Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buying an LBGE in the next few days. Need advice

Options

Comments

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Any suggestions of what to put under the Egg stand or on top of the table to prevent heat damage from the hot pieces?

Will a standard large paving stone work under the Egg and a large pice of flooring tile work for the table top?
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Any suggestions of what to put under the Egg stand or on top of the table to prevent heat damage from the hot pieces?

Will a standard large paving stone work under the Egg and a large pice of flooring tile work for the table top?
    buy a table nest from BGE
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    edited October 2016
    Options

Should work just fine. Be mindful of what you get for the top So it doesn't scratch it to heck and back. Either smooth on both sides or put little rubber stick ons the bottom. Go big if you have the room. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options

I'm getting the table nest. But can it sit on the wood? Os should it also have a paving tile?
    MiniMax 04/17

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options

I'm getting the table nest. But can it sit on the wood? Os should it also have a paving tile?
    The table nest can sit on the wood. This is a much safer scenario than putting it on a paving stone. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • BilZol
    Options

There's still a lot of heat outinder the nest. It's necessary. If my table were wood and not metal I would use a paver or granite under the nest. That's just me though. I was so worried about it I went all metal. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    BilZol said:

There's still a lot of heat outinder the nest. It's necessary. If my table were wood and not metal I would use a paver or granite under the nest. That's just me though. I was so worried about it I went all metal. 
    IMO, all the paver does is provide a place to store the heat and transfer it to the wood. You cannot see whats going on under the stone. I would go with the nest only.
  • BilZol
    edited October 2016
    Options
    BilZol said:

IMO, all the paver does is provide a place to store the heat and transfer it to the wood. You cannot see whats going on under the stone. I would go with the nest only.
    And that's why I stayed conflicted and went all metal. Almost like the chicken and egg question. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    YukonRon said:
    Disposable aluminum pans
    Aluminum Foil
    Platesetter
    Thermapen
    Thermal protective gloves
    Disposable kitchen gloves
    Tongs
    Spatula
    Peel (handling pizza and large pieces of meat like butts and roasts)
    KAB
    Good lump.
    Igniter source

That's all I got. I know I left tons off, like deep freezer, food saver, night light, bigger deep freezer, second fridge, third fridge, aprons, coolers, towels, butcher paper, remodeled kitchen, patio redesign, new patio furniture, patio lights, outdoor audio, out door kitchen and bar, stools for outdoor bar, fire pit, chairs for fire pit. Cushions for fire pit chairs, out door lighting for evening cooking, cleaning equipment for BGE, second BGE, third BGE, bigger patio, lump storage bins, trash cans, larger trash cans, ash bucket, ash tools, smoke wood, several varieties, spice rubs, brining equipment, more storage space, landscaping, smoke wood storage bins, shelving for lump storage, covers for your eggs, temp controller, adapters for temp controllers, surge protector for outdoor electricity, and other items.....

That's spot on. And it starts with the wife saying, "Why don't you go ahead and get that BGE you've been wanting..." You list is pretty close to my flight path in the last 1 1/2 years.
    Sounds about right for my flight plan. I just need to remember that this is a 1 1/2 year journey and not try to do it all at once.
    Yes. Keep in mind some of us are giving answers that are a bit tounge-in-cheek. There has been a lot of good, serious answers given. When I bought my egg I got the plate setter and a pizza stone. I bought a PSwoo2 from CGS to hold the plate setter and raise the grid. I have no opinion regarding the difference between a plate setter and the adjustable rig from the CGS. I didn't know any better when I made my purchase - and what I have works for me.

I would consider those items mandatory from my POV. The thermapen is a game changer but it would make a swell holiday gift item.

All that other "stuff" has come along because my wife and I enjoy cooking outdoors AND we are at a point in our lives we wanted a gathering place outdoors for friends and family in the future.

Good luck with your purchase. You will enjoy the egg. Hang out here - this is a good group of folks.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    I agree on keeping the weber but i already have a CharBroil gasser an d she doesn't want 3 grills under the porch or by the pool. i may be fighting a loosing battle but I'm going to fight.

I figure I need to add some leather gloves and the ash tool. I already have a set of rubber grill gloves and fire starters. I also have an instant read thermometer along with 2 Maverick remote thermometers and an infraRed thermometer. i just purchased some CI to use and I already have tongs and spatulas etc.
    Congratulations on the new egg. that looks like a great setup.

It sounds like you have most of what you need to get started (an instant read thermometer and a good pair of gloves to handle the hot stuff). Rather than buying a plate setter, get a couple of firebricks and put them directly on the coals below the food for indirect cooking. Put the bricks on top of your grid and then put another grate on top of the bricks for raised direct. 

I humbly suggest that you cook for awhile, learn what and how you like to cook and discover what you really need, rather than spending money up front for things that you might need (I have a pile of those had-to-have items that I used once or twice)

We'll always be here to help you spend your money. Have fun with the new egg!

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    I had the fortune to win my LBGE in a contest and it came with an ash tool and a bag of BGE lump. I cooked with it a little while before finding this site (which has been most helpful!). I bought a platesetter pretty quick and while I don't regret it (because I use it a lot) I find myself wishing that I had held off. Would I go with a setup from the CGS? Maybe. To be honest I have not really investigated it too much because I am OK with my PS. 

I did buy a pizza stone and enjoy making pizzas on the BGE. 

I bought a Smokewear Cap and now I don't use it much.

I have thought about an Ash Basket but haven't pulled the trigger on it.

I like the FlameBoss 200 controller but I probably wont buy one (but I can put it on my Christmas list!). I already had a iGrill and an instant read pen (cant remember the name...). I haven't had issues controlling the temperature but the peace of mind combined with the wifi...(my iGrill only has bluetooth).

Kind of rambling, but my vote is to use the grill, read a lot here, and buy some things as you go along.
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,589
    Options
    Without re reading all the posts.... Did we cover a line of credit with Snake River Farms.. I don't think so...
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,851
    Options
    Without re reading all the posts.... Did we cover a line of credit with Snake River Farms.. I don't think so...

Good call.  Reservations for Brisket Camp and Butt Blast have also been omitted. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Foghorn said:

Good call.  Reservations for Brisket Camp and Butt Blast have also been omitted. 
    I thought as a new Egg owner my first Brisket Camp and Butt Blast were free.
    Someone must have lied to me.  =)
    MiniMax 04/17

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Platesetter

Means to raise the grate to gasket level

Thermopop - don't ned to spend the $$$ on the TermoPen.  The Pop has worked quite for over many cooks. Have never said, "Damn, I should have bought the Pen". 

Pizza Stone
    New Albany, Ohio 

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I am not leaning towards the aluminum table from SmokeWare. It will cost a little more and I have to convince my wife.

http://smokeware.com/collections/grill-accessories/products/aluminum-slat-table-copper-vein

I got the guy to knock $50 of the cost of the Egg. I plan on adding the ash tool, a plate setter and tool but that is it. A little more than I was originally planning but still in my $1,800 budget.

I think the decrease in fire hazards with the metal table along with the lifetime warranty on it will be good in the long run.
    MiniMax 04/17

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options

I use the nest, not a table, but from the looks of the table design, you might want to add the ash tray for clean up.    Looks like it would really make a huge difference unless you plan to vacuum, which then you would not need the ash tool either....

http://biggreenegg.com/product/ash-pan/

Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

I purchased my Egg today and it should be delivered tomorrow. I ended up going with a smaller wooden table as my wife thought the two tables I was interested in were too big for the area. But she is wanting it to be placed under our porch roof line and if we do that then yes, a smaller table is the better option.

Got the plate setter and an ash tool. Still need to get a lifter for the plate setter.

I'll post pics in a new thread once I get it delivered.
    MiniMax 04/17

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    Time to change your signature line then.......1 wife, 4 kids, 3 dogs, 1 cat, 1 bird  and 1 Egg!!!  Congrats!!!  You are about to have so much fun...and your Dog's will love the Egg!  I know my dog does with what he gets from me from it!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    Speaking of dogs, don't let it hang out by the bottom vent. Sometimes when the fire grate gets a little clogged a backdraft comes flying out of there. Dogs do not like that. Have not had that happed since I got rid of the original grate.
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    Been an egger only since father's day - and despite constantly looking at CGS, etc. have been fine with:
    - ash tool
    - grill lifter
    - plate setter for indirect and L&S
    - Welding gloves
    I recently sprung for a kick ash basket, but not critical.  Weber kettle and gasser are great for storing the hot plate setter, firestarters,...  but haven't used either for cooking since the egg arrived.  I'd suggest saving the balance of the accessory money and using it on great things to cook on the egg like Snake River Farms beef and pork and D'Artagnan poultry! 
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    da87 said:
    Been an egger only since father's day - and despite constantly looking at CGS, etc. have been fine with:
    - ash tool
    - grill lifter
    - plate setter for indirect and L&S
    - Welding gloves
    I recently sprung for a kick ash basket, but not critical.  Weber kettle and gasser are great for storing the hot plate setter, firestarters,...  but haven't used either for cooking since the egg arrived.  I'd suggest saving the balance of the accessory money and using it on great things to cook on the egg like Snake River Farms beef and pork and D'Artagnan poultry! 
    My wife is already asking about selling the Weber and the Egg isn't even delivered yet.  So I guess it is going to have to go. But I haven't used it in over a year so really not a big deal.
    MiniMax 04/17

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Time to change your signature line then.......1 wife, 4 kids, 3 dogs, 1 cat, 1 bird  and 1 Egg!!!  Congrats!!!  You are about to have so much fun...and your Dog's will love the Egg!  I know my dog does with what he gets from me from it!
    I changed it.  :)  :)
    MiniMax 04/17

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Left off coolers and bourbon too, my bad. SORRY.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Tcarfrey
    Options
    six_egg said:
    I think I seen you were thinking of getting a cover? I do not have a wooden table top mine is SS. I have never used a cover and live in the south. It is hot and humid.
    Do you have a picture of this? I'm in Atlanta and would be interested to see
  • Tcarfrey
    Options
    I've been in the restaurant industry for over 15 years and I can tell you a thermopen is a necessity. You'll never look back. If you subscribe to the thermoworks newsletter, they advertise when they have refurb thermopens available. Got mine for $25 cheaper and bought the magnetic silicon boot to go with it - it glows in the dark!
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

I purchased my Egg today and it should be delivered tomorrow. I ended up going with a smaller wooden table as my wife thought the two tables I was interested in were too big for the area. But she is wanting it to be placed under our porch roof line and if we do that then yes, a smaller table is the better option.

Got the plate setter and an ash tool. Still need to get a lifter for the plate setter.

I'll post pics in a new thread once I get it delivered.
    Congratulations and welcome to the club! If you are going to get some kind of tool to lift the platesetter, you might as well buy a PSWoo from CGS. I really like the handle version. It's really just a different kind of plate setter lifter. =)
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    Still need to get a lifter for the plate setter.
    IMHO, a pair of welder's gloves would be a more versatile option.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,432
    Options
    Today is the day!

What are you cooking first? 

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • ElkhornHusker
    Options
    The only things I have are a plate setter, Ash tool, pizza stone and electric starter.  Hindsight I would not buy the starter.  Had the egg 1.5 years and have just started looking accessories.  My advice is see how and what you want to cook and go from there.  Also do not buy accessories with the BGE logo you will overpay.
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr.