Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A New Twist on the Traditional Turkey

Options
Happy Thanksgiving to all,

Monday I started my epic journey to try something new. No not Tofoken...lol. I came up with an idea to brine my turkey Cajun style. I know this is done to death , but I did it my way. So I took it out the brine today and rinsed it off. I could have eaten it like that it smelled so good. BTW I brined the neck and innards also. WTH could it hurt. I dried it off inside and out . I proceeded to inject it with creole butter and a touch of Lea and Perrins. I melted a stick of butter and added some Tony's and Ms Dash . I lathered it on and seasoned in inside also. I had the egg dialed in at 300f using Hickory chunks soaked in red wine. My drip pan consisted of a stick a butter ,crab boil, the innards, and water. I plan to smoke it till it's half way cooked. Then it will take it off, then batter it like fried chicken . Then I will fry it in peanut oil till its done at 340f. I plan to eat the whole 20# bird. Lol.  

Thoughts and and comments welcome , yes I patented this idea......jk
"One Job at a Time, One Day at a Time" 
" Stop and smell the Roses " Life is too Short

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Sounds awesome.  Get some pics for us.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• jstewart12a
    Options
    A smoked and fried turkey?! My mind is blown.  :o
    1 LBGE. Winder, GA
  • CDPlaya
    Options
    Well all did not go as planned. My turkey cooked faster than I expected. The temperature gauge stuck into the turkey . This caused an inaccurate reading. Had I peeked at some point and time I my have discovered it. But peeking goes against my principles . I have a dual probe thermometer,but I was to lazy to set it up.

Lessons learned, i will try it again real soon. 

( How do I know it was in the turkey? It ripped the skin off the breast when I opened the lid)
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    edited November 2016
    Options
    My 20 lb turkey was done in 2 1/2 at 350 on the egg. I think that the egg cooks faster than a traditional oven and I also brined my bird. I have read that brining reduces the cook time as well. Sorry about your bird!!! Is the Chinese place open?
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Ouch! Assume you mean the dome thermo, if you haven't done so, take the clip off the back of the thermo and throw it away or hoard in a drawer somewhere. When you close the dome, the thermo will move, letting you know the clearance. Also, you can spin the thermo and many of us put the target dome temp at the 12:00 o'clock position. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • CDPlaya
    Options
    Thanks for all comments. I learned several new tricks to the egg. I hope someone writes a book one day.
  • CDPlaya
    Options
    MaC122 said:
    My 20 lb turkey was done in 2 1/2 at 350 on the egg. I think that the egg cooks faster than a traditional oven and I also brined my bird. I have read that brining reduces the cook time as well. Sorry about your bird!!! Is the Chinese place open?
    Yes we had Hibatchi.  Lol.  The turkey was really good, I don't think you can ruin turkey unless you burn or under cook it.