Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just thinkin' ... sometimes we OVERthink things while striving to attain the ultimate ____ whatever.

Options

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    i light the egg at 7pm, meat goes in at 10pm, i get up at 4am, check egg, make a pot of coffee, pack my cooler with food for the day, jump in the boat and come back at noon or so, eat. no controller here, im betting those with controllers are checking on things a whole lot more than me =) i got my sleep and a days worth of fishing in and never worried about dead batteries or the power going out =)   newbies have problems with temp control, they have problems with temp controllers, they have problems with mustard and no mustard for rubs =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    It seems like all of the Rockwood users have controllers.
  • FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Rockwood user here, but no controller.  I'm hard headed that way.  I refuse to consider a controller until I feel I have mastered this thing, and then maybe I'll decide I don't really need one anyway.  Hey flyerdoc, if you're into gadgets, you may find this amusing,  just gotta love those English.  
    https://youtu.be/kAG39jKi0lI

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• ThrillSeeker
    Options

I use an Auber PID controller for my Akorn but not my egg.

I'm tempted to get a Flame Boss 200 for my large egg just because I like the idea of being able to control the temp via wifi. 

I'll probably get a PSWoo for my large WAY before I get a temp controller though.

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• fishlessman
    Options
    if you absolutely need a gadget, wiggle rod, you can actually just make one =)

fukahwee maine

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I have a digiQ. I have used it several (40 plus in the last year, I am guessing, maybe more?) times for my overnight cooks. Just recently, I have enjoyed the value, finally trusting it to do the job, and sleeping soundly. For me, worth every penny. I would buy it again. I like sleeping.
    Same here. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

Here's an example of why I like my controller.  Wife decided Saturday night that she wanted to take pulled pork to a friend's for lunch.  had to be ready by 10 AM Sunday.  No way I'm staying up all night, and a bit tight for turbo.  Light a small fire, install the blower, and the temp wants to run around 215.  So I set the blower for 210.  I know that the butts will stall during the night, cooking at that temp.  5:45 I wake up, turn on my phone, set the temp to 275, fall back asleep for a bit, and the butts finish around 7:30 and I take them off around 8:30.  And here's a chart for @jeepster47 since he likes them.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    I got great use (much more than just low and slow) from my Stoker back when I had a use for it. I've been thinking of buying one again because I believe that someone could make a solid income by roasting coffee in a basket on a Joetisserie using a draft controller. Wood fired coffee. Some roasting profiles require that the temperature decrease toward the end of the roast, which would be tricky in the Egg, but many successful roast profiles could be carefully controlled and replicated using this setup.

• flyerdoc
    flyerdoc Posts: 141
    edited August 2016
    Options
    SkySaw said:
    I got great use (much more than just low and slow) from my Stoker back when I had a use for it. I've been thinking of buying one again because I believe that someone could make a solid income by roasting coffee in a basket on a Joetisserie using a draft controller. Wood fired coffee. Some roasting profiles require that the temperature decrease toward the end of the roast, which would be tricky in the Egg, but many successful roast profiles could be carefully controlled and replicated using this setup.

Roasting coffee beans, ANOTHER use for the Egg :)
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    blind99 said:

Here's an example of why I like my controller.  Wife decided Saturday night that she wanted to take pulled pork to a friend's for lunch.  had to be ready by 10 AM Sunday.  No way I'm staying up all night, and a bit tight for turbo.  Light a small fire, install the blower, and the temp wants to run around 215.  So I set the blower for 210.  I know that the butts will stall during the night, cooking at that temp.  5:45 I wake up, turn on my phone, set the temp to 275, fall back asleep for a bit, and the butts finish around 7:30 and I take them off around 8:30.  And here's a chart for @jeepster47 since he likes them.

@blind99 ... the graph is interesting. 

From about 11:00pm until 5:30am the Flameboss was sleeping like a baby ... you were controlling the temp in the 215~220 range via your exhaust setting and the Flameboss did nothing ... except be available if the fire started to die out.  At about 5:30am you bumped the target temp up to 275 without changing your exhaust setting.  That's when the Flameboss kicked in ... first by turning the fan on at 100% to get the pit temp up to target and then by running ~20% of the time to keep the pit temp above the "natural" exhaust setting of 220.

