Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tampa BBQ Fundraiser (Pic Heavy)

This past weekend I flew to Tampa to help a friend of mine with a fundraiser for the YMCA.  It was held at his house on the front lawn and on the meat menu was a 50 pound pig, 6 pork butts totaling 50 pounds, 4 briskets totaling 40 pounds, 20 pounds of wings, 5 pounds of sausage, an 11 pound @Eggcelsior Baltimore pit beef, 12 racks of St Louis ribs and 100 bacon wrapped jalapenos.  @thetrim stopped by on Friday to help us with the prepping of the jalapenos.  Unfortunately he had his son's Confirmation on Saturday so he couldn't attend, nor partake in all the good eats, but gave a very nice donation.  Thanks Steve.  There were tons of sides, beans, cole slaw, potato salad, mac and cheese ect but we were in charge of the meat.  We had a Shirley type smoker, a yoder, and a large egg at our disposal.  Most of the costs were covered by various individuals/companies so everything we took in at the door was profit.  His goal was $5,000 and as of Sunday morning, we were at $4,500.  All the food turned out pretty good.  The brisket was a tad dry but the burnt ends and the ribs were the bomb.  For all the inquiring minds out there the toothpicks on the brisket represented the different rubs we used.  Unfortunately it was too hectic to compare and contrast.  Below are some pics.
South Buffalo, New York

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Wow. That looks like a blast. Great work and great post. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Brother Moose, for you kindness and generosity, as well as an outstanding job, I'm proud to give this the Double Seal of Approval my brother. 

You are a good man brother Moose. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    SGH said:
    Brother Moose, for you kindness and generosity, as well as an outstanding job, I'm proud to give this the Double Seal of Approval my brother. 

You are a good man brother Moose. 
    This deserves a double-double seal of approval!  Great work brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • @Foghorn Thank you.  Yes it was a blast and the bourbon tasted extra good when I switched from beer at 7:00pm. 
    South Buffalo, New York
  • I like the toothpick idea. At what temperature do the toothpicks burn or burst into flames?
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• @SGH thank you for your kind words. I have reached the pinnacle of the forum with the double seal.  I am very humbled. 
    South Buffalo, New York
  • @bgebrent thank you.  I was certainly doing doubles of bourbon that night.  
    South Buffalo, New York
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Great effort and results right there.  Congrats on the entire fund raiser.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Thanks @SaintJohnsEgger and @lousubcap .  We were at 230-270 and they were fine. When we wrapped after 8 hours or so we just laid the toothpicks on the flat. 
    South Buffalo, New York
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    @SGH thank you for your kind words. I have reached the pinnacle of the forum with the double seal.  I am very humbled. 

You are now eligible to attend the Double Seal of Approval Club meetings.  I'll PM you the details.  Bring a screenshot of this thread for entry.  You will learn the secret handshake after the induction ceremony.  I recommend you rehearse the phrase "Thank you, sir, may I have another".

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Awesome job! Great pics !  It was great seeing you and Mike on Friday and discussing your progress on Saturday!!!!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • @Foghorn I have my bags packed and have been practicing the phrase.  Just in case I have written it on an index card so I won't forget. 

@thetrim great seeing you too.  Hopefully we can hook up again April. 
    South Buffalo, New York