Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime vs. Choice Brisket--thoughts?

I was at Costco a few weeks back and picked up a packer brisket. The Choice was $4.xx per pound and the Prime was $2.xx per pound. This didn't make sense to me so I asked the butcher (and I use that term loosely) who was walking past. He said that the Prime had a lot more fat so it was lower priced. (He also didn't know what I meant by the term 'packer' so I am not putting a lot of faith in him...)

I bought the prime and to be honest, this was my first packer of this size (about 18#). I trimmed it and it didn't seem like there was more fat than I had experienced before...I don't know. The marbling was beautiful on the end of the point I trimmed off. The meat turned out like buttah. 

Anyone have thoughts on this? Am I better off with a choice brisket? Would it yield more meat?
EggMcMcc
Central Illinois
First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,232
    Was the choice brisket flats? Sam's are more expensive per pound for the flats over the packers. Were prime and choice both packers?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    I believe they were. They were the same approximate size at least. I can certainly double check that...
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,729
    Nailed the price difference-the local Costco always has flats (choice) at north of $4-5/lb and packers (prime) around around $3/lb.  More labor cost in creating a flat.  Given the option, great call to grab the prime packer for many reasons including the quality of the cut.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,033
    Pretty much always go with the prime if it is available.  About the only exception to that is that some people prefer choice rib roasts as that cut is already so fatty. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 17,075
    Prime.
    Next?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • KYJeff
    KYJeff Posts: 31
    Good thread,  I've been wondering this myself.  I went with the prime and made pastrami with it and it turned out great.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    edited January 2017
    Good question indeed! If you can afford prime, you have a better chance of getting a little more fat marbling and thusly, a better mouthfeel at the end. We all love a little coating of melted fat on our tongues :)  A good thing to remember, though, is that the beef is graded by an inspection of the entire carcass and not each individual cut. So you can often find a choice brisket that has a "prime" amount of fat :) And it is not uncommon to see a prime brisket that has unimpressive marbling, and that a good "choice" would blow away. In the end, look for the gorgeous striations of fat throughout the flat. And the age, (if your butcher knows, or if you have access to the "kill date" on the case). The more aged, generally the more flexible it is (and tender, hehe) Man I love good brisket.

Happy brisketeering!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    prime everytime.  But shhhhh! Dont let costco find out....
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Thanks for the input all. I was having a hard time wrapping my head around it but it makes sense if the Choice cuts are just flats and trimmed up. I'll go with the prime ever time. I can handle a little trimming and prefer the full packer.
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    My Kroeger (QFC) angus has been better than any prime brisket I bought from Costco.
    Seattle, WA