Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Draining Engine Oil vs Extracting Engine Oil

Options
2»

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Those quick drains are pretty popular on aviation piston engines.  With all the cowlings and compactness, it can is a major PIA trying to get the sump on some airplanes.  So a lot of people put those on the ones that you push up on and have a hose barb.  When they first came out, a lot of owners put them on Piper's with retractable gear--the nose wheel would come up shortly after takeoff, press on that drain, and a minute later all the oil drained out of the engine.  Low altitude with a 180 degree turn back to the airport, you can imagine how many pilots it killed before the word got out. 

The oil filter locations are even worse--especially since most were horizontally mounted.  I had a pretty neat tool for that......stainless steel hose clam with a hollow point on it.  Put it on the oil filter at the 12:00 position, crank it down to pierce the filter, unscrew the filter to the 6:00 position and let most of the oil drain out.  I could catch the few tablespoons much more easier than a cup of it.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    +1 on using an extractor. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    .....The oil filter locations are even worse--especially since most were horizontally mounted.  I had a pretty neat tool for that......stainless steel hose clam with a hollow point on it.  Put it on the oil filter at the 12:00 position, crank it down to pierce the filter, unscrew the filter to the 6:00 position and let most of the oil drain out.  I could catch the few tablespoons much more easier than a cup of it.
    Neater variation on the simple screwdriver through the filter solution! I've never got on with clamps / straps alone, so yours is nice with some positive engagement. Always try for a cup wrench if I can get one these days.
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    We use the Fumoto on 65 class 8 diesel engines in our operation. Never had a single issue with any of them. As far as warranty goes, if you use proper oil and filters and maintain receipts they can NOT deny warranty coverage. Check out the Mangusson-Moss Act for information on warranties.

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i have a 1964 volvo sitting in an old wooden boat, oil gets extracted every year, no other way to get it out. marine places have the extractors as well
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it