Great example of how a fan controller needs to be set up.  Choke down the natural temperature setting below target and force the controller to bring the temp up to target.  If the exhaust is set correctly, then you get the type of results shown from ~6:30 to 7:30am ... the egg rides along right at target temp.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• fishlessman
    Options
    blind99 said:

From about 11:00pm until 5:30am the Flameboss was sleeping like a baby ... you were controlling the temp in the 215~220 range via your exhaust setting and the Flameboss did nothing ... except be available if the fire started to die out.  At about 5:30am you bumped the target temp up to 275 without changing your exhaust setting.  That's when the Flameboss kicked in ... first by turning the fan on at 100% to get the pit temp up to target and then by running ~20% of the time to keep the pit temp above the "natural" exhaust setting of 220.

Great example of how a fan controller needs to be set up.  Choke down the natural temperature setting below target and force the controller to bring the temp up to target.  If the exhaust is set correctly, then you get the type of results shown from ~6:30 to 7:30am ... the egg rides along right at target temp.
    same as cooking like i do with no controller, just make an adjustment in the morning depending on when i want it done  =) that chart just proves its not needed =) theres the evidence us nongadget folks could never prove ;)
    fukahwee maine

• Jeepster47
    Options
    blind99 said:

same as cooking like i do with no controller, just make an adjustment in the morning depending on when i want it done  =) that chart just proves its not needed =) theres the evidence us nongadget folks could never prove ;)
    @fishlessman ... Luddite!

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Maybe we Luddites should have a gathering. Like Butt Blast - only we put everything on the eggs without any controllers and we all just go go bed and sleep like babies. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    The peace of mind i get from being able to walk away is worth the 750 bucks i have invested in three digi q guru adapter setups.   This includes the party q that is batt powered for remote mountain and beach pork taco cooks where electricity isnt accessible
  • fishlessman
    Options
    blind99 said:

@fishlessman ... Luddite!
    ive never worn a watch and yet ive always known when its lunch time =) with a controller, without a controller ....."the egg rides along right at target temp."   =) must be getting close to lunch time, im getting hungry
    fukahwee maine

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    We all need to remember that when @fishlessman estimates how long a cook takes, he is basing it on his use of a sundial. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @Jeepster47 exactly. The FB was an insurance policy against the fire going out. And a lazy way of bumping the temp to finish.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Will throw one other thought in- I use my cyberQ to hot smoke bacon, salmon, etc at 180. 

While led you can technically do this manually it's difficult at best. 

Greensboro, NC
  • J-dubya
    J-dubya Posts: 173
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I have a digiQ. I have used it several (40 plus in the last year, I am guessing, maybe more?) times for my overnight cooks. Just recently, I have enjoyed the value, finally trusting it to do the job, and sleeping soundly. For me, worth every penny. I would buy it again. I like sleeping.

Yup, same here, very happy with mine for long, unattended cooks. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options

Makes a good back scratcher, or cat tormenter, when you get a KAB.  
    :peace:

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• fishlessman
    Options
    Botch said:

Makes a good back scratcher, or cat tormenter, when you get a KAB.  
    :peace:
    i made my own lump grate =) dont need the coathanger anymore
    fukahwee maine

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Well personally I hate gadgets, most technology. and other $hit that requires futzing, or a Phd in IT---because that stuff is guaranteed to fail---no question. That's why I own eggs. Eggs are like a wood stove. Add fuel, set the draft, go to work or sleep or loaf around. To me controllers add work I don't want to do. Worry. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    @flyerdoc I didn't mean to come off harsh, I simply meant if you enjoy cooking without a stoker, that's great, and I enjoy using the stoker - there is more than 1 way to skin a cat was my point. 

I enjoy the set it and forget it on my low and slow cooks, which are really only 3-5 cooks that I can think of, but that's because I have a hectic household. I understand it isn't "required" too. 
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options
    Lit said:
    . I would probably get a stoker if I did it again a buddy of mine has a stoker with cameras set up out back so he can see and control his egg from anywhere. 
    @Lit, why would you get a stoker if you had a "do-over" vs the CyberQ ? 

Is the reason camera-related or something else.
  • flyerdoc
    Options
    BYS1981 said:
    @flyerdoc I didn't mean to come off harsh, I simply meant if you enjoy cooking without a stoker, that's great, and I enjoy using the stoker - there is more than 1 way to skin a cat was my point. 

