Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Leg of lamb.

Options
Spinning this now.  
BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Standing by for the finale sister. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    You and sister @Dredger have just about convinced me into getting a JT. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Firstly. This looks like it'll be  real good. Now...I'm just curious do you still cook on a grid or baking stone?  Or has the Joetisserie taken over completely on all egging ventures?  I thought about purchasing one but, my personal thoughts are it would get a bunch of use initially and then the new and novelty would wear off. But, you seem to get lots of use. In fact I don't recall a recent cook you've posted that didn't involve the gadget. This isn't a poke. Hopefully it doesn't come off that way. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Killit_and_Grillit Posts: 4,326
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Looks amazing. Much better than the "leg of goat" that I ate in and day out in Afghanistan that makes my stomach turn now when I smell lamb. (I think my hatred of lamb is how the terrorists planned on winning ;) )

But I think that would take a bite of that!

Edit: Side note. Why do we always call it "leg of" when referring to lamb. Does anyone know? It feels a little cocky on the lambs part. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• SGH
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Edit: Side note. Why do we always call it "leg of" when referring to lamb. Does anyone know? It feels a little cocky on the lambs part. 
    The exact start of the nomenclature is not known to my knowledge. But it's use can be traced back to at least the mid 1800's. 
    However, the use of the nomenclature is known. Before modern grading and labeling standards were established, "leg of lamb" simply signified that the meat came from the leg of 1 of 3 animals. All which are domesticated sheep. 
    The usage became so common place that it remains to this day. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited September 2016
    Options
    And in case you are wondering, the 3 animals are a lamb, mutton and a hogget. The Google Gods are fixing to be all over that hogget word =)
    To save you the suspense, it has nothing to do with a hog or pork. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @eggnewtoy
    Sister, my apologies for hijacking above. 

Status- Standing by.

• BrueggeDad
    Options
    You definitely got it going on right there!
    XL BGE  - Virginia
  • eggnewtoy
    Options
    @SGH--no offense taken, my bro.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    The spin looks good!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • eggnewtoy
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL I use it a lot because the food tastes better, is more tender, and cooks more evenly. I have adapted a lot of my recipes for spinning.  That being said, doing a brisket next week and will be making it on the grill.  Don't spin fish either.  ;)

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Like I said...no poke. You're killing it :clap:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    I bet that smells great.. Love lamb..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    SGH said:
    And in case you are wondering, the 3 animals are a lamb, mutton and a hogget. The Google Gods are fixing to be all over that hogget word =)
    To save you the suspense, it has nothing to do with a hog or pork. 
    Those 3 are all the same animal, just different ages. Similar to a heifer vs cow, but not quite the same. Mutton always refers to goat where my ancestors are from.

Rack of lamb is also something that seems to only apply the sheep.

On the Joetisserie, is it permanent so that you can close the lid or is it a temporary install and the lid stays open? Hard to control the cooking temp?
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I'm assuming this is boneless - did you have to de-bone? Is there a difference in cooking time using the JT vs regular roasting? That looks delicious. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Looks fantastic @eggnewtoy. I wish that I was a lamb fan, but, sadly I am not, but that might tempt me to try it again. @SGH, she's right on all counts regarding the superiority of flavor and texture of spinning versus any other method on the egg. I've been a rotisserie fan for many years, so that's why I bought one as soon as they were available. I knew spinning over lump and wood chunks would be a whole new experience and it is. We're about to get a break from months of record setting heat, so I will resume my longer cooks, hopefully this week. Just been doing burgers and steaks, which I have posted before, so saw no need to post again. Fingers crossed that the weather folks will get it right, lol.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • ThrillSeeker
    Options
    @eggnewtoy Do you have to remove the Joetissirie "band"in order to do other cooks?

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    @eggnewtoy Do you have to remove the Joetissirie "band"in order to do other cooks?
    It just sits/rests on the base. No bolts or anything. Can be removed just by lifting it off. The dome will still close and seal with the exceptions of small air gaps from the spit rod. So yes, you can also cook/roast with the dome closed.
    You could in-fact leave it in place and cook on the standard cooking grate but it comes off so easy there would be no reason to leave it in place when your not using it.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • ThrillSeeker
    Options

Thanks...I'm still trying to talk myself into spending 250 for that or 250 for the 36 inch blackstone .  (apples and oranges)

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I'm dying to try rotisserie like this:

I don't think I would spring for a JT, but I'm going to try this. I'll start with chicken. Do you experts think it will be the same cooked vertically vs horizontally?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • eggnewtoy
    Options
    Oh, me too.  Looks great!

• eggnewtoy
    Options
    @ThrillSeeker--no.  Sits perfectly.

• eggnewtoy
    Options
    @Dredger--right on.  We just bought a new gas grill after our old Weber said sayonara.  Napolean with a rotisserie, searing, lights (:)) for those times when I can't wait for the fire.  I really love it.  Doing a chicken right now.  

• eggnewtoy
    Options
    @keepervodeflame.  Very cool.  Thx

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    I hear ya @eggnewtoy, there are times that I just want to get back inside and off the deck as quickly as possible. To that end, we just added a grill box for our Expedition 3 burner propane unit. Certainly not the egg, but does okay in a pinch when I don't want to smoke up the kitchen. Was considering a pellet grill, but no room left on the deck, so the grill box made more sense. That shot of the finished lamb does look tempting, lol.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    That looks so delicious!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @eggnewtoy - the joetisserie looks interesting. I watched a youtube clip of someone using it on a LBGE, it explained how to get the seal working as the JT has slope that matches the angle of the lid when it is closed ... but it still looked to me as though the seal wasn't quite tight. Could you share some pictures of yours with the lid down please?

EDIT: Showed this to SWMBO, as amazingly it is available in the UK. I posed the question of whether it was worth the money and how often we would use it, she said "yes and once a week". :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvf4pUdLBZA

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• bhedges1987
    Options
    Looks fantastic, as always.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf