Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: How does someone from Texas explain getting a D in Meat?

Options
Asking for a friend who'll be in an important meeting today.  If convincing answers could be provided sometime before 9 or so, that would be helpful.  I think my friend will need some time to understand them.

I'm not from TX and didn't attend Texas A&M.  This might legit be a really hard class!  But it kind of sounds like someone from NH getting a D in Outdoor Recreation at UNH.  It happens, even to really smart people, sure, but maybe don't ask those kind of folks to be in charge of the nation's nuclear arsenal, yanno?  Just a thought.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

Just a guess, he probably didn't study.  Specifically, meat's scientific names-  Ribeye Cap = Spinalis Dorsi, etc.

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    A "D" in meat, at Texas A&M, means somebody failed the midterms on how to distinguish the difference of spam and bologna. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    A "D" in meat, at Texas A&M, means somebody failed the midterms on how to distinguish the difference of spam and bologna. 
    I agree, A&M isn't that difficult of a school.  
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    You've got friends in high places.  No doubt the meat class was not taken seriously at the time, kinda like the approach to the DOE of a few campaigns ago.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options

Was not aware Texas A&M was a real school. I thought it was just a front for alcoholic athletes to play football, a Marine Biology outreach program in Galveston for rich kids to hide from their parents claiming to go to College and the more popular “Aggie Jokes” to keep up with Ole and Sven in the North.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    either thats one hell of a lucky guess or you've been paying attention =) nuclear engineer flunkout, straight A's canoeing, flyfishing, and swimming.  canoeing and flyfishing were 2 credit classes =) and yes im from nh,  i would have really hated being a nuke engineer anyways B)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    and for your answer, texas is full of steers and .... =)  i guess i cant say that til donalds in charge but thats the only explanation i can come up with ;)
    fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    edited January 2017
    Options
    either thats one hell of a lucky guess or you've been paying attention =) nuclear engineer flunkout, straight A's canoeing, flyfishing, and swimming.  canoeing and flyfishing were 2 credit classes =) and yes im from nh,  i would have really hated being a nuke engineer anyways B)
    Not a lucky guess really:

https://www.unh.edu/honors-program/john-dolbow-class-1995

https://www.krellinst.org/csgf/alumni/profile?n=dolbow1997

BTW, UNH does not have a nuclear engineering program ;)
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    You've got friends in high places.  No doubt the meat class was not taken seriously at the time, kinda like the approach to the DOE of a few campaigns ago.  
    What approach to the DOE are you talking about?  
  • fishlessman
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Not a lucky guess really:

https://www.unh.edu/honors-program/john-dolbow-class-1995

https://www.krellinst.org/csgf/alumni/profile?n=dolbow1997

BTW, UNH does not have a nuclear engineering program ;)
    nh students get instate rates in mass if the program is not available in nh.  university of lowell has a nuke plant. for 710 dollars a semester i could drink supermugs of bud and then go play in a nuke plant =) thank you mr reagan.

polly should have gone to unh to start but got my me at lowell
    fukahwee maine

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Geez people. One is round and the other is rectangular. See - I paid attention.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

Was not aware Texas A&M was a real school. I thought it was just a front for alcoholic athletes to play football, a Marine Biology outreach program in Galveston for rich kids to hide from their parents claiming to go to College and the more popular “Aggie Jokes” to keep up with Ole and Sven in the North.

It's not. See @RedSkip response. You just send in money and they print diplomas. The D was probably because the check bounced.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    I gotta pretend to work now. Y'all have fun. :)
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina said:
    What approach to the DOE are you talking about?  
    You could say both...The "I want to get rid of it" and the " I can't remember the third one...".  With that level of commitment a D in a class should not be surprising.  And the show is underway now...

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    They obviously didn't have classes on how to keep an MM clean at UNH...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I took some upper level chemistry and math classes at A&M one summer.  Compared with what I was used to, the classroom classes were easy.  The labs were hell.

No experience with the meat classes, but I'm sure, based on my lab experience, they were "hands on".

Options
    Rick Perry just now at his hearing:

"After being briefed on so many of the vital functions of the Department of Energy, I regret recommending its elimination." 

Hilarious.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    Options
    "oops"
    Options
    I think he confused the Dept of Energy with the Dept of the Interior.  "Wut?!  I don't get to work wif da oil companies?!"
    Options
    HeavyG said:

"After being briefed on so many of the vital functions of the Department of Energy, I regret recommending its elimination." 

Hilarious.

What a tool.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • fishlessman
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Hilarious.

i thought he said that about 6 years ago, you reading old posts =)
    fukahwee maine

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Maybe this will help shed some light - NCAA Power rankings for meat judging (yes, apparently this is a thing).  OSU and TT have dominated.  A&M is a little further down that list.

http://www.livestockjudging.com/Directory/senior_collegiate_power_rankings.aspx

This hasn't been updated with 2016 rankings, but OSU won the national championship again in 2016, so that won't change.

Funniest comment I saw on a site about this: 

And people wonder why the Big12 won't expand.

Why would they? We already have Meat Judging and Rifle dynasties.

You want a conference invite? How about not being a scrub school who doesn't know **** about meat or guns... smdh

This is AMERICA

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Hilarious.

You mean you weren't watching him live on CSPAN this AM? 
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Legume said:
    Maybe this will help shed some light - NCAA Power rankings for meat judging (yes, apparently this is a thing).  OSU and TT have dominated.  A&M is a little further down that list.

http://www.livestockjudging.com/Directory/senior_collegiate_power_rankings.aspx

This hasn't been updated with 2016 rankings, but OSU won the national championship again in 2016, so that won't change.

Funniest comment I saw on a site about this: 

And people wonder why the Big12 won't expand.

Why would they? We already have Meat Judging and Rifle dynasties.

You want a conference invite? How about not being a scrub school who doesn't know **** about meat or guns... smdh

This is AMERICA

Man you guys in Texas sure do know how to judge another man's meat...
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:

Hilarious.

D'oh!!!
  • fishlessman
    edited January 2017
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:

Hilarious.

i stopped watching the fake news after the election

try fox news =) you might learn things. pay attention to the "REGRET" part, its really important to learn to read these kinds of words and understand what they represent in full context

Trump's Energy Pick Perry Regrets Calling for Department's Elimination

Published January 19, 2017 Politics Reuters

Rick Perry FBN

(Reuters)

Rick Perry, President-elect Donald Trump's pick to run the Energy Department, said during his Senate confirmation hearing on Thursday that he regrets having called for the department's elimination during his failed bid for the Republican presidential nomination in 2012.

"After being briefed on so many of the vital functions of the Department of Energy, I regret recommending its elimination," the former Texas governor said in his opening remarks to the Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources.

you are harping on old news

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:

Hilarious.

D'oh!!!
    D'oh!!!
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Like I said earlier, he also confused that department with the dept of the interior (as well as forgot the name).  Ooops.  Usually this position is someone with experience in nuclear matters, as this dept encompasses some of the most nuanced and complex technical issues we have to deal with. 

What could possibly go wrong?
    Options
    For the record, I am a major proponent of nuclear energy.  We need to plan to shut down the water cooled reactors and switch over to the generation IV technology.