Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

30 lbs of jalapeño and white cheddar snack sticks

Options
2»

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I would love to do the meat sticks (that didn't come out like I thought it would ;) )

Anyway, I bought the collagen to give it a shot with some dried fermented sausage.  I always see dried sausages in collagen so I bought some.
    Options
    I would love to do the meat sticks (that didn't come out like I thought it would ;) )

Anyway, I bought the collagen to give it a shot with some dried fermented sausage.  I always see dried sausages in collagen so I bought some.
    Ive never done the fermented sausage thing. I'd love to see your sausage. Lol. 
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Those sticks just look unbelievable. Bravo!
    Stillwater, MN
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    Those sticks just look unbelievable. Bravo!

Thank you sir.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    nice.  Did you use the collagen casings?
    For the sticks? Yes. 

Why did you ask that?
    I make a lot of sausage but I've never tried the collagen.  I picked some up a week ago, just wondering how they worked.
    We used collagen for the brisket missiles we did the other day, which are pretty big diameter (~55 mm).  The texture seems like something that is intended to be peeled before eating, but they worked great.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    There are edible and non-edible collagen casings. Usually the larger collagen casings are the inedibles.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    There are edible and non-edible collagen casings. Usually the larger collagen casings are the inedibles.
    Technically they're all edible but the big, thick collagen casings, like for summer sausage, are usually removed before eating.  There are also plastic casings that are clearly not edible. They usually make those bright red.
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    Technically they're all edible but the big, thick collagen casings, like for summer sausage, are usually removed before eating.  There are also plastic casings that are clearly not edible. They usually make those bright red.

That is what I meant, just wasn't what I said.

http://www.lemproducts.com/casinginfo