Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer can chicken?

So I'm lazy and didn't search but I want to make beer can chicken. Is it direct or indirect? Chicken is about 5-7lbs. 

Suggestions ns on cook time and temp? 

Jay 

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,488
    edited September 2016
    I do raised, indirect until I hit 180 in thigh. I mostly spatchcock now. I see no benefit from beer can method. 375* until you hit temp or leg easily pulls 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Beer can is fun, but not the ideal way to cook a chicken. In the egg a spatchcocked bird is best, it will stay moist. If you are determined to have it cooked vertically, indirect is best. Another twist is to invert the bird, stand it on it's head, feet up. The reason is in the egg, with a setter in the air is hotter higher in the dome, just what you want for chicken, more heat to the dark meat legs and thighs (target 170ºish) while keeping the breasts closer to 160ºish. Good luck!
    Check out Amazing Ribs for why a beer can is not the best....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I don't need to do the beer can method just looked neat.

whats this spatchcock method you guys talk about? 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,488
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• ^thoughts on temp, seasoning and time for this method? 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,391
    Truth be told, last week I didn't feel like spatching the chix so I decided to go beer-can (first time in years).  I had planned for the inverted chix but no joy as absent major surgery the can wasn't gonna fit ;) .  Went "regular" vertical indirect around 350*F) and it turned out great.  I did ice the breasts to slow down their cook rate.  Not sure if it is more work to spatch the chix or extract the can... FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,920
    edited September 2016
    ...  I had planned for the inverted chix but no joy as absent major surgery the can wasn't gonna fit ;)...
    I did one inverted recently, no beer can (way too wide). Even with a narrow funnel-like BGE turkey stand I had to make two incisions next to the neck (didn't want to break the breast bone) to fit. It was a small chicken though.

canuckland
  • lousubcap
    You surgeons are too skilled for me  ;)  Given the infrequency of the urge I will likely not acquire another BGE toy but thanks for the info.  Seems there is always something to throw money toward...  Now if I could only generate it at the same rate.
    @Canugghead - that is a great looking bird right there-great cook. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,920
    Apology to OP for thread jacking. @lousubcap thanks, haha I had a $150 cooks appreciation gift certificate to spend, for cooking at an eggfest ;)
    canuckland
  • Still looking for temps, times and seasoning tips for spatchcock chicken...
  • lousubcap
    Want no more-give the below link a look:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm  BTW that site contains a wealth of ceramic cooking info-chances are any question you have, the answer will be there, somewhere.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,849
    BigBlackV said:
    Still looking for temps, times and seasoning tips for spatchcock chicken...
    You can cook a chicken at pretty much any temp from 200-450 or so (with the sweet spot being about 375, IMO), direct (usually raised) or indirect (my preference).  Anything from simple salt and pepper to herb-garlic mixture, to a spicy jerk-style rub, to regular BBQ rub or sauce all work well.  You can pretty much cook chicken any way with any seasoning and it's going to come out pretty good.

Just make sure you cook to 160 in the breast, and 165-180 in the thigh, and you'll be fine.

Air-drying your chicken in the fridge before cooking will help crisp up the skin during the cook.
    NOLA
  • nth78
    nth78 Posts: 154
    BigBlackV said:
    Still looking for temps, times and seasoning tips for spatchcock chicken...
    I usually do 400* indirect for one hour.  
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    400, Raised Direct.  Raised means the cooking grate is at the gasket level or higher.  Direct means no plate setter or ceramic stone.  

Any my rub will do, just keep in mind sugar burns at higher temps.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • lousubcap said:
    Want no more-give the below link a look:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm  BTW that site contains a wealth of ceramic cooking info-chances are any question you have, the answer will be there, somewhere.

Great link thank you! 
  • Just started my chicken, raised it up with bricks lol 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Gonna be some good eats in your near future. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.