Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Inspired by a filthy hippy.

SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
edited December 2016 in EggHead Forum
With a little nudge from a certain dirty hippy, I thought what the heck. 

@nolaegghead Now get over here and show me how to use this thing. I can't seem to find where the lump and wood goes in it  =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited December 2016
    Remember, lube up to the line only.  Things could get hairy, if you cross it. =)

You don't want to be "that dude", in the ED.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    it might involve hippy solar panels
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SGH
    edited December 2016
    Fellows I know nothing about Sous Vide. Is this a pretty decent one? It was on sale for 99.99 so I thought what the heck. 

Edited for price correction.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    thats the one i have, as easy as setting it to c or f and turning the dial to temp. did big 32 oz ribeyes this weekend with it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Focker
    SGH said:
    Fellows I know nothing about Sous Vide. Is this a pretty decent one? It was on sale for 79.99 so I thought what the heck. 
    That's a great deal bud.  I think I paid $110 each, on kickstarter, for an early bird special for two units when they first dropped.

No issues with either of mine.  Temp is slightly low on one, like half of a degree.  Precise enough for me.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• SGH
    Focker said:
    SGH said:
    Fellows I know nothing about Sous Vide. Is this a pretty decent one? It was on sale for 79.99 so I thought what the heck. 
    That's a great deal bud.  I think I paid $110 each, on kickstarter, for an early bird special for two units when they first dropped.

My apologies. The above was a typo. This was actually 99.99. But still not to bad. 

Status- Standing by.

• Focker
    SGH said:
    Focker said:
    SGH said:

My apologies. The above was a typo. This was actually 99.99. But still not to bad. 
    No worries.
    Still, a great deal IMO.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• I keep wanting to take the plunge and buy a SV but I never do. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • I keep wanting to take the plunge and buy a SV but I never do. 

Ditto.

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    What's this world coming to when a redneck dabbles in sous vide?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Great SV, a couple of my friends have this one and it's been great! 
    - Garrick
    SoCal Egger
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Scottie, which hot tub is getting the upgrade?

• JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Question about this cooking method.
    How do you know when the food is done? By time alone?
    If so, what guides are available?
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    I love the Anova.  I can see some Sous Vide (insert and food item here) In the Style of Dixie?  Have fun with that Scottie.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Congrats SGH. Cant wait to see all the good stuff you will be bringing to the table. 
    Proceed on to Chef Steps. They have tables you can download and print for chicken/pork/beef and time and F*. I printed those out at least to start with and they are good. 
    Also, Anova and chef Steps have a lot of recipes for SV cooking on their site.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    I always think of a SV device as an aquarium heater on steroids. If you decide you love it and your big units get rusty just holler at me, I'll store one of them and keep it running for you.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    FYI, it won't get oil hot enough to fry. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Scottie where did you order from?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SGH
    Chubbs said:
    Scottie where did you order from?
    Amazon Prime. 

Status- Standing by.

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Just received mine, two cooks in.  Fun learning something new..
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    SGH said:
    With a little nudge from a certain dirty hippy, I thought what the heck. 

@nolaegghead Now get over here and show me how to use this thing. I can't seem to find where the lump and wood goes in it  =)
    Scottie, you will love this!
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • piney
    Scottie read the ads.. this "unit" will have you cooking like a pro
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Interesting how they're packing them in a box now instead of the tube.  I still have the tube and use it when transporting.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • piney
    Mine is in a box. I've had it a couple years.

Lenoir, N.C.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Mine came in a tube.  This will be Scottie's smallest unit.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • piney
    bgebrent said:
    Mine came in a tube.  This will be Scottie's smallest unit.
    Well, mine came in a box about 15x8 in now, if y'alls "units" fit in a tube, and will most likely be delivered by US Postal Service... I guess me and ole SGH have got something on you! YeeHaw YeeHaw!
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Mine came in a box and I plugged it in, put it in a cooler of water where it worked for about 15 minutes before failing. 

I took it apart to see what made it tick.  It's back in that box, waiting for me to throw away or try to fix.

I love my Polyscience Professional.  It's serviceable, commercial duty.  And the Sous vide demi gets a lot of use.

One bad unit doesn't make them all a bad buy, but I wasn't that impressed with the innards. 

That said, plenty of these have been sold and they generally work great, or so I hear. 
    Well obviously it's useless without wifi.
    NOLA
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    Bout time!  I think it's a niche device. For my tastes, it's useless on beef unless it's a reheat. I love veggies, pork and white meat chicken out of it though. Especially veggies. It's great for melting chocolate and lots of random tasks. I have found lots of ways to use it as a regular part of my cooking routine. I had one of those but broke it on it's 2nd use (fell into the cooler). I have a sous vide supreme which is huge but works great.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Does the wifi work under water?  Maybe I could use one as an aquarium heater.