Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vacation recommendations OT

Options
The wife has decided no Caribbean this year like we wanted to do because of Zika........... I'm looking at going somewhere out West. Like the mountains. Looking for something that's more of a lodge with a nice view to relax. Any body been out there and have a place they recommend or lodging? Not really wanting to break the bank maybe $350 a night ish.
Dyersburg, TN

Comments

• wbradking
    wbradking Posts: 351
    edited February 2017
    Options
    My wife and I spent our 20th in Telluride, CO two summers ago.  It's a great little town, easy access to some hikes and is just beautiful.  We stayed at the Hotel Columbia and I would highly recommend it.
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Look into Telluride Colorado. I was there in 2000. This time of the year there is great skiing and in the summer great hiking and mountain biking.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Oh I forgot there is a lodge at the top of the ski lift.
  • Braggart
    Braggart Posts: 238
    Options
    Canada.  Take your $350 and turn it into $460 just...like...that.

Lots of beautiful places in and around Banff/Jasper.   Plus the parks are free this year (150 year anniversary).

Lots to do, lots to see.
    Large BGE
    MMax BGE
    Weber gasser
    3 Dogs
    No neighbours 
    Living in Canada's bush
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Estes Park, Colorado... TONS of cabins to rent for $150-$300 a night. If you want to get fancy you can stay in the Stanley hotel where Stephen king wrote the shining. Those rooms run about 300. I prefer the cabin scene though.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Very unique experience and in $CDN=$0.75US.....
    http://freespiritspheres.com/
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Givengold3
    Options
    Sisters Oregon.  We like Black Butte Ranch.  All kinds of houses to rent.  Sun River is pricier and more developed, but popular as well.  
    Concord, CA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    leemschu said:
    The wife has decided no Caribbean this year like we wanted to do because of Zika........... I'm looking at going somewhere out West. Like the mountains. Looking for something that's more of a lodge with a nice view to relax. Any body been out there and have a place they recommend or lodging? Not really wanting to break the bank maybe $350 a night ish.
    Napa Valley. Specifically The Cottages of Napa Valley. Book now. Great wine tours, great restaurants, plenty of things to do. Drive the California Coast, Redwoods, San Francisco, Yosemite, hiking, backpacking, summit some mountains, beautiful area. Do as much as you want or as little. The wine Chateaus usually have events, i.e., musical performances, celebrity chef BBQs, Lectures from global celebs, art shows, etc.
    If you enjoy wine, great food, spectacular beauty, and interesting, life impacting events, there is no place, anywhere that offers as much. Depending on when you go, you can ski in the early morning, then hit the beaches in the evening. Tour lighthouses along the coast, catch dinner with an ocean view, anywhere along the coast, or do as My Beautiful Wife and I, go to the Oakville Grocery, have them prepare a gourmet picnic with wine for the both of you, find a secluded spot on the beach, and enjoy the sunsets.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    Braggart said:
    Canada.  Take your $350 and turn it into $460 just...like...that.

Lots of beautiful places in and around Banff/Jasper.   Plus the parks are free this year (150 year anniversary).

Lots to do, lots to see.
    This. You won't find a more stunning area in North America. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    We really like Aspen and have stayed at The Gant about 5 times. Within walking distance to everything in Aspen. Great walking trails all over town. 
    You can spend a lot but we don't. 
    If somthing you are interested in drop me a note.
    mjrawls@me.com

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Banff is AWESOME!!  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    The Oregon coast is on my to do list someday.
  • the_crease
    Options
    Bryce Canyon, Yosemite, Yellowstone,  or Zion National Parks would be my pick.  Then again, at a budget of tree fiddy a night, your options are endless.  Baller. 
  • BizGreenEgg
    Options
    Sisters Oregon.  We like Black Butte Ranch.  All kinds of houses to rent.  Sun River is pricier and more developed, but popular as well.  
    Just spent last weekend at Sunriver.  Neat little village.  I would recommend heading into Bend and checking out the Ale Trial if you stay at either place.  A lot of good breweries.
    Hntnhrd said:
    Let me know if you need any recommendations for that trip.  We have a cabin near Waldport and I've been up and down most of the coast.

We're heading to McMenamins EdgeField property this weekend in the Gorge.  One of my favorite places.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Some nice options listed. I think SF bay area and Napa are real gems, but they can be pricey. We really enjoyed time at Custer State park. Plenty to take in, beautiful area. Enjoy whichever place you decide. 
  • leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    Canada is looking pretty nice! Thanks for all the suggestions. I have plenty of ideas for the next few big trips now!
    Dyersburg, TN
  • PlanSB
    PlanSB Posts: 90
    Options
     Hntnhrd said:

Oregon coast is great, I got engaged at canon beach (made famous by the goonies and point break) :)

I would recommend Sedona, AZ as a must visit too (and flagstaff and Grand Canyon while you are in the area).

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    Rafting on the Rogue River in Oregon - 3 day trip, staying in wilderness lodges.  We did it last summer and it was a blast!!  Paradise Lodge is incredible.  With all the water they have now it should be excellent all summer.  We used Morrison's - http://www.wildrogue.com/ .  Combine with a trip to Bend.  Enjoy!!
    Santa Paula, CA
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    Lots of great national park options out west that offer spectacular scenery, but "nice" lodging is harder to come by at some of them.  Some of my favorites include Rocky Mountain National Park (Estes Park, CO); Yosemite and Redwoods in CA; Crater Lake in OR.  In addition to the normal hotel websites, think about looking for home rentals on VRBO and homeaway.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Banff is AWESOME!!  
    Yes but Jasper is even better
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    A PCH road trip is great too.