and I would buy it if it was close to me.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm interested. Where are you located?
    Looking for one to give SIL.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    I paid $375 for mine with no acc. They were asking $425.
  • GregW
    Options
    Hotch said:
    I'm near Birmingham AL.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    50% of new without warranty, with a cracked fire box and couple of accessories, worth maybe $50 tops, $325 is a fair price. Don't take less and in todays world you have to ask $450 or so and then let the buyer feel they beat you down to $325. 
    Good luck on the sale - the LBGE is still the most popular, I think. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

That'd go for over 600 in my neck of the woods - even with the broken fire ring.

Phoenix 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    How close to Birmingham?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    GregW said:
    Hotch said:
    I'm near Birmingham AL.

A bit far for me!!!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    If you are the original owner I would definitely reach out to your dealer or the mothership to get the firebox replaced under warranty.  I have heard people have had success without a receipt. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Medium in Nashville (with stand) just sold for 400 on CL (I just missed out on that)... hmmm another large... any thoughts on a meetup trip 1/2 way between Nashville and B'Ham?
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• GregW
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    How close to Birmingham?
    Moody. About 25 minutes east on I-20
  • GregW
    Options
    If you are the original owner I would definitely reach out to your dealer or the mothership to get the firebox replaced under warranty.  I have heard people have had success without a receipt. 
    Honestly, the dealer replaced the bottom of the egg years ago. He never asked for a receipt.
    What is the policy on fireboxes? mine has a large crack around and 1/8 inch wide, but it is still in serviceable condition. Do they replace them if they are only cracked, but not falling apart? 
  • GregW
    Options
    Medium in Nashville (with stand) just sold for 400 on CL (I just missed out on that)... hmmm another large... any thoughts on a meetup trip 1/2 way between Nashville and B'Ham?
    That would probably be a little far to bring an egg. Honestly, when I asked about what I should ask for the egg, I wasn't trying to make a sale on the forum. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    GregW said:
    Honestly, the dealer replaced the bottom of the egg years ago. He never asked for a receipt.
    What is the policy on fireboxes? mine has a large crack around and 1/8 inch wide, but it is still in serviceable condition. Do they replace them if they are only cracked, but not falling apart? 
    It will be covered 100%. Crack is a crack when it comes to ceramic. You're good for a warranty claim 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Double Post 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    GregW said:
    Yes, cracked through gets a replacement.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • GregW
    Options

It will be covered 100%. Crack is a crack when it comes to ceramic. You're good for a warranty claim 
    Thank you for this information. I will get with the dealer this week.
  • GregW
    Options
    The egg sold in as is condition for $300 and the guy seemed to be pleased with his purchase.
    He drove away with the egg strapped in the front seat of a new bright red 2017 Infinity G37 coupe. It was quiet the sight. He was smiling and I was too.