Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Totally OT - Iphone user to Android? Anyone switch?

Options
Dondgc
Dondgc Posts: 709
edited August 2016 in Off Topic
I was a crackberry addict until I slipped my BB sim card into an Iphone 3g years ago and never looked back.  I am overdue for a technology upgrade and I have to say that Samsung's newest efforts - the S7 Edge and Note 7 - are really impressive.  Spectacular Super AMOLED screens, outstanding cameras, waterproof (within limits), wireless charging...And the Samsung S2 watch includes cellular connectivity..

I am not tied into the Apple ecosystem beyond phones; email is all through Exchange so that's not a consideration for me.

I know Apple is about to announce the Iphone 7 in a couple of weeks but if the rumor mill is correct it won't offer any of the features I noted above, except perhaps for a new camera.

Am I crazy? Have others made the swap from iOS to Android and lived happily ever after?

Don
New Orleans LA

Comments

• NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    I've switched to a Droid and gladly paid a restocking fee to switch back to an iPhone.  I'm a fairly techy individual, so a Droid intrigued me...with that being said, it was overly buggy (but it's been multiple years since my last experience).

I agree entirely - the iPhone is subpar to a number of Samsung devices; the iPad is subpar when compared to the Windows Surface devices, etc.  But there is something to be said for reliability...and the simplicity of the ecosystem that can be created (I have an iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and MacBook Pro).  

I wouldn't be opposed to trying again.
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    But there is something to be said for reliability...and the simplicity of the ecosystem that can be created 
    I have to agree with the above 100%. However, for the record, im not tech savy at all. As such, I can not use any of the devices to their limit. So I can't say which one is best at this or that. However I can say that I'm in my third year of use on the same iPhone and it has always worked flawlessly. It's about as user friendly as it gets. And it does the things that I want it to do effortlessly. 
    If I had to guess, each probably has its strong and weak points. But it's the simplicity of the iPhone that keeps me with Apple. 
    I have had a iPad for two years, give or take a little either way, and in that same time I have went through two name brand lap tops. So just basing it on my own limited experience with electronics, Apple certainly seems to have a edge in quality. My next lap top will be an Apple. Apple products seem to be ideal for folks like myself. People with limited computer skills that still want a quality product. Just my thoughts.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Golfguy77
    Options
    Stay with the apple.  I went to the droid and don't really care for it.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    I use Apple computers at home but my first cellphone was an '07 Tracfone; I had to replace it a couple months ago as the "G2" network it used was going away.  Because Tracfone minutes "roll over", I didn't want to lose the +7,000 minutes I had built up so I went with an Android/LG smartphone, $99.  It works okay, and for what little use I have with a phone, it was the right choice for me (would love to have the iPhone's cameras, guess my Nikon Df will have to suffice!)

One caveat regarding Tracfone: if you have difficulties, keep experimenting on their website, do NOT bother with their telephone "Help" line.  I was on Hold for a personal-record seven hours and forty minutes, and they answered, and hung up, while I was in the bathroom.  I was fit to be tied that night....  
    :anguished:

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I handed in my S3 iPhone with a bashed and cracked glass case. I went with the droid. So far, so good. Kind of like @SGH with the tech skills. I know what I need to work with, and this does all I need it to, plus, I am learning to do more. I like it. No issues thus far, and with the way Cell phones are introduced, none are 100% when dumped into the market, the bug fixes follow them all.
    I do not see any difference today between either as far as repair on the run by the manufacturer with updates. In fact the few I have noticed were done without me having to do an install, unlike with the updates on my old S3 iPhone. Just get a message telling you it has been fixed. That is pretty cool.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Never switched with the phone (family (3 others) did go to I-phone)-I did go from a long-time windows user to the Apple dark-side on the computer back in 2013.  No issues except I am not a fan of their implied control.
    So, I will always stay with android on the phone- no reason other than the more openness of the platform.  And I am about as close to luddite status as you can earn.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Sinking thread test post.
    Edit:Why yes-this thread has qualified for sinking status.  So much for knowledge.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    For personal use my first smart phone was a Samstunk Galaxy. It died exactly on it's one year anniversary when it's warrantee ran out and I was half way through a two year contract. $$$$$. I immediately switched to an iPhone 5 and never had a bit of trouble out of it. At work the first issued me a Blackberry curve, all I can say is that I could at least check my email in the field. When it's screen died they offered me a choice: another blackberry, an iPhone 4S, or an unknown Android. Since I had the personal iPhone 5 I went with the iPhone 4S and again never had a bit of trouble for almost 3 years. When it got lost they replaced it with an iPhone 5S for my last year of employment and it was doing well until I deliberately reformatted it(as requested) on my last day. My personal phone is an iPhone 6 right now which I hope to keep till the iPhone 8 comes out. Oh and I'm typing this on an iMac.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I had a Samsung Galaxy for the past years until a few weeks ago. That phone was a dinosaur, and I had to restart it a couple of times a day. 

I switched over to an Iphone6s and WOW! I was blown away. I love everything about it. The volume is higher, and the sound is so much better. On my old phone I only had Wifi in my garage and right beside my house in my yard. On this new one I have it all over my yard! Out by the pool etc. 

The video quality is awesome. Netflix, HBOGO, MaxGo, etc. have never looked so good. I used to hate texting. Now I like it. 

A coworker showed me his new Samsung last week. After playing with it for half an hour I am so glad I switched to an Iphone. I will never go back! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I had the iPhone 5S (I'm pretty sure it was a 5S) for two years until my contract ran out and it sucked big time.  I could count on it to freeze & crash about once a month more or less requiring a complete reset.  Maybe I got a lemon, but I had a Droid before and did not have a hard time like I did with that iphone.  I also like the wider selection of free ringtones.  I missed that.  Nothing says love for your MIL like making her ring tone the theme from Sanford & Son.  She sells stuff at flea markets for a hobby.  I'm pretty sure she would be lucky to break even on the whole enterprise.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    We all have iPhones here, except someone at a cell phone store talked my elderly parents into purchasing droids.  Huge mistake, IMO.  They are like foreign language to the rest of us with iPhones. We hate them.  If I were Donald Trump, I would propose they be banned from this country.   
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Only thing Apple I own is their stock. Started with a Droid and plan to stay with Droid. Those iPhones are jacked up to use. So confusing and everything looks like Windows 5.1 icons. 

I now have the Samsung Galaxy 7 Edge. It's a great phone and takes wonderful pics. My cousin gets frustrated with her iPhone pics and just asks me to take pics and send them to her. She's amazed at how much better the pics are. I will say the Galaxy Edge is cool, but it's annoying to hold and use one-handed sometimes since almost the entire face is a touch screen. IPhone users pick up my phone and all kinds of stuff starts happening just from the way they are holding it. They are used to flat edges and only one button on the bottom of the front. The regular Galaxy 7 would be a better choice for someone converting from an iPhone unless you are OK with the little frustration on the learning curve.

It does have a new WiFi phone feature that is cool. If the wireless phone signal is low or lost, it will use WiFi to make or receive calls. You can't tell the difference and it switches automatically if you want. Nice for big buildings, bad cell areas with WiFi, or even vacation out of the country. Turn on airplane mode, turn on the WiFi, then make or receive free calls to US. This is only on the 7, not available on the 6 (yet?).
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.