Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

First Prime Rib EVER

kdatriokdatrio Posts: 22
Just wanted to thank everyone on here for all the help. Here is my first prime rib ever. The wife was extremely pleased and this is now a family favorite. The wife has also "given" me her Mom's old roasting pan and it fits perfectly inside the egg.
##############################################################
"I guess I have drank the kool-aid, hmmmm I bet kool-aid would taste good on the BGE"

1 - LBGE, 1 - "almost" retired gas grill
Post office says Alexander, AR - but really in Avilla, AR

Comments

• That looks tasty... my mouth is watering. 

Strongsville, OH

• Looks awesome!
    - Garrick
    SoCal Egger
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 6,899
    Outstanding.  And welcome aboard.

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 18,282
    Great cook right there.  Congrats and welcome aboard.  
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
  • Hans61Hans61 Posts: 3,553
    Welcome. Before you know it you'll be dry aging one in your garage beer fridge! 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Looks awesome 
  • Welcome!!!  Wow that is spot on!!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Lovely! Tell us how you cooked that, in detail. I have a 2-1/2-lb. one in the freezer and I don't want to screw it up.
    Judy in San Diego
  • I did the Alton Brown "dry age" process for 3 days in the refrigerator with it wrapped in paper towels. I then put the platesetter in legs up and got the fire up to 325. I rubbed the prime rib with a mix of kosher salt, black pepper, Cavenders, and garlic powder. On the Egg until 15 degrees below what I was wanting. Then removed it wrapped it in foil and got the Egg up to 550. Then I sear it for 1 minute on three sides (really just two but one side was a little angled so I did it twice. Then all was like you see. Let it rest about 20 minutes.

Leftovers were put in the oven wrapped in foil with butter for about 30 minutes at 350 and they were pretty good too.

Thanks for all the compliments
    ##############################################################
    "I guess I have drank the kool-aid, hmmmm I bet kool-aid would taste good on the BGE"

• @kdatrio: What was the the temperature (15° below target) that you pulled it at?
    Judy in San Diego
  • Looks perfect. 
    Snellville, GA

• bhedges1987bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Oh yeah man. I would eat that. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• ##############################################################

• SGHSGH Posts: 25,471
    Way to come out of the gate firing both barrels. Excellent job my friend. I proudly give this cook the SGH SOP.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

Arsenal-Just a small wore out and broken down Weber kettle. No other means to cook at all.
    Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit
    The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 
  • jtcBoyntonjtcBoynton Posts: 2,260
    kdatrio said:
    I followed the link - couldn't tell which of the charts that were on the page that you used.  Some of them are good and some are full of info that will lead to unsatisfactory results.

Your results look great.  I have had enough turkey for a while - looking forward to having some BEEF!
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• No need for the paper towels. Fwiw

three days gives you a nice surface for browning. You won't get any aging really, but some beneficial water loss

good stuff. 
    But seriously, skip the towels. Potential problems with that. I think alton's tv episode never had them. If the foodtv.com recipe/method now includes them, something is strange