Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Scallops and Fresh grouper - blackened

Options
BBQbutler
BBQbutler Posts: 82
edited August 2016 in Seafood
picked up a Lodge cast iron griddle with some real estate.  Delish!!!
LBGE , 22.5 & 18 WSM, 26.25 Kettle, Jennair Gasser, & a plethora of mobile Webers 
Avid Cubs - Jaguars - Seminole fan. 
Jacksonville, FL

Comments

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    My type of meal. 
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I want to do this. Tell me how it is done.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a first round knockout to me. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    BBQbutler said:
    I have a hunch that the Grouper Gods are smiling down in approval with envious eyes my friend.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Awesome - nice idea for a griddle, too
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    Yes, sir! That's how I do it too. Do you mix your own blackened seasoning? If so, care to share your recipe? I use Zatarain's Blackened Seasoning, which is very good, but also open to trying something new. Thanks for posting.
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Great looking meal brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Dammit Man! :plus_one:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • BBQbutler
    Options
    Eggaroo said:
    Yes, sir! That's how I do it too. Do you mix your own blackened seasoning? If so, care to share your recipe? I use Zatarain's Blackened Seasoning, which is very good, but also open to trying something new. Thanks for posting.
    Yes I make my own blackening season.  It's in a airtight jar in my spice cabinet.  I just keep a smaller amount in the small shaker.  The recipe is off if internet.  I have it in my book.   I will find it when I get a beer. 
    LBGE , 22.5 & 18 WSM, 26.25 Kettle, Jennair Gasser, & a plethora of mobile Webers 
    Jacksonville, FL
  • BBQbutler
    Options
    Rinsed and dried the scallops.  Sprinkled with s&p.    Mixed a little olive oil and soy.  Brushed the grouper and applied the blacken seasoning.   Started the lump.    Put the griddle on my spider for about 20 mins at 400-450 to get hot.  Applied a little oil to the skillet. Spread with spatula.   Put the scallops in. Watch until they Carmelize.  2-3 mins.  Slide them together as they will shrink.  Scrape the griddle.  Add butter. Flip the scallops onto the butter.   Scrape the other side.  Add oil. Then grouper.vremove scallops when both sides are Carmelize.   Look for blackening on the bottom. Flip and add butter.    Grouper is sweet and scallops are sweeter.  So scallops are really better paired with shrimp finished with butter then fresh lemon.   Taste bud Pron!!
    Jacksonville, FL
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Wow.... Thanks for sharing pics and recipe
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    Looks awesome brother
    Dyersburg, TN
  • Captain_Paul
    Options
    Yes please. 
    LBGE, Minimax
    Owensboro, Kentucky
    Go Cats!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Thank you for posting recipes. I cant wait to try them.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky