Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - boring marital debate

Options
Hans61
Hans61 Posts: 3,901
The Mrs. and I had the below disagreement:

I had just started my sous vide cook before my mom came over to eat with us, when she arrived she had brought a food saver sealed frozen loaf of banana bread. (Nice of her right?) I was like, "throw it in the bath" to thaw it, my wife was opposed, saying, "you don't mix bread with raw meat."

We ended up microwaving, but the topic randomly came up the next day, and she told me to poll you guys, so who was right?
“There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
Coach Finstock Teen Wolf

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    How else are you going to get banana bread flavored meat?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Hans61
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    She does realize that both items were in sealed bags yes?
    Yeah, I told her that a few times :-) 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    For this to be a problem there would need to be two faults.  A leak in your meat bag and a leak in your bread bag.  Then the bacteria would have to survive  the journey through the hot water from one to the other.   I would have voted your way but would then be living on Lackanookie Island all week. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Is it safe to say she also doesn't care for you keeping live bait in your beer fridge?
    Stillwater, MN
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Even if there was not a good seal, the soggy bread would have been OK if the meat had been at 130F for as little as 45 min., assuming it was not ground meat, then maybe more like an hour.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    There is a difference between being right and survival.  I will trust your judgement here to make the correct call.  Venus and Mars for sure.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    The wife is ALWAYS right. Happy Wife = Happy Life!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    When you microwave, everyone loses. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    Also, I don't see dry aging meat anytime in your future. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    swmbo  =)
    canuckland
  • Hans61
    Options
    Also, I don't see dry aging meat anytime in your future. 
    She actually let me do that in the garage overflow fridge! 
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Options
    @DoubleEgger I posted in @JustineCaseyFeldown's pro tip thread :-)
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Couldn't you have just filled the sink with hot water and put the bread in there?  I can't see it taken that long to thaw that way and the wife can't be upset unless there was a small hole in the bag.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    I assume it was sealed but not vacuumed?  I saw some vac packed banana muffins. Did not go well. 
    So then you wouldn't entirely know if it was sealed or not if its not holding a vacuum?
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Hans61
    Options
    gmac said:
    I assume it was sealed but not vacuumed?  I saw some vac packed banana muffins. Did not go well. 
    So then you wouldn't entirely know if it was sealed or not if its not holding a vacuum?
    The bread was partially vacuumed and sealed. The meat was vac sealed completely 
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    As I understand matrimonial bliss....You have only two responses to make; "Yes", and the next is really tricky and only for seasoned pros; "Yes, dear". Say it like you mean it.
    You are welcome.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    If the bread stayed in with the meat for at least an hour or so then the water would be pasteurized, so even if both bags leaked it shouldn't get anyone sick. However, if it was only partially vacuumed then it would been a pita to keep the bread submerged anyway. I prolly would have just used the microwave.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    As a good friend reminded me recently, more often than not, the wife is usually right.

Even when she isn't.  ;)
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    my trick to heat up a tuna fish sandwich is to keep it under my armpit during the day.

putting it in a plastic bag would be even better i suppose.
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @Hans61

I had a similar disagreement with my wife yesterday...  I used a rolling pin to level out some ground chicken for a pizza crust i was trying out.  Between the pin and the chicken was a large layer of parchment paper.  

She snapped on me when i tossed the rolling pin back in the drawer after rolling it across the parchment paper, and the pin never touched the chicken.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    how did you get into this argument with the wife =) it was your mother that brought over frozen bread, who does that
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    The wife is ALWAYS right. Happy Wife = Happy Life!
    That was my answer, and I'm a career bachelor.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited January 2017
    Options
    You have heard the saying "Win the battle, Lose the War" haven't you?

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    You have heard the saying "Win the battle, Lose the War" haven't you?
    I like "pick your battles".  If you find yourself slipping into a bad situation, ask yourself "Is this the hill I'm willing to die on?"

This is the sum total of 25 years of marriage experience talking.
    Flint, Michigan
  • jeroldharter
    Options
    Obviously your wife is wrong and the correct answer is to agree with her.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    You sound like you haven't been married for long. Every married man knows that you can either be happy, or right. But not both.

You're also completely missing an opportunity to get another SV unit. " To do raw meat separately, dear."

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Hans61
    Options
    caliking said:
    You sound like you haven't been married for long. Every married man knows that you can either be happy, or right. But not both.

You're also completely missing an opportunity to get another SV unit. " To do raw meat separately, dear."
    8 years, remember it was her idea for me to post this..... she thought she was right and that I'd listen to you guys :-)
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Options
    I agree with what's been said thanks everyone!
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf