Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The relentless naan thread ( long)

2»

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,786
    Toxarch said:
    Out of curiosity, can I ask what part of India you or your ancestors are from? I assume somewhere in North India since you are after the perfect Naan. I was born in Texas and my parents are from Karnataka. It's mostly chapati in the South, but I do enjoy a good Naan. I wondered if you have tried any Indian flours rather than bread or AP flours. 
    I went to school near Delhi and grew up in Kolkata for a while. Mom was Punjabi, Dad is Bengali, so we grew up eating Punjabi/Northern Indian and Bengali food. 

And I can't believe I didn't think about using maida! Where's that facepalm emoji?? I'll try that. Most recipes equate it to bread flour, but I'm not sure that is entirely accurate.

Thanks for the tip!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    caliking said:
    Two platesetters did the trick for me.
    I remember your setup. It gets the naan high in the dome, but the naan doesn't see the fire. 

I might let that one slip by though. Just because its you. 

It sees the flame wrapping around the dome. When I said hot as you can get it...I meant exactly that.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    edited October 2016
    caliking said:
    And I can't believe I didn't think about using maida! Where's that facepalm emoji?? I'll try that. Most recipes equate it to bread flour, but I'm not sure that is entirely accurate.

@caliking .. I thought maida was nothing but All Purpose flour. I have made Naans on my BGE before, but often given up as I can get better Naans from the frozen section of the Indian Grocery store (Haldirams, kawan etc.) I am definitely going to try your recipe on my Weber KettlePizza as that approximates a wood fired pizza oven and the dough can certainly "see the fire".
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 927
    Awesome job on the recipe. I've had great naan only at one local restaurant, long gone now. So I'm anxious to give your method a try at home.

One question: One of your steps is this:
    - On a well floured surface, roll out the naans, ~1/16" thick. Dock the naan with a sharp knife.

Not sure exactly what you mean by "docking" the naan.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • caliking said:
    Dangit. Was really hoping to cost you some forum dollars here. 
    Dude... have mercy. I already have a KBQ on the grey list.
    They kind of look alike to the untrained eye. I think you should get both and act like "I told you I was getting that" if she asks. Works for me.  
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    caliking said:
    Dangit. Was really hoping to cost you some forum dollars here. 
    Dude... have mercy. I already have a KBQ on the grey list.
    They kind of look alike to the untrained eye. I think you should get both and act like "I told you I was getting that" if she asks. Works for me.  

• VB_egger
    VB_egger Posts: 364
    I did not read any of the comments. I have spent a lot of time in the Middle East. A whole lot. Eaten a lot of butter chicken with naan bread. Oh man I do miss it. Just buy the store bought stuff heat it in the egg and call it good. 
    VA Beach
  • caliking
    VB_egger said:
    I did not read any of the comments. I have spent a lot of time in the Middle East. A whole lot. Eaten a lot of butter chicken with naan bread. Oh man I do miss it. Just buy the store bought stuff heat it in the egg and call it good. 
    Go back and read the comments and the starting post. You'll realize that throwing a store-bought naan on the egg is not an option :) 

• caliking
    OhioEgger said:
    Awesome job on the recipe. I've had great naan only at one local restaurant, long gone now. So I'm anxious to give your method a try at home.

One question: One of your steps is this:
    - On a well floured surface, roll out the naans, ~1/16" thick. Dock the naan with a sharp knife.

Not sure exactly what you mean by "docking" the naan.
    Docking means making a bunch of holes in the rolled out dough to keep it from ballooning up while it bakes. Keeps it relatively flat, but still bubbly in spots. I took a paring knife and just stabbed the naan with the tip to make very small slits. 

• caliking
    caliking said:
    Two platesetters did the trick for me.
    I remember your setup. It gets the naan high in the dome, but the naan doesn't see the fire. 

I might let that one slip by though. Just because its you. 

It sees the flame wrapping around the dome. When I said hot as you can get it...I meant exactly that.
    Not the same thing. Thats the equivalent of looking over your shoulder to see something behind you. 

