Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Great Salado Wing Off

2»

Comments

• I appreciate the nod @Foghorn. I will attempt to make the competition fair and fun for everyone even though we all know I will be taking home the fabled trophy. In the spirit of competition I will forgo my usual Tofu treat and opt in actual "chicken". Should be no problem tossing a bag of frozen wings in the ol nuker if I use the "popcorn" setting right?

Oh and possibly a chunk of wood (got some pressure treated 2x4) for that "smoky' flavor you guys go on and on about.

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    @20stone you've been accused of lots more.  I have accused you of horrible singing. I can't even listen to Hall and Oates anymore without having night terrors . I CAN'T GO FOR THAT! 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,014
    20stone, are you bringing your donkey friend from the pig farm to be one of the "judges"?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,801
    The donkey is a thread-killer. Don't go there. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    The trophy has been ordered.

Get your games together, people.  We need to find a champion
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,693
    I will play only if I have time to cook my wings.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). 

• caliking
    edited January 2017
    Was just pondering this earlier today as I was honing my recipe and technique (in my head) to gain that razor sharp edge. 

May have a slight problem if @Foghorn actually shows up ... Provided he can steal some time away from Hawaii, skiing , and goofing off in general. 

• Tried the Popcorn setting with real "Chicken" (trial before the competition) after a few days in the hospital/bathroom I have decided that grilling might work, one question: do you think that using black radial interstate wood would over smoke the chicken? I'm new to this archaic way of cooking food over fire so I hope for some pointers.  

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.

• 20stone
    do you think that using black radial interstate wood would over smoke the chicken? I'm new to this archaic way of cooking food over fire so I hope for some pointers.  
    That type of "gator wood" can be an excellent choice, particularly if you are opting for "assertive" levels of spice.  The additional lingual vulcanization can modulate the excessive capsicum levels, and provide some additional "tooth" to the wing.

As a bonus, nylon and steel radial threads provide flossing on demand, eliminating an unwanted hygiene step for our volunteer judges. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Foghorn
    I wish I had been skiing and goofing off. (I'm not denying Hawaii).  It looks like I'm clear to make it to Salado. I won't have half of my team (my son) but I'm working on some standins from the bench so I have no excuses. 

I still think that while @caliking may be the favorite, @PirateBill is a sleeper candidate who is just trying to throw us off with his comments. It's not working. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• 20stone
    Three things regarding the Great Salado Wing Off:
    • Game time is 9 PM on Friday night
    • I have an engraved trophy in my possession for the winner
    • I will be picking a couple (noncompeting) judges.  Track me dowm if you are interested (not generally hard to find)

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Foghorn
    I'm in. Bought my wings yesterday at Costco. 

Rub is arriving this evening from New Orleans. 

How many should I plan on cooking?

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Who's bringing the tissues for @caliking when he loses?

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    I'll only need tissues  if they spell my  name incorrectly on the trophy.

• Foghorn
    caliking said:
    I'll only need tissues  if they spell my  name incorrectly on the trophy participation ribbon.

FTFY

San Antonio, TX

• 20stone
    Foghorn said:
    I'm in. Bought my wings yesterday at Costco. 

Rub is arriving this evening from New Orleans. 

How many should I plan on cooking?
    In the IT bidness they would say "RTFM".

The Contest calls for 24 bites, with the drumstick and forearm parts split for tasting.  But cook as much as you like. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Foghorn
    edited March 2017
    I have about 80 wings rubbed. That should be enough. If I don't get to all of them Friday night I may cook some Saturday during the fest or at the after party. 

And about twice as much Belgian beer as last year. I'm still counting on some beer bonus points as I am anticipating a close contest with a bunch of great wings. 

San Antonio, TX