Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Slow cook a catfish?

Options
I have a friend coming for the weekend making an elaborate larb recipe from her family's repertoire. She's asked me to slow cook catfish ahead of time with some smoke. Any tips?

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    As in smoke it whole L&S?  I'm gonna say I'd think the texture would be "different". I would prefer it pan fried, deep fried or baked with a broiler crust finish. 
    Although whole or filleted you could smoke for a bit just to pick up a little smoke profile and then finish off with a CI pan sear/crust. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • ShesGotEggs
    ShesGotEggs Posts: 103
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Yes as in "smoke it whole L&S". Although I am not even sure I can get a fresh catfish here in the Pacific NW. Guess I better start catfish hunting!
  • rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Options
    never done one that way, but if you can get 2 whole filets, why not do it similar to a salmon filet??
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    LoL Now you went and done it & it's not even Friday. :lol: And I'm sure your market will at least have fresh "farm raised" fillets. Maybe not wild caught though. Check a fresh seafood market. Catfish are pretty much everywhere in the US. 
    For your viewing pleasure :wink: 
    https://youtu.be/inyypMDYaGU

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Yes as in "smoke it whole L&S". 
    There is nothing to it. Simply lock your BGE/Smoker in at 175-200 degrees and smoke the catfish until it flakes easily. This works well with large fillets as well as whole fish. For the record, when doing "whole" fish I limit them to around 5 pounds. I fillet the larger fish and smoke them as either fillets or steaks. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    SGH said:
    There is nothing to it. Simply lock your BGE/Smoker in at 175-200 degrees and smoke the catfish until it flakes easily. This works well with large fillets as well as whole fish. For the record, when doing "whole" fish I limit them to around 5 pounds. I fillet the larger fish and smoke them as either fillets or steaks. 

@sgh No crispy finish Scotty?

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SGH
    Options
    SGH said:

@sgh No crispy finish Scotty?

I was just answering her question about how to "low and slow" a catfish. As much as I enjoy catfish, I much prefer them deep fried myself. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Fry it, pan sear it, grill it.  Don't low and slow.  
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • SGH
    Options
    Sister I was short on time when I answered earlier. However I'm settled in now and would like to add the following addendum to the above. 
    If you are going to smoke them, please know that Blue Cat can be very strong. Especially if they have any size to them. Flathead and River Cat lend themselves much better to smoking than their wicked step cousin the Blue Cat. With that said, if you are buying store bought fish, you will be at the mercy of whatever they sell. 
    Fish cooks so fast that if you run any higher than 200 degrees you are basically just baking it. Thus my above recommendation of 175 degrees. 
    Im more of a deep fry guy when it comes to catfish. However the above method produces about as good of a smoked catfish that you could ask for. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @ShesGotEggs
    Sister, you still have the coolest user name on the forum. 

Status- Standing by.

• ShesGotEggs
    Options
    Thank you @SGH! No catfish were to be found in my town, so my friend brought one - not sure where she got it or what type it was. I went with @rmr62 suggestion and smoked it like a salmon since i have lots of experience with that (my only experience with catfish is stepping on their barb in the bottom of a boat when I was a little kid...) Turned out amazing! Thanks all for the help.
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I prefer catfish fried whole. IF they get big enough to cut into fillets they taste different than when fried whole.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group