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,742
    caliking said:
    blind99 said:
    Very nice write up. You may have a second career writing recipes!

i wonder how it would turn out if you put it right on the grill above the coals, maybe with the hit platesetter write on top of it? (Not crushing it, just feet down, on the grill)
    That may be worth trying. Provided the dough doesn't fall through the grid. Thanks.
    That's how I had the best results on the Egg.  It works surprisingly well.  That being said, the range in my kitchen has an infrared broiler element.  That combined with a pizza stone does a decent job.... pretty close to the real texture.  Maybe a mix of bread and cake flour?

paqman said:
    That's how I had the best results on the Egg.  It works surprisingly well.  That being said, the range in my kitchen has an infrared broiler element.  That combined with a pizza stone does a decent job.... pretty close to the real texture.  Maybe a mix of bread and cake flour?
    I think the Serious Eats recipe had tried cake flour and the texture was off. Even their final version was quite off the mark IMO. 

How hot does your IR broiler get? I wish mine went higher than 500 before locking up the oven. 

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    I tried the Relentless Naan recipe last night with very good relults. It was an impulse decision, so I didn't think I had time for the sourdough approach set forth in Relentless Naan II - Naansanity Reigns (http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1205398/the-relentless-naan-thread-part-2-also-long-but-i-think-i-nailed-it)

Three notes:
    • I was advised that the temp in this version is too hot, and closer to 450F is better
    • I replaced the bread flour with Tipo 00, because I am swimming in the stuff - Highly recommended
    • I now almost never use my MM, and have though of selling it. However, it is awesome for a tailgate naan operation, and that alone will keep it in the stable
    Next time, I am going to try RNII, and use my fancy pizza flour on that

Final note - baingan bharta done by roasting the eggplant on the BGE is a winner

(sorry for no pics - the masses were hungry, as was I)

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • caliking
    The RNII thread supersedes this one, so that's the one to follow in the future.

But think you're on to something with the 00. The naan texture was really quite good. Better than what I got at the time, following the same recipe and protocol.

500 Posts: 3,180
    Thread rehash;  I'd like to give this a go.  My primary reason for finding this thread was to see if anyone has made Baingan Bharta.  Search results came up empty, so someday I'll smoke some eggplant and make it.  
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    500 said:
    Thread rehash;  I'd like to give this a go.  My primary reason for finding this thread was to see if anyone has made Baingan Bharta.  Search results came up empty, so someday I'll smoke some eggplant and make it.  
    I make similar. I smoke aubergine slices then fry in oil (once smoked / dried out, they fry quickly and absorb a lot less oil) and add to a tomato based curry sauce.
  • caliking
    Usually, baingan bharta calls for the eggplant to be roasted/charred over flame. I was never a fan of it as a kid. Probably would have been a different story, if I had grown up eating a version of it that called for smoked eggplant. 

• Eoin
    caliking said:
    Usually, baingan bharta calls for the eggplant to be roasted/charred over flame. I was never a fan of it as a kid. Probably would have been a different story, if I had grown up eating a version of it that called for smoked eggplant. 
    Smoked then fried is excellent.
    500 Posts: 3,180
    https://www.cookwithmanali.com/baingan-bharta/
    This is the Baingan Bharta recipe I found. I was thinking of smoke/roasting the eggplant at like 300*~325* until it’s soft, then finishing the dish inside, and then at the end grilling the naan on the pizza stone. Not sure how either of these two dishes will work, as I’ve never made either, but Mrs. 500 only orders Baingan Bharta when we get get Indian carryout. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Eoin
    500 said:
    This is the Baingan Bharta recipe I found. I was thinking of smoke/roasting the eggplant at like 300*~325* until it’s soft, then finishing the dish inside, and then at the end grilling the naan on the pizza stone. Not sure how either of these two dishes will work, as I’ve never made either, but Mrs. 500 only orders Baingan Bharta when we get get Indian carryout. 
    Chapatis are good on the Egg too. Direct on a hot fire.
  • caliking
    Eoin said:
    500 said:
    Chapatis are good on the Egg too. Direct on a hot fire.
    Yep. Chapatis/rotis very much benefit from the direct flame treatment.