I enjoy the set it and forget it on my low and slow cooks, which are really only 3-5 cooks that I can think of, but that's because I have a hectic household. I understand it isn't "required" too. 
    I just enjoy hearing the pros and cons...don't have one yet but can see where it could help. Thus the purpose of my initiating this thread, to gather ideas and opinions.
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @flyerdoc ... one needs to develop an understanding of their egg(s) in order to manually control the temp in a consistent manner from cook to cook, as well as, for the duration of each cook.  All of us have stories where early cooks had temps all over the place.  After considerable practice, setting a temp becomes instinctive.

The same process exists with controllers.  Early cooks with my Bubba Guru were frustrating with temps all over the place. It would idle along perfectly for a couple of hours, and then, the temps would take off. It took time to understand how the controller functioned ... and how it didn't function.

As an aside, what I learned with my Guru easily translated over to the Flameboss 200.  And, the great thing about the FB200 is that it has simplified the set up ... I no longer use the Guru to control temp and a Maverick to alert me to temp deviations.

Although many points overlap, the skill/knowledge bases for manual and electronic control of temps are different.  Both take practice.

The argument that manual control is less time consuming is wrong.  My wifi controllers and a portable battery pack to power them are in a plastic "rain box".  I prep the egg and light the fire the same as I do when controlling manually.  The "rain box" is moved next to the egg ... pit temp probe installed and either the blower (Flameboss) or modified daisy wheel (SmoBot) is installed.  The unit is turned on, a temp dialed in, and the lid is closed within a few minutes of lighting the fire.  Then I walk away.  The controllers allow me to prep the protein while they bring the egg up to target temp.  The computer in the kitchen keeps me informed as to what is happening with the egg ... and also the protein later on during the cook.

Please note that I wouldn't make the same argument for a non-wifi controller.  With a non-wifi controller, it becomes somewhat problematic except for overnight low-n-slow cooks.

If you want true simplicity with a high degree of success on an egg, then buy a Flameboss 200 ... and learn to use it. 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Sweet100s said:
    Lit said:
    . I would probably get a stoker if I did it again a buddy of mine has a stoker with cameras set up out back so he can see and control his egg from anywhere. 
    @Lit, why would you get a stoker if you had a "do-over" vs the CyberQ ? 

Is the reason camera-related or something else.
    My cyberq is the old one it isn't wifi so it's kinda worthless as far as linking to it goes. Plus my cyberq controls are complicated. It's always worked fine but have heard good things on the stoker.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    flyerdoc said:
    I am an admitted gadget guy, I love the Egg, I love buying accessories. We have extras that let us cook more or less up or down clean or dirty. The list is almost endless. I start to get jittery when the price lines come near the $100 mark as for thermometers...but, hey, I can justify a Thermopen or Javelin Pro (sorta, I mean I could get by with less but, hell, 2 seconds for a temp read seems justifiable). However, when surpassing the $200 mark I have to wonder if things like the digiQ are really worth the expense and hassle of setting up. Are we better off just doing it "free hand". I mean, are we taking the fun and possible necessary skill out of a simple, read "simple" BBQ? Do we need to channel Star Trek "the new grill movie: to get the perfect 12 hour smoked rib special???

I love buying toys, but you have to convince me a $200+ item is necessary for a long slow cook dinner. I'm thinking I'd rather fly under the radar and do it manually. To HELL with your blowers, your ding dongelers, your automatic smoking machines! I think Dr Seuss would approve. OK, tell me how I am wrong... (remember, I LIKE buying gadgets!).
    I have or have owned the white box Stoker, Stoker WiFi and Stoker WiFi II.  I'm a gadget guy too and love the connectivity and graphing.  I have been happy and with the exception of some water damage to the white box Stoker (Rock repaired for under $30), I haven't had an issue.  In addition, I use it all the time for ribs and longer low and slows.  Love it and consider it $$$ worth spent.  Do you need a Stoker or any other temp controller....heck no.  I just prefer it.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • flyerdoc
    Options
    @Jeepster47

OK, lets take the Flameboss 200 for instance...does it run on batteries or do you need to plug it in? Also, using this gadget, it has the controller, wifi enabled...I like that, and a fan etc. However, I assume it does not control the daisy wheel, so that is something you make a guess at for the cook?