Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokeware cap? Who needs it?

For those who like their daisy wheel and have a chimney starter, 10 cents worth of foil is all you need...

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited September 2016
    Don't be hatin

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    What's a chimney starter got to do with it? My solution is not to grill in the rain.=)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    What's a chimney starter got to do with it? My solution is not to grill in the rain.=)
    It wasn't raining when I started... :o
    Old people solutions. 
    Hmmm, 32 is the new 70?
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    All fun and games until it blows off during a storm.  Been there, done that, got the Smokeware t-shirt.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• I do it in the rain with a daisy wheel and no cover. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    I do it in the rain with a daisy wheel and no cover. 

rawdawg!  get on wich yar bad self.
    Phoenix 
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Focker said:
    All fun and games until it blows off during a storm.  Been there, done that, got the Smokeware t-shirt.
    Point taken, no wind so I'll be ok but I can see that causing a problem
  • blasting said:
    Thermapen, Smokeware cap, Kick ash basket

they should all be standards when you buy a $1000 flower pot.
    LOL 

exactly what my wife called it when she saw the egg the first time. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Foil or smokeware cap they both belong in the trailer park.
    LBGE, Stoker WiFi, UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker
  • blasting said:
    GatoGordo said:
    Foil or smokeware cap they both belong in the trailer park.

I don't ever knowingly hit the disagree button, but I've got to ask - are you high?

First time for everything 
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    If you move that foil to the right a little you'll probably pick up the radio signals the aliens are trying to send us...
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    If the daisy wheel is on and you just have the little holes open fully or partially very little rain is going to get into your egg.

A few months ago we had a 2" of rain in a couple of hours event. Wasn't using the Egg but I did have the little holes in the wheel open and as it turned out I had left a clean drip pan sitting on the top grate. When I opened the Egg later that evening after the storm there was a whopping 2 tablespoons +/- of water in that pan. Hardly an amount I would worry about. Glad that drip pan was there because I was always curious about just how much rain might get into an Egg during a typical thunderstorm.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    GatoGordo said:
    Foil or smokeware cap they both belong in the trailer park.

What exactly is wrong with a trailer park? Crappiest people I know are judgemental punks that look down their noses at other people. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    XC242 said:
    If you move that foil to the right a little you'll probably pick up the radio signals the aliens are trying to send us...
    My satellite reception is better now that I got my Smokeware.  =)
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    I just use an old coffee can with holes punched in the sides. Its pretty ghetto looking but works well. Phuck the storms. Egg doesn't seem to notice a difference.  
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Serious question fellows, what is the appeal of the Smokeware cap? Is it that it looks cool or does it contribute something that I'm overlooking? 
    To be clear, I of all people fully understand wanting something as opposed to needing something. And that in it's self is my question, is more of a want instead of an actual need. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• blasting
    @SGH  

I think the adjustment holds better than a dw.  
    No worries of rain or weather.
    People with taste like the look of it better.

Phoenix 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    I'm guessing the appeal is a few things:

1 - rain won't enter
    2 - settings won't change when the dome is opened
    3 - stainless won't rust

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• If it works better, who cares how it looks. No offense, as beautiful as the egg is, it's just as ugly to many, but nothing works better!!!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • No shame in the foil game.  Also, keep in mind that this picture was taken at 10:30 PM...meaning that's just a lightning strike acting as a flash for the camera
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    SGH said:
    Serious question fellows, what is the appeal of the Smokeware cap? Is it that it looks cool or does it contribute something that I'm overlooking? 
    To be clear, I of all people fully understand wanting something as opposed to needing something. And that in it's self is my question, is more of a want instead of an actual need. 
    I think it's a nice design and function but I think the daisy wheel in general is overrated for most cooks. Anything above 300 temperature can be controlled with the bottom vent. Just one extra step in my opinion with having to adjust another vent. I'm not saying the daisy wheel isn't useful but 90% of my cooks don't ever see a daisy wheel. Which makes me not see the value in a Smokeware cap. I'm sure it's great and a wonderful product but it would sit on a shelf next to my daisy wheel collecting dust. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    blasting said:

The SW cap does look nice and compliments the BGE well. And that was kind of my hunch as to its appeal. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• blasting
    SGH said:
    blasting said:

The SW cap does look nice and compliments the BGE well. And that was kind of my hunch as to its appeal. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion.  

I'll bet that's why a lot are sold.   For me stable adjustments, and the weather protection were biggies.
    Phoenix 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    And no bald spots on your meat.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Hey, I was one of the nay sayers. Then one day I found it on sale. Said, why not? I have spent more money on several worthless crap for the egging experience than this. Now, I like it. 
    You need to give it a go. And tell us what you think. 
    All IEDs with foil and crap are deplorable.  =)

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• If you go back to the old forum, long before the days of the smokeware cap, or even the dual function aspect of the BGE cap........

The solution was taking an empty coffee can or 64oz fruit/veg can, and cutting a hole in the side near what would be the bottom of it was upright can.  Flip it upside down, angle the cut out downwind, then put it over the top of the Daisy wheel.  Viola!  No rain, no wind/flue, more money for meat.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    blasting said:
    SGH said:
    blasting said:

I'll bet that's why a lot are sold.   For me stable adjustments, and the weather protection were biggies.
    It only rains twice a year where you live @blasting. Lol