Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokeware cap? Who needs it?

Options
2»

Comments

• johnmitchell
    Options
    I used one for the first time at @bgebrent lake house last weekend. I loved it and have ordered one for my large... 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,193
    Options
    I used one for the first time at @bgebrent lake house last weekend. I loved it and have ordered one for my large... 
    I would have given you mine if I had known. 
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Thanks... But didn't you say your one was a lemon.. :s.. LOL..
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Friends don't give friends crap... ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,193
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    According to the folks at Smokeware, there's nothing wrong with it. 
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    According to the folks at Smokeware, there's nothing wrong with it. 
    Maybe Jason needs one...
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    My main concern was the snow. Last thanksgiving it made deep frying turkeys an awful task. Roasting them on the BGE this year and didn't want to take any chances. Then when you have one you gotta get four.....
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I have had the 1st and 2nd gen SW caps. Really love the 2nd gen. Far superior to the DW.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Go fund me? 
    Seattle, WA
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    feef706 said:

For those who like their daisy wheel and have a chimney starter, 10 cents worth of foil is all you need...
    Where does the duct tape go?  You can't sport a rig like that without the handyman's secret weapon!
    Flint, Michigan
  • BilZol
    Options
    feef706 said: 

For those who like their daisy wheel and have a chimney starter, 10 cents worth of foil is all you need...
    Where does the duct tape go?  You can't sport a rig like that without the handyman's secret weapon!

Bailing wire! Bailing wire,....get it right, not duck tape appropriate. Geeze.  B)
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,354
    Options
    If you go back to the old forum, long before the days of the smokeware cap, or even the dual function aspect of the BGE cap........

The solution was taking an empty coffee can or 64oz fruit/veg can, and cutting a hole in the side near what would be the bottom of it was upright can.  Flip it upside down, angle the cut out downwind, then put it over the top of the Daisy wheel.  Viola!  No rain, no wind/flue, more money for meat.
    Many folks have also used roof vent caps.

I've used one occasionally decades ago but they have a tendency to get blown off when a squall passes thru.

I can see where the snug fit of the Smokeware cap has some advantage over some of the alternatives.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• BilZol
    Options
    BilZol said:
    My main concern was the snow. Last thanksgiving it made deep frying turkeys an awful task. Roasting them on the BGE this year and didn't want to take any chances. Then when you have one you gotta get four.....
    I've never had a problem with the snow. Unless i forget to close the dome.

Smokeware cap improves your memory. Just sayin......, thats really why I bought it.  =)
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Wife and kids got me one for my bday...plus a replacement done thermo. All installed and will give a workout next weekend. I've had a few issues with the stock cap...but those are directly attributable to inebriation. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited September 2016
    Options
    SGH said:
    Serious question fellows, what is the appeal of the Smokeware cap? Is it that it looks cool or does it contribute something that I'm overlooking? 
    To be clear, I of all people fully understand wanting something as opposed to needing something. And that in it's self is my question, is more of a want instead of an actual need. 

The only reason I bought one was because I have one egg that doesn't get much use and it as a tendency to get mold if it rains and is not used for a week or so. The SW cap allows me to keep the egg vented on top and below with the lower vent open and prevents this. Other then that, while it works well when I use it, I don't plan on replacing the DFMT on my other egg that gets used almost daily. That egg sits under a patio and gets no rain.